PDA

View Full Version : Job making me panicky

Tina37
02-05-14, 19:12
Hello everyone. I'm new here and wanted some advice about work-related anxiety. I have had depression on and off in the past but managed to keep it under control with a good diet, exercise and alternative therapies.
However, my job is becoming increasingly stressful and making me feel panicky and sick. The work itself is not the problem, it's the fact the technology is so old that I can't actually do my job. Between 4 of us in the office, we are lucky if 2 computers are working. My colleagues who sit at the desks where the computers are more reliable are fed up with me interrupting their work so I can try to do mine! :mad:
We are a small company with one director who is not interested in upgrading, his attitude seems to be "bodge it" like a dodgy builder. He doesn't pay his bills until the balliffs turn up, we constantly get calls about his debts and bouncing cheques.
I can afford not to work for a few months (have some savings). So really what I am asking is justification for leaving without having got another job (which I will do in due course having got back to normal emotionally).
Sorry if this has been a long post, just wanted to explain the situation I'm in.

Oosh
02-05-14, 19:56
If you're confident you can find another job in the next few months then go for it I say.
Don't stay in a job if it's making you unhappy.
But be sure you will be able to get a new job. There's a lot of competition for vacancies at the moment.
Maybe test the water first and if you're confident then tell Del Boy he can shove it haha.

Tina37
02-05-14, 20:19
Hi Oosh
Thanks for the reply. You're right, the boss is just like Del Boy, I think that's his new nickname :D
I have got a holiday booked for June so I might hang on until then, and apply for jobs in the meantime. You never know, our regulatory body for the industry might just step in and shut him down. Here's hoping :winks:

Rennie1989
02-05-14, 21:12
Haha, I worked in a small company where the owner was like Mr Crabs from SpongeBob SquarePants. He refused to invest a penny into his dying company and wanted to keep the money for his own luxuries. I'm surprised that it's still going!

I would, if I were you, stay in the job whilst you job hunt. Employers are more likely to take someone on who is still in work then somebody who is not. I'm not happy where I am so I sent one application off and got the job (hooray!) whereas when I was on the dole I sent about a hundred applications off for one interview. Giving the current economic climate you'd be financially better off doing it that way, unless you are guaranteed a new job straight away.

Good luck and happy job hunting, don't get too stressed :)

Oosh - I keep giggling to myself whenever I read your poem in your signature :D

Oosh
02-05-14, 21:30
Oosh - I keep giggling to myself whenever I read your poem in your signature :D

Haha great init. Still cracks me up :]

I'mdave27
02-05-14, 21:56
Fear not for the truth shall set you free. Anxiety is an escapism and avoidance feeling. . . You can run but you can't hide. There you go NMP that's my toned down version , good enough ?

Rennie1989
02-05-14, 21:58
Fear not for the truth shall set you free. Anxiety is an escapism and avoidance feeling. . . You can run but you can't hide. There you go NMP that's my toned down version , good enough ?

Yes, Dave ;)

Tina37
04-05-14, 16:25
Thanks Rennie and Dave.
I have managed to avoid watching Spongebob so far, probably because I don't have any of my own children and the younger members of my family are all under 5! Might have to watch it to amusingly draw comparisons (laughing is better than crying I guess).
My main problem isn't the job itself as I have been in this industry for many years and know my stuff pretty well. It's the feeling of complete lack of support and the sheer embarrassment of having to ask a colleague to stop his/her work so I can actually serve the customer who has approached me. Yes we have to do this directly in front of customers! That's what makes me panic, which spills over into anger sometimes. I have said some choice words to a colleague before in the heat of the moment, which resulted in me getting a verbal warning. I worry that one day I will do the same in front of the customers or worse, to the boss himself. How can I calm myself down without removing myself from the situation (my normal response is to panic and flee!)?

I'mdave27
04-05-14, 20:41
What industry is that may I ask ?

Tina37
04-05-14, 20:49
I don't want to say too much, in case I get into trouble for overtly bad mouthing the boss - can't say who I work for but it's within the travel industry.

Fishmanpa
04-05-14, 21:00
Employment Rule #1:

It's always easier to find a job when you already have one.

Positive thoughts

Tina37
04-05-14, 21:19
Thanks Fishmanpa. I guess handing in my notice without having any else arranged would be like letting big boss man win? If I get another job, then I have won! :yahoo:

Fishmanpa
04-05-14, 21:36
Thanks Fishmanpa. I guess handing in my notice without having any else arranged would be like letting big boss man win? If I get another job, then I have won! :yahoo:

Exactly! There's something quite satisfying about quitting a crappy job when you have your butt covered ;)

Positive thoughts