PDA

View Full Version : SEVERE Breathing and heart concerns.

dcam
01-05-14, 04:09
Hello everyone.
I've been suffering crippling anxiety for a very long time now. Over the past month it's gotten beyond unbearable. I constantly feel like my heart is failing. I can't gt up from a seated position or do any physical activity without feeling a severe head rush and like i'm gonna pass out and my heart is going to stop. And about 4 days ago i hyperventilated which isn't anything new but the feeling of not being able to breath properly hasn't gone away at all. I can't stop focusing on my breathing and it makes me feel like i'm not getting enough air. And i can't lay on my sides cause it makes it worse so sleeping has been very difficult. Also tonight i notice i'm having pains in my lower rips when i breath deeply. I've tried countless breathing exercises , meditation etc... nothing has helped. I am very concerned. I had test done 2 weeks ago, blood work, xray, ECG all normal. But i'm still constantly worried . I'm 24 years old, male, i smoke , i don't drink , and exercise is limited because of an injury i suffered a while back. I also don't take any Benzos for my anxiety because i am on painkillers and i don't want to play russian roulette with that combination of dangerous medicine.

Any kind of advice would be extremely appriciated!!!!

Thank you!!:D

Annie0904
01-05-14, 04:17
If all your test results were normal then it looks like all your symptoms are anxiety. If you look at the left side of this page you will find a link to the symptoms of anxiety.

ankietyjoe
01-05-14, 10:35
First step would be to give up smoking, that's a no brainer imo.

I'd also persevere with meditation and learn acceptance. Next time you have a bad panic attack just lay down, breathe deeply and let it happen.

You've been given the medical all clear, so there's nothing wrong with you to logically cause the worry - you're simply dealing with anxiety.

The meditation and acceptance method takes a while to work, so just keep doing it. Eventually it'll make a huge difference to your life.

NotCool
01-05-14, 12:57
If the injury is the kind that doesn't leave any consequences, start exercising as soon as it heals. As ankietyjoe said, quitting smoking is a no brainer. Accept the fact, that the doctors know what they're doing, and that the diagnostic nowadays are so advanced, that it is extremely unlikely that they missed something, especially considering you're 24. If you can't fully exercise, do what you can - take a walk, ride a bicycle, anything to get the heart pounding. You'll most likely feel a bit of anxiety when that happens, but if you stick through it, you will start regaining confidence in your body, your heart, and see that it is a muscle that needs to be worked.

Oh, and your symptoms sound like nothing else than you being the hell out of shape. I can draw myself a pretty clear picture of what you're going through, considering I've been in your place not long ago (stress test, numerous ECGs, blood work because of palpitations and shortness of breath). Turned out I'm in shape of a 50 year old because of my sedentary lifestyle. I started exercising and going to bed early, and I feel better now.

Alice1
01-05-14, 16:52
If the injury is the kind that doesn't leave any consequences, start exercising as soon as it heals. As ankietyjoe said, quitting smoking is a no brainer. Accept the fact, that the doctors know what they're doing, and that the diagnostic nowadays are so advanced, that it is extremely unlikely that they missed something, especially considering you're 24. If you can't fully exercise, do what you can - take a walk, ride a bicycle, anything to get the heart pounding. You'll most likely feel a bit of anxiety when that happens, but if you stick through it, you will start regaining confidence in your body, your heart, and see that it is a muscle that needs to be worked.

Oh, and your symptoms sound like nothing else than you being the hell out of shape. I can draw myself a pretty clear picture of what you're going through, considering I've been in your place not long ago (stress test, numerous ECGs, blood work because of palpitations and shortness of breath). Turned out I'm in shape of a 50 year old because of my sedentary lifestyle. I started exercising and going to bed early, and I feel better now.

I have nothing to add apart form I often have this too. But can I just say that your signiture makes me instatntly feel 100 times better every time I read it, and it often really helps me when I start getting panicky. Thnak you so much!

marlowe78
01-05-14, 17:35
Sorry that you feel this way. I am adding to what other posters said about meditation. Even if you feel that it isn't working, please persevere with it. I started using it recently and if you can focus enough, it can be a cleansing experience, even if only for a short while. It helps you to control your breathing and sort out good and bad thoughts. I do it everyday, for about 15-25 minutes, hopefully longer soon. My mind does go in and out but I find my entire body relaxed after doing it.