PDA

View Full Version : Really bad interview!!

sophiethestar
06-05-14, 21:28
I have almost finished training to be a primary school teacher so my university held mock interviews today which I was part of. I was selected to be interviewed with other students watching. The idea is to help us gain an understanding of what a teaching interview will be like, the types of questions that will be asked etc.

I had rehersed some answers and felt somewhat prepared before I went in, but the moment I sat down I could feel the other students' eyes on my back. I felt like they were judging me (which they probably weren't). I just felt to be rambling on. What I was saying didn't make sense. I couldn't get my points across. My mind was completely blank. All I could think about was the other students watching and listening to my mock interview. It was awful. I haven't stopped thinking about it all day and I can't sleep because of it. I don't want to go into university tomorrow because I feel like the students who watched will now think I'm rubbish at interviews and that I'll never get a job. I feel embarrassed because it was just so awkward.

Has anyone got any tips on how I can just get the bad experience out of my head? I know I can learn from it and I'll be fine in a real interview due to the feedback that was given, but right now it's all I can think about. :(

aprilmoon
06-05-14, 22:11
Hiya hun!
The other students were probably just thinking that they were glad it wasn't them who were chosen!
Well done for getting through it at all,it can't have been easy.
Chances are that tomorrow people will congratulate you for doing it at all,and say that they couldn't have.
I know its hard when you just want to forget it,but tell yourself that this time tomorrow you won't feel like this about it,because I'm sure you won't when you get a chance to talk to some of the others.
You'll probably even have a laugh about it!
Sending you a hug,cos everyone can relate to a time when they felt like this,honestly.
:hugs:

sophiethestar
06-05-14, 22:15
Thank you. :) This made me feel a lot better. :)

SADnomore
06-05-14, 22:24
Omigosh, Sophie, YES, it has happened to the best of us, and the important thing to remember is that indeed it won't be like that in real interviews ... Oh, how I wish I was just starting out like you, and getting set for my first class of pupils in fall! You'll have all summer to celebrate and find a wardrobe, etc., etc. Fun! :yahoo: Congratulations, missie!
Marie

aprilmoon
06-05-14, 22:32
Glad it helped hun,
If it helps,try and think of some of the laugh value you'll get out of it tomorrow,cos you will.And people will think so much of you,that you can laugh about it.
Let's know how you get on xx:hugs:

sophiethestar
08-05-14, 17:38
Hey. Just thought I'd update you all. I've been in uni for the past couple of days and no one has mentioned by bad interview yet, so that's good. Still can't stop thinking about it, but definitely feeling a lot happier. Thank you for all your help. You guys made me feel much better. :) x

wabbit1
08-05-14, 17:59
Hiya, can I just focus on the last part of your post. You got good feedback at the end. I also agree that the other students were relieved it wasn't them. I'm sure you were absolutely fine.

I'm about to start applying for teaching jobs too as I am looking to move schools. I hate interviews, I too feel like I'm just rambling.

Good luck with your applications.

marlowe78
08-05-14, 21:32
Interviewing takes practice, like most other skills. It will get easier with time. Many of the same questions are asked at every interview so you can anticipate a lot of what you'll have to talk about. Treat it as a conversation between you and the potential employer rather than being questioned like teacher to student.

There will be a few odd questions, some of them (from my experience) dumb or ridiculous, but surprise questions are sometimes a judge of your reaction rather than the answer itself.

Glad you got through it. :yesyes:

Edie
09-05-14, 18:48
I'm glad you're feeling a bit more positive about this now. What a challenge you faced in front of other students - and you got through it and learned from it - that was the purpose of it!

I have something similar coming up at uni. I am going to be interviewed by a panel consisting of my tutor and 2 students from my class. An important skill to learn, but I can definitely relate to your feelings about it!

sophiethestar
12-05-14, 11:09
Thank you for your support. :)

Good luck Edie! :)

marlowe78
22-05-14, 01:58
I have to actually interview someone at my job tomorrow and I'm a tad nervous LOL. First time I have to pose the questions. At least I feel like I've moved on in the world!

Yossino
22-05-14, 08:01
Just remember they're probably as nervous or more nervous since they're the one being interviewed.

livinginacave
22-05-14, 08:11
Mock interviews can make you more than a bit nervous but it is the same with a lot of things, the more you do it, the easier it becomes.

RoseEve
22-05-14, 10:47
I'm a teacher and I had a very bad interview once. I was so nervous because the person that went in before had a great interview. I didn't make sense either. The interviewer actually told me I should sub for a while. Then I went on to have a great interview and I got the job that I still have 5 years later. You will get used to interviewing the more you do it. It will get easier.