PDA

View Full Version : Help needed Natural Remedies or Activities??????

ariel88
02-05-14, 10:07
Hi,

25 year old Female

I need help, Im looking for an activity or natural remedy for my anxiety. I was being prescribed 2mg Diazepam from my Dr 28 tablets lasting me around 3 months and then all of a sudden she decides not to prescribe anymore. So over the last few months I have turned to wine to help with sleeping and general stress. But after having a week off the drinking I had a few glasses of wine last night and literally couldn't stop being sick until I had emptied my stomach.

I have panic attacks over even the thought of being sick so that is drinking out the window for me altogether. And I stupidly googled this and someone said it could be liver damage so now im losing my head over that as well..... :(

So basically I just really need something to relax me and help with my anxiety. The Dr recommends I take tablets everyday (Sertraline) but as I only get anxiety from time to time I see this as not a good thing. I suffer from migraines also but I dont have to take painkillers everyday so why should I with anxiety.

Thanks

A

ankietyjoe
02-05-14, 10:31
Hi

Meditation is something that most people find very beneficial once they try it.

Specifically Vipassana or mindful meditation.

It requires practice and patience, but it is extremely effective as a tool to cope in the short term, but also to reduce the recurrence of anxiety in the future.

Alcohol is likely to increase anxiety even if it doesn't make you sick so there's no point going down that road. A couple of glasses of wine, even every day will not cause liver damage.

nomorepanic
02-05-14, 11:22
A couple of glasses of wine, even every day will not cause liver damage.

Yes it can!

Rennie1989
02-05-14, 12:00
It has been proved that drinking a glass or two of wine every day can, in time, cause health problems like liver damage. They dub it as the 'middle class disease'.

I practise relaxation techniques where I breathe in deeply, expanding my stomach rather than your chest. You find a ratio that works for you, some say breathe in for 7 seconds, hold for 2, breathe out for 5, hold for 2, then start again. I often do this on the bus or at work where relaxing is most needed.

There are a lot of tips and suggestions in the Natural Remedy section of this forum. A lot of people swear by Rescue, Remedies (I don't), multivitamins, Omega-3 and loads more. Read what they've got to say and see what tickles your fancy.

I am all for looking after the body by ensuring you're sleeping enough, eating the right food, getting enough play-time thrown in with work and other responsibilities and relaxing.

ankietyjoe
02-05-14, 13:12
It has been proved that drinking a glass or two of wine every day can, in time, cause health problems like liver damage. They dub it as the 'middle class disease'.

There is also plenty of evidence to suggest it poses not health risk at all.

The difference is probably one person drinking a couple of old style servings (150ml or so) of 12% wine versus the 21st century way of drinking half a litre of 15% Tesco special. One being twice as much as the other.

HoneyLove
02-05-14, 14:07
I will second the suggestion of meditation, even just a simple 10 minutes a day can have a positive effect on both mental and physical health. There's a great book to explain how it works for stress & health, as well as to teach you certain simple meditation techniques: Soul-Centered by Sarah McClean.

I'd also recommend yoga. The gentle stretching is great to relax anxiously tight bodies and the focus on breath and movement is very relaxing for the mind. It's a great technique for stress relief.

Rennie1989
02-05-14, 14:45
In any case, I'd rather not risk it and stick to one or two glasses a week as apposed to a day. Not to mention that alcohol is a depressant anyway.

ankietyjoe
02-05-14, 15:19
In any case, I'd rather not risk it and stick to one or two glasses a week as apposed to a day. Not to mention that alcohol is a depressant anyway.

Totally agree, although I was just making the point to the OP that unless she's been misusing the booze, that liver damage is highly unlikely.

Rennie1989
02-05-14, 16:41
Don't worry, I understood :)

ariel88
12-06-14, 14:05
Thanks everyone sorry for such a delayed reply. I have given up the wine since this day and my anxiety is pretty bad right now but I know it takes a few months of not drinking to see any benefit. Definitely will try Yoga and meditation. :)