PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Paralysis ~

LunaLiuna
02-05-14, 14:17
Hello everyone!

So last night I had a meeting with sleep paralysis, a meeting which has happened quite a few times since gaining Anxiety & Depression.

With my fear of neurological diseases being the main base of my Health Anxiety my obvious fear would be that these symptoms were situated around a physical rather than mental problem. So in defiance I looked up the links betweem this harmeless symptom and anxiety and this is what I found!

For those who can't be bothered to read. It basically says there is a link between anxiety/depression/stress and sleep paralysis

A 2006 paper by Otto, Simon, Powers, Hinton, Zalta and Pollack examines rates of sleep paralysis in patients diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. Approximately 20% of the patients suffered from sleep paralysis. The use of medication was not found to significantly affect rates of sleep paralysis. Other research shows that patients with anxiety disorders show severe sleep disturbances, again suggesting a mediating role of sleep distrubance in the increased risk of sleep paralysis in patients with anxiety disorders.

A 2008 study by Solomonova, Nielsen, Stenstrom, Simard, Frantova and Donderi looks at the relationship between the amount of distress caused by a sleep paralysis attack and social anxiety. They found distress levels to be associated with dysfunctional social imagery, including extreme anxiety and fear of death in non-threatening situations as well as feelings of being observed. These factors are all associated with the feeling of a sensed presence in sleep paralysis so it is perhaps not surprising that distress in sleep paralysis was found to be most strongly associated with the sensed presence symptom set.

A 2005 study by Simard and Nielsen also looked into links between sleep paralysis, social anxiety and depression. They found higher levels of social anxiety in participants who suffered from sleep paralysis with sensed presence than those participants who did not sense a presence during sleep paralysis. They suggest someone who is socially anxious in waking life may be more likely to generate the threatening hallucination of an evil presence during dreams in REM sleep, and subsequently in sleep paralysis. They also suggest that the hallucinatory images may replicate or represent prior traumatic social events.

A 2007 paper by Szklo-Coxe, Young, Finn and Mignot investigates depression and its links with a number of sleep disturbances. It finds depression to be strongly associated with sleep paralysis, even after removing factors such as use of antidepressants, excessive daytime sleepiness and insomnia. It also finds that the relationship between sleep paralysis and depression is not explained by anxiety felt in depression, suggesting depression to be a risk factor for sleep paralysis, distinct from anxiety.

Here's a general sleep problem help page that I've seen posted around here that has helped me: http://www.psychology-solution.com/sleep-insomnia/anxiety-depression

nursegreenwhippet
02-05-14, 16:29
Wow great research - that is so interesting, I used to get sleep paralysis when I was younger - and stressed, especially when I slept in in the mornings. Chosen any fish for your tank yet?

Petesy
02-05-14, 16:56
Hi Lunaliuna

As nursegreenwhippet says wow on the research, I too suffered from this in my teens going into early 20s I wanted to find out more from my GP she referred to it as "night terrors" asking me to read an hour before bed or watch comedy's she also told me she suffered from them herself and this was her way of overcoming it,

terrifying experience I could only let out a low grown trying my best to cry for help and slight movement of the fingertips, I'd spring up just as I thought I was going to stop breathing.

I really hate sleep paralysis horrible!!

Take care.

Petesy.

LunaLiuna
02-05-14, 17:02
Nursegreenwhippet- Yes, I've decided on a Gourami and possibly a pufferfish, tetras too :D

Petesy- I can absolutely relate to that. I was trying my hardest to get out of it lastnight but could only manage a groan. I'd say the feeling that you get during it is probably the worst.

Petesy
02-05-14, 21:31
I would totally agree it's as if when you think that's it your just about to stop breathing and the breathing gets shorter I spring up as if I've been drowning absolutely frightening beyond belief.

I hope it subsides for you if it's still persisting :hugs:

Take care

Petesy.

NotCool
04-05-14, 23:45
I've had it quite frequently in the last months. Sometimes I think I shake during it, once I experienced an immense head pressure while I was paralized and kind of dreaming. I explored the internet for similar experiences, and it seems multiple people had the same problem. Ofcourse I can't shake the feeling that something is wrong with my brain, be it a tumor, some sort of epilepsy, or something else.

LunaLiuna
05-05-14, 00:36
Found this article on sleep related too depression so I thought I'd add it in: http://www.why-we-dream.com/depression.htm