PDA

View Full Version : Zopiclone and Lorazepam (Ativan) - Taper off them?

jb569
30-04-14, 19:07
Hi,

Since I've been registered with a home treatment team two weeks ago, I've been prescribed 150mg of Sertraline, 2mg of Lorazepam (taken when required) and 7.5mg of Zopiclone to help me sleep. So far, I've noticed that the Lorazepam is not as effective as Valium (in my opinion, anyway), but the Zopiclone miraculously helps me drift off to sleep instantly, but I'm beginning to worry about the possibility of addiction and severe side effects.

Recently, my anxiety and derealization issues have become more severe. I constantly feel jittery and suffer from intrusive thoughts (Existential OCD) questioning myself and the world around me. I've noticed that this has surfaced since I ran out of Lorazepam so is this a sign of withdrawal symptoms? Bear in mind that I have only been on Lorazepam for under two weeks. Before this I took 15mg of Valium a day for one week.

Another concern is the Zopiclone. When my Lorazepam ran out, I substituted the Lorazepam tablets for 15mg of Zopiclone throughout the day (this has been only the last two days, before that I adhered to the one 7.5mg tablet before bed). The maximum dose is 7.5mg and I'm frightened that this will take a toll on my mental and physical health. I've read about the side effects and they're not pretty. I feel that I can't get to sleep without Zopiclone, so I'm starting to think that I'm starting to rely on this.

So, considering that I have only been on the medication for a short period of time, will the above present any bad side effects and should I gradually taper off them? Any advice will be appreciated! :)

SADnomore
30-04-14, 19:29
Hi, there! I can concur that the benzodiazapenes (Lorazepam included) are indeed potentially addictive. As for Zopiclone, it has not created addiction per se for me, as I do not feel the need to increase the dosage. Even when faced with the odd night when it doesn't seem to be working, which is very rare. But I can't sleep without it either, and the doctor doesn't like me on it long term, so we will be discussing other things to help. On the face of it, hunni I don't think it is a good sign that you went ahead and took twice the allowable dosage so soon after going on it. :ohmy: May not be the right sleep med for you. Also, you are right about some of its other effects: the leaflet itself warns that depression can result from taking zopiclone. Are you able to speak with your pdoc/team about substituting mirtazapine instead? A lot of people find it very helpful for sleep and against anxiety/depression too.
Marie :flowers: