PDA

View Full Version : i hate needles. (trypanophobia)

hg7213
02-05-14, 05:05
so i've had a fear of needles for as long as i can remember. i'd always hated getting shots as a kid (what kid doesn't?) but i think the real fear stemmed from when i had gum surgery when i was 9 or 10 (i'm 23 now). even with the topical novocaine, i could still see and feel the needle pushing into my lower gums. ever since then, i haven't been able to get a shot or blood drawn or anything without hyperventilating or having a panic attack or hysterically crying.

i took valium when i had to get an iv when i got my wisdom teeth out, and it seemed to work then (until i saw the injection point a few days later, but i digress). i'm having a cavity filled tomorrow, and the dentist is using novocaine in my bottom gums, very similar to where my fear stemmed from, and she wrote me a prescription for valium. she told me to take one 5mg diazepam the night before, then one the hour before my appointment. i took the first one a couple hours ago, but now i'm trying to go to bed and i started thinking about it, and now i can't stop crying.

i guess what i'm wondering is, if i take the other one tomorrow, will it work with the one i took tonight, and keep me calm enough through the procedure? i'm just really worried because the first valium seemed not to do it's job, and i am so sick of being so afraid. i just want to get through the appointment without this fear.

Libra
02-05-14, 10:37
I also have a phobia of needles.
My GP was really understanding and suggested using a Paediatric fine needle. Its just an extra fine needle with a plastic butterfly covering the needle so you don't see it and being honest I felt nothing . Not sure where my fear stems from but it must go way back to childhood.