PDA

View Full Version : rheumatoid arthritis pain

j2
06-05-14, 02:48
Does RA pain come and go multiple times in a day? Does it directly impact the joint or is it near the joint/below the joint? More info about my situation below.

I am a 43 yr old male and long time sufferer of HA. For a couple of years I have been have worsening widespread pain around my joints. It doesn't really hurt in the joints as much as around the joints. The pain in my feet is the most scarey and painful. My day usually starts off without much pain but it gets worse as the day goes one. Sometimes, I feel fine all day then out of nowhere my foot will have a very strong pain that lasts a few minutes and then settles to a dull ache. I cannot go barefoot on any hard surface or I will be in great pain in both feet. I have have issue with pain around my hips,hands and elbows too. I also have some aches and pains in my muscles but nothing compared to around my joints. I guess I would have thought the pain would be more constant but I am really freaking out right now and would love some info.

Thanks,
J2

AlexandriaUK
06-05-14, 08:44
I have RA and my symptoms are not like you describe,my pain is so much worse in the mornings and suffer stiffness for an hour or so after getting up,,i have red swollen joints when in a flare.
Blood tests where done and I have the rh factor in blood as well,xrays show abnormalities as in naff bones, what has your Dr said it could be.

j2
06-05-14, 13:31
Alexandria,

Thank you soooooo very much for responding. I have a dr. appt but it isn't for 5 weeks. Does it hurt to move your joints or is the pain "over" or "near" your joints? My pain, I think is more over my joints and between my joints in my feet and hands. Again, that you so much for your help.

swgrl09
06-05-14, 14:09
I have a few family members with RA, and like Alexandria posted, they have said their symptoms are worse in the morning when waking up. The foot pain you talk about might be something as simple as having poor support for your feet when walking barefoot. My husband used to get bad leg cramping and foot cramping, and changing his sneakers solved the entire problem. It sounds more muscular to me than arthritis, but I am no doctor. I don't think you need to worry and if the doc thought you did, you'd be in faster than 5 weeks.

j2
06-05-14, 18:34
I kind of think that it is muscular too. If it was just my feet I would be less afraid but I am having similar but much less painful issues in my hands and elbows.

Does anyone know if RA pain is felt when actually bending the joint or is pain over the joing?

Thanks for everyone trying to help.

J2

AlexandriaUK
06-05-14, 19:43
My pain in a flare feels very painful in the joint and joints go red and inflamed and very stiff,yours sounds more muscular to me, has your Dr suggested what he thinks,fibromyalgia.

j2
07-05-14, 04:15
I have not been able to see a doctor yet. I will be the end of this month before he could see me. I am trying to get it moved up but no luck yet. Does it hurt to wiggle your toes or fingers or bend your elbows? It really does not hurt to do that but walking causes a lot of pain and frequently just sitting still hurts.

Thanks again for listening.

j2
07-05-14, 13:19
I have been up all night worrying about the possibility of having RA. My feet hurt so much and I am in full blown panic mode. I can't think of anything else. I made the mistake of going to a RA support board and found lots of stories just like mine and now I am even more sure I have RA and that I am going to spend the rest of my life in pain and isolation. I have 5 kids and a very demanding if not physical difficult life and job. I fear that my wife will have no more use for me and that I will die alone and in pain. I am so miserable right now.

J2

AlexandriaUK
07-05-14, 16:00
I have had RA for maybe 10 years now and struggle to understand why you are in panic mode for someting you are not showing classic symptoms of, and worse case scenario that even if you did have It, which I don't think you have, Its not that bad you are not in pain constantly only mainly during flares.
Do you exercise at all, are you overweight

j2
07-05-14, 16:19
Alexandria,

I appreciate the tough love, I need it. I wish I could evaluate my symptoms with a clear head but that just isn't happening now. I do really appreciate your posts.

Thanks

AlexandriaUK
07-05-14, 17:06
Sorry sometimes tough love helps, ok how long have you had swollen joints and red hot joints that's what rheumatologist will look for,my joints are twice the size they used to be, also when was your last blood tests done.