PDA

View Full Version : Finally asking for meds

UKmamainUS
05-05-14, 16:27
I've endured anxiety for 6 years now, And severe anxiety for 3 and a half years. Selling my house last year alleviated some of my anxiety but I am about to buy another and have noticed my anxiety, and specifically my health anxiety, go through the roof. I'm scared of meds since I'm alone with my young children for weeks at a time, but I need to be more present for them so I've asked DH to avoid traveling while I get used to any meds I'm prescribed and I'm off to see my family doctor this afternoon.

chelsea5
05-05-14, 17:28
Hi, I'm also prescribed meds for my anxiety however like you and many others I'm so scared of them, even thought deep down I know they'll help I'm just too scared to take it, I'd really recommend CBT, although that isn't easy either as it's all about facing your fears.. it really does work! Speak to you gp about it :)

UKmamainUS
05-05-14, 17:35
I already tried CBT. That was definitely my choice over meds. Unfortunately it really didn't help much, although I'm also going to try that again. Thank you for the suggestion.

chelsea5
05-05-14, 17:45
My first course I'd CBT was a waste of time, but in onto my 2nd lot now and already feeling the benefits, it all depends how ready and motivated you are too, and finding the right therapist, maybe give it another go also, I'm not religious however I had something done called spiritual healing, it just involves a "healer" placing their healing hands in your shoulders etc and sending in positive energies, sounds crazy I know but it's definitely worth a go! I swear by it, and also healing can be done from a distance, doesn't even have to be in person, good luck, if you want to chat I'm just a message away :)

UKmamainUS
05-05-14, 18:42
Thanks Chelsea, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'm actually working through a CBT based health anxiety thing I found online. I have only done a few modules so far but it seems to be helping more than the CBT with the therapist. I don't think I meshed well with the therapist - on one occasion we were talking about some of my non health anxieties and she said "let's take, for example, the fear of the world coming to an end - you know that's ridiculous and not going to happen, so y can see how it I stills a reaction of fight or flight that is unnecessary". My response was "it is not ridiculous, the world will come to an end, we just don't know when". She looked exasperated and at the moment I knew we were not made for each other. LOL. The problem I have is that I used to work in a field similar to mental health care and so almost all available therapist / clinical psychologists / psychiatrists in my area are actually all ex co workers of mine.