PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant and had to stop paxil cold turkey

Kjvittetoe031
01-05-14, 18:09
I just found out I am 4-5 weeks pregnant and my doctor had me completely stop taking Paxil. I was takin 10mg/day for about 9-12 months now. I am now having extreme heart palpitations and what I would call "brain zaps." Has anyone experienced this. I know you're not supposed to stop just taking mediation like that but I have to so what's best for my peanut. However, all I do is cry because I feel like something is really wrong. They want to put me on Zoloft but my anxiety was well under control until I started experiencing the withdrawal symptoms. Any idea how I can make this go away or whether it is normal!?

xrachykinsx
01-05-14, 18:12
Hi, I agree, ideally it's best not to take medication whilst pregnant but even so, I am very shocked your GP has told you to just stop. I would say that having extreme anxiety can have just as much effect on the baby. I would be keen to book in with another GP to say how you're not doing very well, and if you could come off slower..if you really need to come off at all. Many expectant mums take antidepressants during their pregnancies as the mental health risk is far more serious than the tiny risk of the medication. I'm quite annoyed for you that your doctor just told you to stop, that's not particularly beneficial in itself as you are now feeling so rotten xx

Kjvittetoe031
01-05-14, 18:15
Thanks for the reply! I was shocked also. I have a 5 year old daughter and had an extremely tough pregnancy with her due to having to stop meds also. I'm in a much better place anxiety wise. Unfortunately, these symptoms have brought me back to square one. I can't take my lorazepam to feel better and I've been told to tough out the WD symptoms. I'm so stuck on what to do. I'm so tired of crying all of the time. ��

xrachykinsx
01-05-14, 18:19
Get yourself back to a doctor and preferably...a sympathetic and caring one if you can. Some doctors seem to have no understanding of mental health and so see no problem with telling patients to 'stop meds' I'm not a doctor but I personally think the doctor that told you to just stop is making your life harder than it should be, pregnancy should be stress free and happy. The risk of you feeling depression and anxious again can be just as harmful as medication. In fact Medication has to have a warning on it whilst pregnant..as there is always that tiny tiny chance, it covers companies backs but generally...there are many women that stay on meds throughout pregnancies..it just means your monitored more :) xx

Kjvittetoe031
01-05-14, 18:28
I agree. When I was pregnant with Abby, my OB was my GP. Shr new my story. I have had this GP for 3 years now and have same OB. I'm just scared. I can't take anti anxiety meds, yet I need them to keep my anxiety away, I cry all of the time and I'm scared my stress will cause an early miscarriage. But I cannot handle the feeling they my brain is shutting down and my heart is trying to beat out of my chest. So hard. ��

xrachykinsx
01-05-14, 18:33
Ask for help hun. Don't suffer on your own. If you are going to have to stay on medication in your pregnancy...so be it. Atleast you will be able to cope and actually be a mum to Abby. Really annoys me when doctors underestimate mental illnesses. If it was easy to cope and 'get over it', people wouldn't need medication in the first place xx