PDA

View Full Version : Coping with agoraphobia

Nel
06-12-06, 17:52
What do my fellow agoraphobics do all day? I have started exposure again after a nightmare 4 weeks on a med which almost finished me.
I still won't go out alone though, so most of my day is spent at home. I have started doing yoga, and am going to buy an exercise bike and I go on my sunbed every other day. I still get bored though, any tips?

Nel xxx

Sue K with 5
06-12-06, 18:00
Hi Nell

Wow you do a damn sight more than I do, although I do work. So I suppose that keeps me occupied but i dont actually find much ME time which is very difficult. Maybe you could do something constructive, look for a hobby which would help you earn some money. I have a friend who started building and making dolls houses, she now makes a fortune from selling this on ebay, and has just opened up her first shop.

Let me know what you decide to do

Sue
xxx

scknight

Nel
06-12-06, 18:26
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Nell

Wow you do a damn sight more than I do, although I do work. So I suppose that keeps me occupied but i dont actually find much ME time which is very difficult. Maybe you could do something constructive, look for a hobby which would help you earn some money. I have a friend who started building and making dolls houses, she now makes a fortune from selling this on ebay, and has just opened up her first shop.

Let me know what you decide to do

Sue
xxx

scknight

<div align="right">Originally posted by Sue K with 5 - 06 December 2006 : 17:00:54</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Cheers Sue,

E-bay is an idea. I am quite creative so making stuff would be fun! My hubby used to have a shop, and we still have loads of stock in the spare room (it's been there for almost 2 years now mind you) - keyboards, mice mats, mice, and box after box of ink (ink is all still in date). So I have been thinking about listing all that stuff, but it's boring. Dolls houses sound so much more fun.

I read loads too, I must be one of amazons best customers :D;)

Being agoraphobic is extremely difficult for someone who never stopped before! My mates are all going out (well 3 of them) on the first of a few pre-Xmas nights out tomorrow night, and I can't go! I'm so pist off about that.

Cheers for the tip hon,

Nel xxx

belle
06-12-06, 18:32
Hi Nel..
You sound like me! I bought the exercise bike, i bought every fitness DVD going, pilates, Yoga, you name it, i got it! Unfortunately i used the bike 6 - 10 times and DVD's maybe once each.
My agoraphobic days are spent pretty much the same.
Get out of bed..
Take my son to school..
Get back into bed..
Watch TV..
Play online games..
Collect son from school..
Do homework with son..
Bath son..
Do dinner..
Play more online games/watch TV..
Bed

FUN!!!
Joys of being agoraphobic!

Sarah

honeybee3939
06-12-06, 19:45
Hi Nel,

Sounds like you are doing the right things, exposure and exercise, i used to be housebound and didnt go out of the house for 2 years, but i did keep busy, i found by doing nothing i used to get bored and it made my anxiety alot worse, i even decorated the whole house,didnt do a very good job i must add.

Love

Andrea
xxxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

natty
15-12-06, 12:15
i browse the internet , snuggle with my dogs and do housework , its a thrilling life full of variety lol
i can totally relate to the bored thing, i am exhausted and in pain a lot of the time as well as having severe anxiety and its so hard for me to find things to do that dont make me feel worse.

marg
16-12-06, 01:59
i don't do much i don't go out i have been like this for months i use to go out with my husband at night for a walk but now i don't go out every day i say i am going to try harder and make more of a effort but i don't some days i get up and i can't be bothered to do any house work but i make my self do it my husband works and my teenage daughter is at school so i can be on my own for hours like tonight my husband and daughter have gone to a christmas party i was invited but i couldn't go so i have been on the computer or watching telly then having a bit of a cry i am going to have to try harder i only have a couple of friends who understand what is like the rest have lost interrest i love being on this site it has helped me a lot any one who is like me you can email me love marg

shoegal
22-12-06, 05:45
I would just like to add that there are a lot of 'non sufferers' who spend days on end at home doing nothing and they don't feel guilty about it. I am agoraphobic and I try to go out everyday even when I really don't want to. Sometimes I go to the shop and buy something I don't want just to put myself into a situation that is difficult for me so I will beat this thing. But recently I spoke to my friend who is perfectly healthy and she says she often spends a whole week at home when she doesn't see anybody and she loves it. I think we need to make the effort to fight our agoraphobia, but at the same time we shouldn't force ourselves to do things we wouldn't otherwise do. There is no point going to the cinema if the films are all rubbish, or going to the shops if you really don't need anything! [:I]
I spend my time at home running a business, looking after my dog, cooking, cleaning, writing letters, sewing and watching the occasional film. There is not much time left for anything else! [^]

Nel
23-12-06, 13:47
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I would just like to add that there are a lot of 'non sufferers' who spend days on end at home doing nothing and they don't feel guilty about it. I am agoraphobic and I try to go out everyday even when I really don't want to. Sometimes I go to the shop and buy something I don't want just to put myself into a situation that is difficult for me so I will beat this thing. But recently I spoke to my friend who is perfectly healthy and she says she often spends a whole week at home when she doesn't see anybody and she loves it. I think we need to make the effort to fight our agoraphobia, but at the same time we shouldn't force ourselves to do things we wouldn't otherwise do. There is no point going to the cinema if the films are all rubbish, or going to the shops if you really don't need anything! [:I]
I spend my time at home running a business, looking after my dog, cooking, cleaning, writing letters, sewing and watching the occasional film. There is not much time left for anything else! [^]

<div align="right">Originally posted by shoegal - 22 December 2006 : 04:45:59</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

No I don't do things I wouldn't normally, I want to overcome agoraphobia, not adapt to it - and that means doing and going where I want, which I don't do at the minute.
I used to be the same as your friend, if I had a week off work I loved being at home. This is different though, certainly when you are trying to overcome agoraphobia the more 'practice' outings you get the better.

Piglet
23-12-06, 15:33
If any of you are free/bored tonight at 9pm do come and join in the quiz in the chatroom - everyone is welcome and you don't have to be at all clever!!

I'm not clever and yet somehow I manage to win every week :D:D:D

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

SHERLOCK
24-12-06, 15:07
I have agraphobia, but the wosre part of going out for me is crossing the roads, I'm not so bad if hubby is with me, but on my own I'm a nervous wreck I feel so dizzy getting across, I wondered if anyone else felt the same way. Happy Christmas fellow sufferers.

NPS_Paul
24-12-06, 16:14
Christmas is an especially hard time for many agoraphobics. I developed a coping stratergy. You need to do a few 'everyday' things throughout the day - even christmas day. Washing up. Washing. Household chores. Read a book. Play a computer game. When the day seems to be getting out of hand/ you are losing control, go and wash up for 20 minutes. Put on some washing.
It's important to not go too far the other way though, and manically go from one job to another. Just a small chore can calm you down and give you justified breathing space from other people. Love Paul.

Love to all members

rmlamatt
28-12-06, 01:40
Hi Nel,

I also was agoraphobic for five years. Afraid to go outside even to walk to the mail box a few feet away. I could do it with someone, husband at the time. I had to wait until he came home from work to food shop, or any other stuff I needed outside the house. This was a number of years ago and since then I have come around for the good of me. Being you read a lot and you know how to work a computer, why don't you write a book on what you're going through. I did and called it "Fears Flutterby"
Think about it seriously.
Rose
www.rmlamatt.com

Don't walk in front of me I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend