PDA

View Full Version : very disturbing feelings in throat - panic is starting again

scarykeri
07-05-14, 04:15
First let me say, it's good to know I'm not alone in my anxiety. I have had a lot of legitimately strange (documented) health problems and it feels like another one is always just around the corner...something that might actually kill me, once and for all. My throat story began about 3 weeks ago with a feeling of pain/obstruction in my throat that came on rather suddenly. I thought I might be getting a cold so I ignored it. But it didn't go away. It feels similar to when you get a pill stuck in your throat and it won't go down. It's worse when I've been talking and worse in the evening...in the morning it's less noticeable. When I extend my neck (looking up to put in eye drops, for example) it really hurts, like something is poking me in my throat, right below my thyroid cartilage. Eating food doesn't bother it, it actually feels MORE normal when I eat, but then the feeling comes back when I'm finished.

So, here's the deal: my GP is well aware of my history of HA and I'm sure he dreads seeing me come into his office. I'm sure he is tired of dealing with my mysterious maladies and my worries that I've got something serious, this time. But how can I ignore my very real symptoms?? I had two radiation treatments in my early 20's to kill an overactive thyroid gland...I worry that my exposure to so much radiation concentrated in the neck area is going to give me cancer of the esophagus or thyroid (what little thyroid I have left after radiation). So, I'm going to suck it up and see my GP next week, for a "physical" and talk to him about the throat problem and other small issues I have at the moment. But last night I woke up at 3:00 a.m., sweating through my clothes, worried I have cancer and my kids will grow up without me. There is no happy ending to cancer of the esophagus. Some forms of thyroid cancer are very deadly as well. If anyone had some kind words to get me through the week, I would surely appreciate it.

-Keri