PDA

View Full Version : choking/tight chest feeling, so scared. :(

Pandaa
03-05-14, 11:05
hey there.

(my english isn't perfect because i'm danish, i hope it's understandable anyway)

I've been suffering from this lump in my throat/choking sensation with a tight upper chest and the feeling of not getting enough air. It's like i cannot take a deep breath. I also cough a lot, and it feels like there is some kind of phlegm stuck in my lungs...

I have been to the doctors 3 times in this week, and none of them was worried, they said that it most likely could be caused by my hayfever (which I already take antihistamines for, but i still have some symptoms now and then. to me, it really don't makes sense, because i could not find any info about it online...) or it could be because of my anxiety, which i also doubts... The anxiety makes it a lot worse though. The doctor took my peak flow, and it was only around 280-300, which made me freak out...

I'm so scared and keep checking my breath all the time, and i really don't know what to do... I'm really sad and worried. :weep:

Advice and kind words are needed...

SADnomore
04-05-14, 04:40
Hi, Christina! Some certain exposures to my allergens can cause the phlegmy feeling, minor wheezing and cough for me, even if I am taking an antihistamine. I have cats in the house, but they are short-haired and for some reason don't bother me too much. But I kitty-sat for a friend for 10 days and even with the usual 12 hour antihistamine, after about a week my breathing and chest were acting up badly. He is a long-haired cat, imagine that, it was that difference that pushed me over the edge! I started taking a stronger antihistamine called Benadryl (it is the drowsy kind) at night, and it still took a number of days to go away. It is the exact time of year here in Canada too for more allergen activity; maybe you can add on a short-acting strong antihistamine and give it a week to see if that's it?
Marie xx

Pandaa
04-05-14, 07:33
Hi Marie.

Thanks for your reply. I already do take Benadryl 3 times a day... And it don't seem to help on the choking/breathing issue...
I have a lung examination on wednesday, and all I can think about is how to survive the next 4 days... I'm so obsessed with my breathing, and panics when it feels like i can't take a deep breath. And it even makes my chest tighter... It feels like i have to force myself to breathe... But as my boyfriend says, as long as i can stand on my feet, i get enough oxygen.