PDA

View Full Version : Very poor memory & awareness

Ollie28
01-05-14, 18:46
Good Evening everyone, i hope your all ok.

I just need some sort of comfort and advice really as I'm really worried now about these memory symptoms I'm still very badly having,.....
i have been struggling with anxiety & depression for over 2 months now - maybe a bit longer as i think back hard...it started off by me noticing my attention was starting to drift off every now and then. So i would feel perfect and aware and happy just like i always have all my life then out of no where my awareness would go, my short term memory would drift away, this went on for a few days altho i now have come to realise that weeks before in work my attention and awareness was becoming slack - ild put my tape measure or pencil or a tool down and forget where i had put it, sounds silly i know but thats not usually like me. The "not bothered" attitude started to come out of no where & again i didnt understand why or where it was coming from as it wasn't like me to think like that, im very keen on my job and on detail as im a gas fitter & fit expensive fireplaces on a daily basis so detail is key, at the time i took no notice of all the above as i just thought it was a change in attitude and it was nothing to worry about because all as this was going on i had and still was going through a very traumatic times plotting with my 14 year partner & moving away from my children (see my other post) anyways it all started proper when i had a panic attack, 2 in fact in the space of 15 minutes, then from that day on my very short term memory & awareness was totally lost. As the days went on waking and hoping i was better but wasnt i began to panic more as you do asking "whats up with me!!" This went on for a week every day i visited either a dr or a nurse in our walk in clinic telling them im "ill" i had all the oxygen, blood pressure ect and all was fine - I mean i thought i had everything in the medical book!! By the thursday night my worry and anxiety was so worked up i was convinced i was going insane! I told my partner to take my kids from me (as were now together) and for them to leave me, i told her im losing the plot over and over pacing the room and to book me in a hospital, it wasnt a pleasant site or experience. my brain/head felt wide wide awake and switched on like never before!! im guessing from all the thinking & worry and stress of whats up with me, i felt like i couldnt cope no more. My memory & awareness all that week pretty much non existent. My wife was getting me out the house & driving i would get to where we was going and not remember how i got there or anythin that happened between the destinations, i would walk around the shops or place we was at like a empty soul with no clue what i was doing or was happening, my head pretty much a sore clouded block of wood, i had no interest or could not even make decisions. All i knew was i was just there and that was it.
That night after another visit to the walk i come to the conclusion after all the emotional stress ild been through i had become depressed and exhausted and soon after accepting it its like for 15 minutes my brain switched on and i felt normal!! The next day i visited my gp and was given diazepam.

So since then i took the diazepam (2mg) 3 times a day - and for 3 weeks after felt 100% me! I started some anti depressants and within 4 days i was on my hands and knees telling my wife i was going insane again and was thinking terrible thoughts! Im guessing this was the side effects of anti depressants i possibly didnt even need to take,

My main concern is since that day my very short term memory & awareness is pretty much non existent, im aware of what im doing but within minutes of me doing it ive forgot ive done it, i find my attention is terrible! Its like i cant think outside the room im in. Ive been out today shopping with the mrs yet if asked i couldnt answer simple questions about the day, like ive forgot.

The last 2 months have felt like a day has past due to the fact im not aware of what ive done though the day unless i think hard. My awareness is usually amazingly good,
I have 2 young children and im terrified im stuck like this with the memory & awareness problem! I wont enjoy them growing up. I wont enjoy another day out with them because my natural awareness & memory wont let me remember!
I just want to feel that relaxed aware feeling again - like when you know youve been to work and aware of the day you have had, or returned from a day out with the children and tort aware of the good day you had, things that were said & done.
Please please tell me this will improve and its just a normal symptom??

My wife asked me a simple maths question before i couldnt even manage the brain power to work it out!
8-(
Thanks guys.

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:26 ----------

I must add - its a lot better than what it was but still i feel its only about 50% of what im use to. What scares me more is i have had episodes of snapping out of feeling like this and feeling 100% normal if only for 15 minutes then it goes, like my body is teasing me! This has happend twice in the last 2 month,

---------- Post added at 18:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

Classic one ive noticed - we went food shopping i pretty much filled the trolley with stuff i wanted as when im doing it i am aware im doing it, if you was to ask me now whats in my fridge that i put in the trolley i couldnt tell you - usualy like anyone else im aware of what i put in the trolley to enjoy on evening/day but i havnt a clue. Hope that makes sense.
8-)

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:39 ----------

Classic one ive noticed - we went food shopping i pretty much filled the trolley with stuff i wanted as when im doing it i am aware im doing it, if you was to ask me now whats in my fridge that i put in the trolley i couldnt tell you - usualy like anyone else im aware of what i put in the trolley to enjoy on evening/day but i havnt a clue. Hope that makes sense.
8-)