PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else with panic disorder suffered from phantom smells?

OffTheWall
01-05-14, 20:34
I have suffered anxiety and panic attacks for over 5 years now, but only in the last few weeks, when my anxiety is worse than usual, I have been suffering from smelling things which aren't there.

Like today for example, I keep smelling burning now and again. Other times I have smelt the burning of hair, cooked food, crayons, and even poop.

Anyone else had this?

AlexandriaUK
01-05-14, 21:52
Not often I can relate to a post as in personally but this one I can totally, yes I smell smells no one else smells, don't Google as I am happy to live with it and I don't think its anxiety I just think its a daft body reaction in some way.
Smoke food sometimes flowers really weird

bingjam
01-05-14, 23:36
I dod a post about this too..

The way I could describe it was like a warm smell. .. not so much burning but how warm would smell like. ..

Do you suffer from headaches or anything else??

Fishmanpa
01-05-14, 23:43
I have suffered anxiety and panic attacks for over 5 years now, but only in the last few weeks, when my anxiety is worse than usual, I have been suffering from smelling things which aren't there.

Like today for example, I keep smelling burning now and again. Other times I have smelt the burning of hair, cooked food, crayons, and even poop.

Anyone else had this?

I had this during cancer treatment but my taste and smell was off due to chemo and radiation.... I'm rather gassy so unfortunately I don't imagine the poop smell ~lol~

Positive thoughts

cattia
01-05-14, 23:43
Yes, this happens to me sometimes when my anxiety is bad, especially when I wake up in the middle of the night. I also have a lot of sinus issues which can cause this too.

UKmamainUS
02-05-14, 00:30
I often smell chemical-like smells right before having an anxiety attack. I don't know if it is the smell (not knowing what it is and worrying it is something bad) that triggers the anxiety attack, or whether the smell is actually a part of the anxiety attack itself. But anyway, you are definitely not alone.

RoseEve
02-05-14, 00:34
I get this as well. I unfortunately smell human waste.