PDA

View Full Version : More than 50% of people with cancer today will live 10+ years

cpe1978
30-04-14, 18:55
Afternoon all,

We are very good at drawing out the negative media stories so I thought I would post what has been going round the British media today. Ten year survival rates across all cancers is now 50%.

Personally I find that quite incredible, especially when you put into context the fact that the VAST majority of people who get diagnosed with cancer are in old age anyway, and let's face it we all have to die from something!

Medical science is truly amazing, and for all we knock the NHS we are at the forefront of research around things like genomics which shows phenomenal promise.

LunaLiuna
30-04-14, 19:05
I've read that for some cancers the survival rates after ten years are even around 80% not sure which specifically though, I just noticed the story of reddit lastnight.

Greats news for everyone, especially good old Fishmanpa and the millions of other people in recovery.

Fishmanpa
30-04-14, 19:15
I've read that for some cancers the survival rates after ten years are even around 80% not sure which specifically though, I just noticed the story of reddit lastnight.

Greats news for everyone, especially good old Fishmanpa and the millions of other people in recovery.

Ha... yes... good news indeed for "good ol" me. My long term odds will vastly improve in a year as well.

Positive thoughts

ankietyjoe
30-04-14, 19:33
I wonder how much the age of the patients is taken into account with this statistic?

It's still most likely that the majority of cancer patients will already be 'mature'

My Mothers partner for example, survived prostate cancer 3 years ago at the age of 70. If he lives until the age of 78 (for example) would he go into the 'did not survive 10 years' column? Even without the cancer, he may have still only lived until 78 anyway.

In any case, it's encouraging news.

cpe1978
30-04-14, 19:36
Doesn't say. But I do think that better public health and healthier lifestyles impact the figures.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27194823

ankietyjoe
30-04-14, 19:41
I think there is a lot to be said for preventative education as well as screening and diagnostic improvements.

Smoking, drinking, crap diet, sedentary lifestyles and STRESS etc etc.

NotCool
01-05-14, 01:13
Theoretically speaking, if we lived long enough, we would all get cancer at some point. It's just the nature of the condition. Cancer is the umbrella term for 200+ diseases, with basically the only similar characteristic, which is uncontrolled spread of cells. Cancer rates are rising because people live longer, and because our screening/(early) detection methods are improving, and as a result, it gets discovered early, making survival chance better.

It's a tough illness, especially some rarer, aggressive types, but we as a HA sufferer community have to realize, that there are other, not so obvious dangers out there, which are way more common and spread, especially since a lot of people are living wrong. As anxietyjoe said - "Smoking, drinking, crap diet, sedentary lifestyles and STRESS etc etc." are the real killers.

Take a look at this official World Health Organisation analysis about the 10 most common cause of deaths, globally. Notice how the biggest killers by far are heart disease and stroke, direct results of wrong life style. Most common form of cancer, which is lung cancer, is only at number 7. (forms of cancer depend on age group though).

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/

bulan
01-05-14, 04:34
This is exactly what I needed to hear, and probably need to hear on a daily basis.

Thank you for this encouraging news!! :yesyes: