PDA

View Full Version : Dry, red, achey eyes?

Mitch4186
29-04-14, 18:18
Has anyone experienced dry, red eyes with their anxiety? This started about 5 weeks ago. I went to the optician, had an eye exam done and said my eyes were fine, probably just allergies. I just find this hard to believe since I've never had eye allergy issues in the past. Just wondering if anyone else has had eye issues like this caused by anxiety?

Catherine S
29-04-14, 20:20
Hi Mitch, well allergies can start at any time in life, but I'm assuming you don't usually suffer with hay fever since you don't mention it. On the anxiety side, it causes tension and that can affect all of our muscles, even eye muscles. However, the optician dismissed it so I would check with the doctor, as thereis a condition called dry-eye for which you can use medicated eye drops. Just a thought.

ISB x

Mitch4186
29-04-14, 21:00
Thanks for the reply. Yeah my Dr said it was probably due to eye strain from looking at the computer all day (desk job). But I've had the same job for 5 years.. I wonder if it could suddenly become an issue at some point? Maybe my eyes just finally gave in? I'm just worried its some disease causing this, or cancer lol. Idk why I always think worse case scenario but I guess that explains my health anxiety lol.

---------- Post added at 15:00 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

Hey Deadmanwalking, just saw your reply. I use the computer quite often. I have a desk job so I'm always looking at monitors. I just wonder if thats the problem why is it just now becoming a problem for my eyes? You think they just had enough? lol

Mitch4186
29-04-14, 21:32
Yeah true, thinking about it is probably making it worse. Not to mention everything else I've been feeling lately. All seems to be anxiety one way or another.

Catherine S
29-04-14, 23:12
So...whats the conclusion then, its because of sitting in front of a computer all day every day? Something that wasn't mentioned in the original post. This happens, people ask about symptoms and only reveal more possible reasons later on. Glad you have it sorted.

Mitch4186
30-04-14, 01:26
I was curious if there might be a connection between anxiety and dry/red eyes. Obviously I've already considered staring at computer. But this started happening around the same time I started experiencing other symptoms associated with anxiety. Could just be a coincidence. Thanks for the helpful response though.

anxious_thoughts
11-05-14, 02:51
Allergies could cause this and also a lack of sleep.

Sometimes if I'm at school the air is so dry that it makes my eyes really dry and achy. I buy this lubricated eye drops that really work and makes my eyes feel fresh. Try it out :)