PDA

View Full Version : can anyone tell me how long it takes effexor to wok?

tuesdayschild44
08-05-14, 23:03
I am on my second week of effexor, the first week was at75mg and the second one here at 150mgs. I was taking Lexapro two weeks prior to that, they gave me night sweats, so I have been on something for a total of 4 weeks, I don't really feel any different.

SADnomore
08-05-14, 23:21
You need to allow for 6 to 8 weeks with Effexor for it to work properly, and restart this time frame for each increase in dose. You can expect to be through any startup side effects at about 3-4 weeks, and to have the medication stabilizing over the next couple of weeks after that. I have been on my current dose (raised after week 1) for 8 weeks now, and am feeling lots better. I was told on this forum that venlaxafine can take up to 12 weeks to take full effect. I'm feeling easily well enough to wait that out, but when I see the doctor again for an increase I will discuss something like a beta blocker to help with the tension symptoms I experienced during the start up and increase. If you have any uncomfortable symptoms, pop on here and ask, someone will know how to help them. :) Do eat something substantial before taking the med, and continue to eat and hydrate frequently through the day. Good luck! Hope Effexor helps you too! xx
Marie

tuesdayschild44
08-05-14, 23:27
Thank you, I do eat with it gave me a stomach ache the first couple of days, so it's normal to still have anxiety 4weeks in? You say it will get better though right? Today is my third day into the increased dose and I was a wreck this morning crying about everything my husband said it the med is not working call the doctor and change it, but the nurse said it might be to early to notice much change yet but she said she would ask the doctor and if he wants to change it she would call me back. She never did. I just thought I should be feeling better by now. I was hoping to anyway.

SADnomore
09-05-14, 00:02
Yes, do eat, and DO take it at the same time each day, or you will feel unwell. :wacko: Not to worry, most of us get a paradoxical increase in anxiety during startup, do you feel it physically, too, a tension in muscles of the arms and legs, and torso? Don't worry, it will all pass! For me, the physical tension was the last symptom to go, at between 4 and 5 weeks. Really worth waiting it out, as it all lifted, however I still do eat regularly and healthily (you know, reasonably speaking, lol!) Honestly, I would ask for something like a beta-blocker to help you cope with the anxiety, hunni, and hang in there! This could be the one to help, don't give up yet! :bighug1:
Marie