PDA

View Full Version : HA and it's toxicity to our relationships - my experience

katesa
08-05-14, 21:16
Hello everyone,

I hesitated to post this but then I thought maybe it will help somebody who is where I once was - HA so bad that is was turning my husband away from me.

It's strange really - I have posted before about the effects my mothers HA had on me as a child. So I knew how badly it can affect those around me. And yet, for the first 7 months of my sons life, it was my obsession. My defining characteristic.

No longer was I "Katie the witty blonde" that my husband had fallen in love with. Instead, I was "Katie the cancer patient who hasn't been diagnosed yet".

That was hard for my husband. God knows, he tried to understand. He tried to ride it out.

But, when the person you marry is so convinced that they are dying, when it is all they ever talk about, when they ignore the efforts of their optimistic 6 month old to get them to play ball because they are too busy reading WebMD and trying to work out how exactly "shortness of breath" is defined.......well, it's got to be hard. Damn hard. Maybe to him it was like I had actually died for a while.

In he'd come from a long days work. "Can you listen to my chest? I can hear wheezing" I'd say.

Or the time I ruined our anniversary by throwing a tantrum because he said he didn't want to discuss my health fears for just a few hours.

I didn't consider that even if I had been correct, if I did have something terrible that the doctors missed, I was peeing my last days with my husband and baby up against the wall.

As I said, my husband tried to be patient. But then he started to distance himself from me. He started to avoid me. He didn't want to have sex with me - clearly, being the damn fine piece of a$$ I am (I jest, I jest) it wasn't down to my physical appearance but more down to my self obsession - never, unfortunately, an attractive trait.

After many arguments - well, it was me arguing. He would just walk away. But after many rounds of me arguing while he walked away, he told me that he felt bad for me but I was not helping myself by.

1) Smoking when my biggest fear was lung cancer
2) Googling constantly even though I knew it made it worse
3) Constantly thinking about/asking about it even though I knew it made it worse

He likened what I was doing to being overweight and complaining about it while ordering 16 big macs. Which I am also sometimes guilty of as a matter of fact, but not on a daily basis. So, from his perspective, I wasn't trying. I thought I was. But I wasn't - I was trying to minimise my own anxiety on a temporary basis repeatedly by increasing the pressure on him with my constant, constant seeking of reassurance.

So, I decided that for the sake of my marriage and my baby I had to try. I met a couple of good people on here - (Chris, by the way, I am working on a LOOOOONG e-mail for you mister. Brace yourself!) and we vowed to work through it together.

My first priority was minimizing the effect on my family. So, to start with, I restricted myself to letting my husband get in, have dinner and chat about our days for a while before I brought up any health concerns. This wasn't a lot, but it soon made a difference in our relationship - because he could see I was trying to put him before my own obsession and show interest in him.

Then I restricted myself to one hours googling a day as well as the above.

Already, as I wasn't indulging my fears as much, I found that they were on my thoughts less.

Then I made myself go a whole day without mentioning my health worries.

Then two.

Before I knew it, I had gone a week.

Don't get me wrong - I was still feeling the fear reasonably often but I was able to focus more on my husband and baby again. And seeing my effort, my husband had so much respect for me and grew loving (and randy as the energizer bunny) again in short order.

And the more I forced myself to not act upon my fears by reassurance seeking - from my husband or Dr Google - the less priority I seemed to give them.

Along with the support of my friends here, some psychotherapy the free online CBT and some lifestyle changes (I've been smoke free for months now) I have got to the point where I do infact have a diagnosis of one the HA sufferer fears, MS, and I'm not afraid of it. I never dreamed I could get in to a place like that.

This post isn't intended to give anyone a full route to recovery - that can look so daunting. My intent is, rather, to reach out to anyone who is finding their relationships are affected by this dragon and tell them that you don't have to just "snap out of it!" or get all better over night. But a little tweak here and there, a gradual change and occasional "fake it till you make it" attitude can be all it takes to start the ball rolling in changing how your loved ones relate to you. And more importantly, how you relate to yourself.

