PDA

View Full Version : citalopram and bad sleeping

happyone
07-12-06, 21:28
Hi,
I was reading through some other posts and it seems to me that some people maybe get problems sleeping whilst on Citalopram?
Has anyone found this to be the case? I don't have my leaflet as I have to throw them out whenever I get them or I don't take the meds!
I wasn't doing so well and was increased to 30mg citalopram, got better for a bit, but then got worse again. I think lack of sleep is at the core of a lot of my latest problems as I am like a zombie I am so tired some days. I sleep but in small short doses, panicking regularly through the night. I usually get up really early and watch tv.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Happyone

honeybee3939
07-12-06, 22:01
HI Happyone,

I take Citalopram also and havent had any problems with sleeping, but i understand that medication can have different side effects with people.

Heres a few links that may help:

Sleep help
Sleep zzzzz (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5413)
insomnia, insomnia, insomnia etc.... (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6002)
Sleep problems (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6260)
HELP! Problems with sleeping. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7144)

Love

Andrea
xxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

Dreamer029
08-12-06, 14:34
i started on citalopram and felt awful, was switched immediately to lexapro, they gave me ativan for the adjustment as i've never been on any meds before, both the lexapro and ativan seem to make me sleepy. i consider that a good side effect haha. good luck

Lauren

sherri32
08-12-06, 16:29
I have been on20mg of citlopram for4 weeks, my doc put it up to40mg for 2weeks, monday, i have trouble sleeping as well, but feeling better. so it's worth it for me, rather be tired than down all the time,Sherri

Chopper
08-12-06, 16:47
Afternoon Sherri,

I've had 'bad days' during the Autumn/Winter, every year since 2001, and this year have been using a Lightbox to simulate natural light - I've got it on now in front of my screen - and even if it is a placebo I've found that unlike a lot of people on Citalopram (I'm on 40mg a day) I'm sleeping well at night.

Since the clocks went back I've been using the box for longer each day (from 07:45 until, probably, around 12:30 today) and going to bed earlier each night. But even if my days are getting shorter at least I'm sleeping longer.

Happiness and light to you,
'Chopper'

I saw her once, one little while, and then no more:
’Twas Eden’s light on Earth a while, and then no more.
Amid the throng she passed along the meadow-floor:
Spring seemed to smile on Earth awhile, and then no more;
But whence she came, which way she went, what garb she wore
I noted not; I gazed a while, and then no more!

James Clarence Mangan 1803 - 1849

Basket Boy
09-12-06, 04:34
Hi there everyone - my first post here.

I have been taking Citalopram 20mg for 5 weeks now, and have found that my quality of sleep is much better (after 4 weeks of existing on 2 hours a night before starting the meds I was getting a bit frazzled!...).

Only thing is that I seem to be stuck with not being able to get to sleep until around 2 or 3am. Tend to fall asleep for short periods during the day too.

But miles better than no sleep at all.

barbie
15-12-06, 10:05
Hi there, I have just been put back on Citalopram (I took them for bereavment depression last year) and the first thing my doctor said was "Take the tablet in the morning as it can disturb your sleep".

Hope that helps.

"Smile Like You Mean It"

CookieMonsta
14-09-09, 21:32
Hi I was an insomniac for 20 odd years. From age 15 to about 35 I smoked a lot of weed to get to sleep which sort of sends you off but the quality of sleep is a bit rubbish. My now wife just couldn't understand why I was smoking myself stupid to get off to sleep becuase she just used to read herself to sleep. After 3 years after giving up the weed and being on and off zopiclone I tried her thing of reading and it sure as hell works. The only downside is it's not more or less instantly like sleepers or weed to some degree. On the positive side there is no feeling drowsy or a bit stoned in the morning. I sometimes have to read for no more than five minutes and other time it can take an hour to read my self to sleep. I figure that if it takes an hour then maybe I wasn't tired enough to drop off. Sometimes you think you're never going to drop off and feel just too awake and wired to possibly fall asleep and then you just fade away and drop the book. My tip is don't try and force yourself to sleep, just try and relax and enjoy the reading and don't worry if it doesn;t happen straight away. It will soon enough I'm sure. Also don't read anything too exiting like a thrilling novel that you can;t wait to find out what happens next cos that in it's self will probably keep you awake. Just read something light and interesting.

I have been on Nortriptyline for 6 months initialy fo chronic back pain which it helped massively but suffered a complete loss of libido and got ED. However I noticed that the Nortriptyline made me miles happier and a chill bunny as a side effect. I have come off Nortriptyline and started taking Citalopram (just 10mg) and have got use of the old fella again in just 6 days few which is probably the Nortriptyline wearing off. Whether the complete loss of libido comes back after the effects of Citalopram kick in anyone's guess. I noticed that I slept brilliantly on Nortiptyline but when I stopped it and started Citalopram I had a couple of crummy nights sleep but now on the 6the day the reading still works fine but I do tend to wake at about 3 in the morning. If I just read for a bit again I drop off again. Sometimes this can take a good half an hour but is better than just lying there worrying about stuff that isn't worth worrying about if you know what I mean - horrendous circular thoughts and the like. Now although getting off to sleep is harder initially I can sleep for yonks and process of waking up in the morning is actually quite a struggle to pull myself out of unconsciousness. i've also notice that i'm so refreshed once i do properly wake up my Red Bull consumption has now dramatically reduced. My wife gets a bit peaved with me turning the bedside light on in the middle of the night so I wear a head torch bit like a miner! Not exactly bedroom chic i know but what the hell no one can see me not even my wife (she's asleep).

Anyway I hope that helps someone out there. As far as I'm concerned reading rocks. Best cure for insomnia bar none. i've tried the weed, sleepers, running 10 miles a day to try and get myself knackered enough to sleep but none works as well as reading.

PS I found Citalopram quite speedy a least for the first few days so like Barbie says definately take it in the morning.

good luck

scarecrow
15-09-09, 19:14
My friend's daughter had to come off Citalopram as she wasn't sleeping well being on them, also she completely went off sex, but it was mainly the sleeping problems why she was taken off them. She's on another antidepressant now.

When I was on Citalopram they helped me to sleep as before I was on them I was having sleeping problems. People have different side effects. I've come off them now as I didn't want to be in the situation where in time I could only sleep on them and you can't be on antidepressants all your life although maybe some people are.

Desprate Dan
17-09-09, 18:31
This is a massive problem for me, i simply just cant get much sleep at all and feel terrible, i had sleep problems before i started Citalopram and now they are even worse, i am lucky if i get 2-3hours per night (terrible nightmares too)..:weep: :weep: :weep:

It definately is having an effect on my qaulity of life, i am so down and damn tired all the time, i know that sleep plays a major part in our health both physical and mental i am just worried that this has gone on for so long i just wonder were it will all end and if it ever will.. As i cant face feeling like a zombie for the rest of my life, i certainly dont want to take meds to help me sleep as that is just masking the problem....:lac:

I am working night shift this week and i am waiting to go to work now and feel totally awful after doing a 10 hour night shift i have had 2 hours sleep and 3 hours the day before and 2hours the day before that i am now finding it hard to focus... I am so so tired.

Dan