PDA

View Full Version : question about counselling

neonpink_smurf
06-12-06, 19:29
I'm finishing my counselling this friday and i'm a bit worried about it.. i really want to finish and i'm tired of talking but i'm also a bit worried that i won't be able to cope.
When this first started i had counselling for 6 months then 6 months off and i was fine but then anxiety came back (though not as severe so i went back) and even though i want to finish and in a way i feel ready, i'm a bit nervous.
But i'm just so tired of talking about everything, i've gone over my feelings o much and now i feel its just down to me.
The main i reason i went there was to have counselling over the anxiety and the death of my brother which i thought i was dealing with but has started to upset me quite a bit recently but at the same time theres only so much talking i can do.
I don't really know why i'm writing or exactly what my question is but i think i just want to know if anyone was apprehensive about leaving counselling but everything was actually fine???

neonpink_smurf
06-12-06, 19:31
also am i a failure for getting upset my brother again or do you think i'll be upset about it sometimes?? no matter how many years its been? because i'd been doing great during the summer and i've been doing ok recently but sometimes i get really upset about it. Its been four years should i not be over it?

candie
06-12-06, 23:16
Hiya,

You will naturally feel nervous about finishing your couselling on Friday because i think we see it as a bit of a crutch and then when that stops we feel we wont be able to cope without it.

You will cope fine and i think you can talk about things TOO much sometimes.Ive been to counselling several times and i was like you in the end,i felt like i'd talked too much,it drained me emotionally.

When my counselling finished i found that it was a relief in some ways and maybe youll feel the same but you WILL cope.

As for being upset about your brother,its only natural and in no way does that make you a failure at all.Four years or forty years you are forced to still think about it.

Hope you feel better soon,take care,Candie xxx

PanickyPolly
07-12-06, 13:51
Hey there

have you thought about mauybe finishing counselling then trying a ddifferent therapy...maybe something like yoga or some alternative therapy? It wil help ease things maybe without you having to talk abiut stuff all the time.

samc100
07-12-06, 16:06
Hello

I am the same as you. Bore myself rigid sometimes at a session but know I 'need' it. I am trying to build up on the exercise yoga etc and treating myself to massage every other month to destress.

Ask about this with the councellor cos' I am allowed 'one off' chats after my time ends. I think they use it as a reassurance and it isn't much used.

mooks
07-12-06, 17:04
hi
i am so like you...my dad died last year...i had counselling grew exhausted about alking it...he committed suicide..no note etc..so tough...
anyway i went back agian as it triggers my anxiety big time....this time im finding counselling tiring...but alot of it is due to the fact no one can give me any answers.....
as for thinking about your brother....its so natural...dont try and stop as it makes things worse....
im going to extend my therapy as i have found someone good and i need to talk about it as there isnt really anyone else...
xxxx

neonpink_smurf
11-12-06, 00:56
thanks very much for all your comments, they've been really helpful.