PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed! - Starting Effexor

Lluna
30-04-14, 12:08
Hi everyone,

I need to pick your brains on something!
I had been on paroxetine for 15 years. After all that time my doctor put me on Pregabaline and started to wean me off Paroxetine. After a year, I hit a very dark place as soon as I went down to 1 pill of paroxetine a week. So I went back up to 2 and eventually 3.
I went to see another doctor last night as I wasn't getting any better. She is put me on Venlafaxine slow release and once I feel fine then we will make the decision of weaning me off one of the other 2 (paroxetine and pregabaline). I am starting on 75mg once a day.
I suffer from ectopics but not sure how much these are realted to my anxiety but when I have them it send me into panic mode. I have had test done, even a CT scan, and everything is normal. I asked her if Effexor could make my ectopics worst but she wasn't very concerned about this as my ECG's were normal.
I am scared and at the same time excited. I really hope this medication works as I haven't got the strengh to carry on much longer with my anxiety and panic attacks.:weep:

SADnomore
30-04-14, 20:07
Hi, Lluna!
I am on venlaxafine slow release for mainly SAD depression, although at my worst I have anxiety as well. So far, 6 weeks or so in, I am pleased with how it seems to make it easier to not feel the pain of intrusive thoughts quite as much, and to reject them more quickly. One big consideration is whether you want to actually come off of medications in future. If this isn't a concern and you, like me, accept the likelihood of requiring drug treatment long-term, then fine. If you have a goal of withdrawing from all meds, be advised that the withdrawal syndrome with venlaxafine is pronounced and does mean a prolonged discontinuation with a doctor's help. ... Side effects wise it is much easier than some, and I have seen them all depart by 4 1/2 - 5 weeks, happily. You will need to eat something substantial before taking and eat often throughout the day so as to combat nausea, and you must take it at the same time every day. Taking it late or missing a dose will make you feel unwell.
Good luck and I really hope as well that it works for you!
Marie

Lluna
30-04-14, 21:48
Thanks for your reply Marie. I am quite anxious but at the same time excited to be trying something different. I hope it helps my depression, GAD and panic attacks. I really need this to work for the sake of my family!
I don't intend to come off it unless the dr says so. I have been on paroxetine for 15 years and still not sure why they decided to wean me off. It worked ok for me, no side effects but horrible withdrawal sympstoms. I have been coming off it for a year and went down to one 10mg pill a week and then relapsed so went up to 2 again and now 3. If you want me to be honest, I would like to go back on it! But you have to obey your Dr sometimes...
If venlafaxine works, once I am better we'll be dropping the paroxetine and then the pregabaline. So the long term plan is to stay with venlafaxine until a new drug comes to the market and all the doctors decide that Effexor is not good anymore and that it needs to be swapped by this new revolutionary medication :doh:

aprilmoon
30-04-14, 22:59
Hi Lluna
Efexor can be very effective.I'm on it combined with mirtazapine and its really helped me.
Good Luck.

Kelley30
01-05-14, 16:21
Lluna im on week 2 of Venlafaxine, I was on Citalopram before. I suffered GAD, Depression and Panic Attacks too, although Ive had a few side affects from the Ven they have only been minor that I can manage, headaches, a little nausea, slightly heightened anxiety. Other than that they have been really good, Im starting to feel a little better on them and quite excited that I could potentially be anxiety free.once they get in my system properly :)

Lluna
01-05-14, 18:24
Hey everyone,

So it's been day one on the Ven. No naussea, I little bit spaced out but nothing to worry me but I feel very jittery and very anxious and I have had 2 panic attacks. Now, I don't know whether it's in my head or not since in both cases it has gone away once I was distracted.
I'm so scared to take my night dose now, I have quite difficulty having a good night's sleep let alone if I feel jittery and anxious.
I don't know anymore, I feel I'm going a bit crazy :shrug:

SADnomore
02-05-14, 01:36
Hey Lluna,
Hang in there! Hopefully soon you will be in a position to be able to take your Effexor dose as one, extended release capsule in the mornings. Meanwhile, maybe your doctor will prescribe a beta blocker or other med for the jitters? At least for awhile until you're settled in, maybe. :winks: Worth reporting to him. Do you have a check-in appointment in a week or two?
Marie

Lluna
03-05-14, 15:37
Yes Marie. I'm seeing her in 3 weeks and she has prescribed me diazepam.
In the meantime, I went to see my GP. She seemed to be a bit concerned about me taking Ven because I suffer from ectopic heartbeats and she wants me to have a ECG every month whilst I'm on this medication.
Has anyone had problems with the ven and ectopics?
Thanks

Deepthinker
09-05-14, 23:55
Hi, Luna! I hope you are feeling better! :-) Back in 2005, I took Effexor ER 75 mg for a year, then tapered off. I did very well on it. My GP put me on it because I'd had a panic attack after having a heart palpitation. It was my first ever palpitation and panic attack and I didn't know what either of them were. I drove myself to the emergency room. That began my journey with anx/pan. At the end of that year, I tapered off without any trouble and had three more anxiety and panic-free years before the anx/pan crept slowly back in. I have just recently been put on prozac/fluoxetine and am starting to feel so much better after struggling for the past four years with no meds. Hope this encourages you somewhat. Blessings!