Much love x

Hellly
08-05-14, 21:29
Thank you for sharing this. As someone who is neck deep in HA this has helped. I have only recently started to tell my husband how I am feeling about my health and I think I have opened the flood gates. It started with him joking about it to show me how silly I am but now I can see him getting more and more withdrawn whenever I mention my troubles. This post has made me think and I plan to take a step back.

Thank you so much.

H
Xx

NotCool
08-05-14, 22:00
A good post that raises many valid points. As HA sufferers, we are really self-centered (even selfish), and we forget too easily that everyone around us has a limit on just how much "crap" they can take from us - they have their own problems, and while I think that reassurance every now and then is healthy and useful, asking for it constantly becomes counterproductive.

No one else but us can really make the difference. You mentioned how much better you eventually felt once you really started trying (CBT, stopped smoking and googling, not talking about your anxiety etc.), and I think people who suffer from the Dragon really need to take care of the basics first (me included) - developing a healthy, non sedentary life style with no or rare harmful influences (Drugs, alcohol, smoking), regular exercise, balanced diet and sleep schedule, meditation, there are loads of various therapies for mental issues available either from internet or from counselors, developing interests and hobbies, trying to establish social relationships etc..

Oh, and definitely not thinking there's a quick fix for the problem in the form of popping pills. I read a interesting comparison today:"Medication will help fight infections after leg surgery, but physical therapy is what gets you walking again. Counseling is physical therapy for your brain." Which doesn't mean that you shouldn't take pills if prescribed, just be cautious about it, and realize that recovery can be a slow process.

Worriedwellornot
08-05-14, 22:20
Hi great post and one I can really resonate with. Today my Dr has again sent me off for more tests to rule out bowel and ovarian cancer. I came home and unloaded on my husband who said well that's the next couple of months ruined whilst we wait for the results. We went to the gym but my heart wasn't in it. I'm now back on Google and my husband wants to confiscate the iPad. This scanxiety that Fish coined is terrible and I don't know how to get through the next few months and keep my relationship going....

Tanner40
08-05-14, 22:29
Kate,

Great to hear from you and know that you're doing well. Magnificent post as always. I can remember that in the worst of my HA, I came close to making my partner crazy. She is quite patient but became very impatient and withdrawn in quick order.

Sometimes it is a matter of putting others first, in order to forget ourselves for awhile. Self intent is never the cure for HA.

cpe1978
08-05-14, 22:47
I have nothing to add other than great post and I am quite sure your husband is delighted as being referred to as the 'Energiser Bunny'.

I look forward to the lengthy email - it has been too long since a proper catch up, which in itself isa good sign of some recovery I think. Xx

MRS STRESS ED
08-05-14, 23:02
Hi kate as people have said great post and you have helped me by some of the thing you have said its brought it to my attention that omg Im selfish its been all about me thankyou so much Kate you are an insperation hun xx

Serenity1990
08-05-14, 23:09
Kate I've read a lot of your posts and I've got a lot of respect for you and what you've been through. I hope this thread is of help to some of those who reached the lows I did, and I'm very glad you're well on the way!

Fishmanpa
08-05-14, 23:45
Wow... amazing post and perspective Kate... good to see you!

Positive thoughts

HoneyLove
09-05-14, 10:22
Thanks for posting all of this Kate, it's such a good insight into how health anxiety can damage personal relationship.

I separated from my husband in January this year, and my anxiety issues over the last few years were definitely a part of the marriage breakdown for him. There was a lot more to the decision to split, it was a decision we came to together after almost a year in couples therapy, so I can't blame it solely on my anxiety. But it was definitely a catalyst for part of our struggles and arguments. He had a lot of his own anxiety issues, so the pair of us together were just a ball of stress in the end.

I'm glad for you that you were able to start working on everything before it went too wrong, long may your happiness together continue :)