PDA

View Full Version : Stop poking and prodding!

swgrl09
08-05-14, 12:40
Today I need to really reign in my poking and prodding. Because the bump that is bothering me is in my mouth, it's all too easy for me to be constantly feeling it with my tongue ... seeing if it's bigger, etc. As I've been doing this, I am convincing myself it is bigger even though it isn't. I'm also making it raw.

All logic, from my previous post and from other posters, tells me it is fine so I need to stop touching it.

So it's a new day here, and although I am already touching it constantly, I am going to stop and see how I do today.

Does anybody have advice on how to stop poking/prodding? How did you get over that?

Annie0904
08-05-14, 12:43
I was at the dentist last week because I could feel a little gap with my tongue and thought a filling had come out. The reality was that the tooth had just moved slightly. My Dentist said I must have really high sensitivity to have noticed it. The thing is with anxiety sufferers we doing have heightened sensitivity so things that most other people would not notice at all, it seems like a huge thing to us :)

Darren1
08-05-14, 12:45
I was at the dentist last week because I could feel a little gap with my tongue and thought a filling had come out. The reality was that the tooth had just moved slightly. My Dentist said I must have really high sensitivity to have noticed it. The thing is with anxiety sufferers we doing have heightened sensitivity so things that most other people would not notice at all, it seems like a huge thing to us :)

my mother always tells me I am very in tune with my body unlike most people. she said most people wouldn't take any notice of the symptoms i get.

swgrl09
08-05-14, 13:16
We really are overly sensitive. You're right. So far I am failing miserably at not prodding my bump. Maybe I should suck it up and go to the dentist but I have awful dentist phobia ... been 3 years :-/

Annie0904
08-05-14, 13:18
If it is 3 years since you have been to the dentist yes you should go! If I can do it so can you :) I have a terrible phobia of the dentist but my dentist is lovely and calming.

swgrl09
08-05-14, 13:22
I didn't have dental insurance for two of those years, but since getting on my husband's I can't bring myself to do it ... I will call after this meeting I have starting soon...

Annie0904
08-05-14, 13:49
I will check up on you later to make sure you have :)

swgrl09
08-05-14, 14:42
I have an appointment Tuesday morning ... ughhhh.

Annie0904
08-05-14, 14:58
Well done!!! You will be fine (says I who gets in a state every time I go :D ) A lot of dentists are trained in anxiety control now. When you go in let your dentist know you are very anxious.

swgrl09
08-05-14, 15:38
I will ... it's usually pretty obvious too lol ... I hate that I know I will be getting xrays and I also hate when they poke around with the stupid metal thing! It gives me chills and anxiety thinking about it. I know I won't feel better about this stupid bump until I go though, so it's better I do. UGH

---------- Post added at 10:38 ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 ----------

Well, I have officially poked this bump more than any other day even though I set out not to. There is nothing I can do about it right now, I have an appointment Tuesday, I have to let it go. It's supposed to be a good weekend ... my anniversary! I want to enjoy it and let it go.

Annie0904
08-05-14, 15:50
Forget about Mr Bump and enjoy your weekend...that is an order!!

swgrl09
08-05-14, 17:40
Thank you! :)

swgrl09
10-05-14, 04:34
Had a very busy day ... had an all day training on play therapy with childhood trauma, then off to a graduation party after ... I was hoping I'd be too busy to poke and prod, but of course not. I keep reminding myself I have a doctor's appointment and that's all I can do right now. Tomorrows my first wedding anniversary and I want to enjoy it. I am determined to! If I poke, I will try to just let it go and not beat myself up over it.

swgrl09
10-05-14, 23:59
So far actually having a great day. We are about to head out to dinner tonight :) I have managed to go to a vineyard and have a great time with my husband without poking around too much.

swgrl09
13-05-14, 16:03
I went to the dentist this morning and the bump is just bone, like everybody told me here.

The appointment was ok. The hygenist was very nice and thought I didn't have any cavities and my teeth looked good. The dentist wasn't my usual dentist though and he was really cold. He said he could see two cavities and so I have to get fillings now. Then he just got up and left. He spent less than a minute with me. I had a different dentist last time I went there who was a lot nicer ...

So now I have an appointment for fillings in two weeks. However I am starting a new job in a week and I don't know if I will be allowed to go in late because of it. So I am stressing about that too. Ugh.