PDA

View Full Version : Bad/metallic taste in mouth

nigela
02-05-14, 14:37
Can a strange taste in mouth be caused by stress. I went into a panic last week as mamogram showed some benign changes.Had this ever since. never had it before tho. so worried about this now. had ear pian and pulsatile tinitus for a year now too.
Nigela

LunaLiuna
02-05-14, 14:44
Yes it can.

Check the symptoms page on the left for tinnitus and ear pain. Here's the explanation for the mettalic taste from the same page.

Lack of appetite or taste, a tinny, metallic or ammonia smell or taste
What you feel:

Sometimes you just don't feel like eating, or the thought of food is unappealing. Or, that even though you are eating, the food has no taste or is unsatisfying.

You have a persistent 'tinny', 'metallic' or 'ammonia' smell in your nose, or you taste it often and it's not from your food or environment. Often it's just there, but you can't figure out why

What causes this:

Similar to the other stomach related symptoms, loss of appetite is a result of an upset stomach due to the sustained increase in digestive action. Loss of taste occurs because taste buds are nerves, and an over stimulated nervous system can send false signals to the brain which means that sometimes we can experience odd, dulled or incorrect sensory perceptions (since our receptive senses are controlled and interpreted by the nervous system). The loss of taste because of this miscommunication or misinterpretation by the over stimulated nervous does occur. This is another example of how we can receive incorrect or inaccurate sensory perceptions because of an over stimulated nervous system.

The only remedy for this symptom is rest so that the nervous system can regainits health..

swgrl09
02-05-14, 17:14
There are so many different things that can cause this. Like Luna said, ear problems because they are connected to the throat. Also sinus problems, any kind of damage in your mouth (from something as simple as biting your tongue), gingivitis, something you ate, etc.

unsure_about_this
02-05-14, 17:53
My mum gets a metallic taste in her mouth, I cannot remember what the dentist said it was cause by. Have you had a dental check up lately, do you have any fillings.

I do get a metallic taste sometimes but goes when I have a good dental cleaning with the shape of my mouth very difficult to try to keep clean

Amandala
02-05-14, 18:27
I get weird tastes in my mouth all the time, haven't figured it out yet, but I know its a common anxiety thing.