PDA

View Full Version : Question about Ativan

idawmn
01-05-14, 16:18
I have posted elsewhere about having a suffocation feeling going on 24/7 for almost 14 weeks now. Sometimes this comes up with abdomen and chest tightening.

My doctor had prescribed me both Ativan and Xanax to use "as needed". I'm finding that the only way I can get some sleep at night now is to take an Ativan. Other nights in the past was iffy. In the past I was afraid to use either the Ativan or Xanax on a daily basis for fear of becoming addicted to it.

I have a first ever therapist's appointment early Tuesday morning. Would it be safe for me to take the Ativan every night from now until I see that therapist? Last night was a horrendous night for sleeping as I kept feeling that my suffocating feeling had gotten worse and my chest was really tightening up.

Thanks.

xBettyBoopx
02-05-14, 02:08
Hi Idawmn

Sorry to hear you have this suffocating feeling too, I can assure you that you won't suffocate and that you will always get enough breath (says Dr Claire Weekes and says me who has suffered with this many decades).

As for the ativan, I am not a doctor but I would have thought that "as needed" means exactly that and it is safe to take them every night. I also take ativan/lorazepam at night and have been taking them for a very long time. So remember too that your body will get used to them as like every single other medication known to man!! If you're still not knowing what to do, phone your doc and ask him/her.

I hope you get on alright at your therapy session.

Good luck.

idawmn
02-05-14, 02:25
Thanks for your response.

I was at the Cardiologist's on Tuesday and oxygen level showing at 100%. It was all showing normal through various Pulmonologist testings. It's just a horrible feeling though and add to that the chest tightening and feeling of sore throat that goes on day and night with no relief.

Yes, I find my sleeping is getting worse and will use that Ativan every night until I see the therapist. The Xanax really doesn't do much for me.

Thank you again.

yenool
18-05-14, 19:32
I've been taking them most nights for quite a while now. I find 0.5mg to 1mg takes the edge of my anxiety/racing thoughts enough that I can get some sleep.

I haven't got tolerant to the effect (yet?) BUT when I tried to stop taking them I managed about 5 hours sleep over 2 nights.

So IMO it is safe but you could get 'rebound' insomnia when you try to stop them. This is not really the same as addiction as you are not craving more and more of the medication...... it is just the original symptoms return and possibly more severe.

idawmn
18-05-14, 19:43
Thank you. Since my original post I didnt end up taking the Ativan on a nightly basis. Some nights I will just keep waking up every couple of hours but fall back to sleep again when i don't take the Ativan. Still have the suffocation feeling constantly all day and night along with other symptoms 16 weeks later. Very tired throughout the day which I know is part of the nasty anxiety. I see a meds doctor on Friday to discuss meds. I just want to be back to my normal self again.

tuesdayschild44
18-05-14, 20:12
I took ativan for something like 50 days, I was switched to restoril, so for like 2 and a half months doing the exact same thing your doing waking up every three hours. Take the medicine you NEED to sleep. Last night listening to some music from you tube specifically for anxiety, insomnia, I fell asleep on my own! No meds needed, I did wake up but I feel it's progress and shows that I am not addicted. So if that helps you at all. Take care : )

Catherine S
18-05-14, 20:15
Hi there, it sounds like your feelings of suffocation could be down to adrenalin. The trouble with being aware of our breathing is that we then try to control it and that makes it worse. Ativan..a tranquilliser...will help to stop the adrenalin bombing around and that's why you can relax enough to sleep after taking it. When you're asleep your body is still breathing even without your help, so its probably that you're tuned into it too much. If you don't like the idea of addiction which is always a possibility if taken over time, try one of the natural remedies available such as Kalms etc, which can be taken without fear of addiction.

ISB x

idawmn
18-05-14, 20:23
I'm going to take your advice so thank you for that. On Friday I can discuss further with the doctor at the psychiatric wellness centre further course of action. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

It's just so weird because I don't hyperventilate. I have tried to ignore it but when it feels like a pillow is over your face, well you know what I mean. It's hard to ignore. This has been going on for so long now, I just can't seem to get it reversed no matter what I do. On the other hand you could be right also about the adrenalin. I'm heading out to the store now and will see if I can find something along the lines of what you have mentioned. Thanks.

Hi there, it sounds like your feelings of suffocation could be down to adrenalin. The trouble with being aware of our breathing is that we then try to control it and that makes it worse. Ativan..a tranquilliser...will help to stop the adrenalin bombing around and that's why you can relax enough to sleep after taking it. When you're asleep your body is still breathing even without your help, so its probably that you're tuned into it too much. If you don't like the idea of addiction which is always a possibility if taken over time, try one of the natural remedies available such as Kalms etc, which can be taken without fear of addiction.

ISB x

Stu82
27-05-14, 15:16
Drink camomile tea regular! It's great!

idawmn
27-05-14, 16:28
Update here.

I saw a psychiatrist this past Friday and am now on Prozac (20 mg) once a day. Good news about it? No side effects. I also was given a night time med for sleep and it's working out fairly good. The doctor says I have to be on the Prozac for at least 6 months. I'm very positive that after 6 months I will be able to get off of this and will be back to my normal self. I have to think positive.

I am no longer using Ativan or the Xanax I was given to me by my own doctor.

Thanks all for your advice.