PDA

View Full Version : New Person

Ray
03-08-04, 15:27
Hi ppl

Firstly I would like to say that this website and forum has been very helpful to me when I have been searching for some answers to my questions.

Here's my story:

I'm 26 years old and live in Yorkshire, even when young I have been a very active individual enjoying sports espicailly football. Fortunatly I have had no major health concerns and see myself as a healthy person. Over the past year I have been commuting to work covering around 120miles a day (60 miles each way) at first i didnt mind as i enjoyed driving but over the past two months i have been getting very fed up with it as it adds an extra 3hrs to my working day. However, I wouldnt say that I was stressed with it I just accepted it and did it everyday.

Two weeks ago I was travelling home on the motorway as normal when suddenly I felt that I was short of breath. I was chewing gum at that point and wound down the window and spat it out. My chest felt really tight and I thought I couldnt breath...I had to slow down and move into the slow lane of the motorway nearest to the hardsholder. I then started to get pins and needles in my hands and feet and tinglining sensations in my face lips. I didn have a clue what was happening to me and i thought i was going to crash the car....dont know how but i made it to the next service station where I just sat in the car and tried to regulate my breathing, but it wasnt helping. I was really scared as nothing like this has ever happned to me so I called an ambulance from my mobile.

The Ambulance arrived and the paramedics took me inside and were telling me to clam down and concentrate on my breathing. They said that i had a panic attack.....i asked them why as i'd never had one before....and they said it just sometimes happens to people without warning. they took me to the hospital where the doctor said it was stress and that i should take some time off work and relax. 'Stress' i thought....i wasnt stressed, maybe a little tired but not stressed...i never get stressed. Anyway I am now sat at home trying to relax but i cant...i feel on edge all the time, sometimes a bit unsteady, I feel as if i have a lump in my throat like when you get nervous before an exam and my palms get sweaty ocassionally. i have had problems sleeping and feel myself just jumping everytime i think I'm finally going to sleep. I have been experiencing this for almost a week now and it doesnt seem to be going away. It comes in phases throughout the day and gets better and worse randomly. I have been sitting at home trying to relax as the doctor said but find myself worrying about why I'm worrrying!!

I'm due to go back to work on monday but fear that I wont be able to do my job properly as I will be worrying all the time...and that i may have another panic attack.

After searching the net and this web site i feel that i am suffering form Anxiety....

Do you think i have GAD?

Should I go to the doctor and ask for medication?

Should i try natural remedy like AMORYN?

Any help appreciated.

Ray

Laurie28
03-08-04, 16:35
Hiya Ray,

have you read Nics story on the website it is very similar. Have a look at Megs First Steps page (in the welcome section) that gives you lots of practical advice on helping yourself. Alot of what you have described are common anxiety symptoms.

When I read your line Stressed I'm not stressed it was so like what I thought when I was 'peaking' but sometimes we don't know how to relax.

It could be sitting dwelling on this is making you worse. I would suggest going to the doctor but you do not have to take medication unless you really want to. there are steps you have to take whilst on medication to get yourself 'better' (again Meg's page will help)

Any questions just ask!!!

Lucky

Ray
03-08-04, 18:31
thanks lucky.

nomorepanic
03-08-04, 21:12
Hiya Ray

Your story does sound like mine in so far as I had my first panic attack in the car and it has taken me 11 years to be able to really drive with confidence again.

I never gave up driving just panicked all the while!!

You can read my story at www.nomorepanic.co.uk/mystory.htm

It may help you if you can relate to what I went through so you can see that we are quite similar.

I would try and avoid meds yet if you can as you are so early on in the panic that u may be able to cure yourself more easily (I hope so).

I hope work goes ok on Monday.

Nicola

Tessie28
03-08-04, 21:22
Hi Ray,

well you have come to the best place there is. I'm sure others will say the same thing that I will.
It really does feel like out of the blue to many people and there is every chance it could just get better given time and coping strategies. Touch wood - it has for me. I was terrible back in April/May after I broke my wrist and had high blood pressure [it's a long boring story]. I've had good help from my GP and you should go back if you don't think you can cope just yet at work. I take an anti depressant anyway so that helps buts he/she may suggest some other medication. These medications usually take a while to work so if that happens be patient. I also used rescue remedy and found a coping strategies tape very helpful. Best of all was the advice and support from the wonderful people on this site who are all behind you all the way. It made me feel 'normal' when I thought they might have to take me away [literally].

What you said about going to sleep or not - the jerking awake thing is exactly what happened to me. I didn't know if it was the trouble I'd had with my op or just the panic. Reading what you said I know now it was the panic that kept me awake. It got better over time so try not to worry.

I found myself on the site in the early hours constantly reassuring myself that I was 'normal'. Then you know you are not alone because it can be hard to explain to loved ones who have never known a feeling like it.

Well thats enough from me, take care and hang on in there,
love from Tess

Ray
04-08-04, 11:02
Thanks Nicola and Tess, I had a good nights sleep last night and feel a lot better this morning. I went to the chemist yesterday and got something called Kalms......so i'm going to take them and see how it goes. I'm planning on going to work on Friday as it will give me the weekend in between to relax hopefully if I find work too much.

Its not really the work I'm anxious about more then travelling to and from work in the car.....as in your story Nicola I feel that I may have another Panic attack and the whole thing will start again. However, I feel more confident after reading some of the strategies like breathing etc on this website.

So i will be visiting the doctor tomorrow to get my 'fit note' and WILL be driving to work on Friday. Will keep you posted on how it goes.

Regards

Ray

Laurie28
04-08-04, 12:03
Hiya Ray,

Anticiapatory anxiety is horrid... all the whatv if's that fly through your mind!!

Be prepared have some water and some good tapes in the car. It is likely you won't suffer a panic (fingers crossed for you) and the only way your mind will believe that you will not panic is if you keep doing the same thing (ie the thing you are scared off) again and again.

You have the right attitude Ray keep it up and let us know how you do

love
Lucky

Meg
04-08-04, 17:02
Hi Ray,

Driving is one of the most common places for panic to hit you as you are just sitting on autopilot and gives your subconcious a good space to ' chew the cud' and go over things it's not happy with .

Cast your mind back and try to recall what you may have been dwelling on.
I was fine until the day I wasn't.

Are you exercising this week ?? It a great help to use up that extra adrenalin.

On Friday take some feel good old favourite CD's for the car and sing and sing. Think about something that takes your concentration and if you find yourself being introspective about - what if - conciously take your attention each time to something else.

Check your caffiene and sugar intake for few weeks .
Kalms are good , rescue remedy may help too.

If you do feel anxious do some breath control . 4 in 7 out .

Let us know how you're doing .

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

Ray
04-08-04, 23:03
Thanks Lucky and Megg for the support.

I have been excersising this week just light though at home in my bedroom....situps...press ups etc. I will be going to the gym tomorrow evening and burn some of that adrenaline.

I was out today with one of my friends for most of the day and felt fine most of the time...there were times when i was on the edge a bit but managed to distract my thoughts...it was hard but i manged to do it. I was lucky because I bumped into a old school friend of mine I hadnt seen for almost 8 years and it turned out that he was a doctor and had been practicing for a couple of years now. I explained to him what had happned to me and how i was feeling and he was good enough to talk to me about it for 20mins in the car which really helped. Most of the stuff he said is on this website but it just reasurred me that i was going down the right path.

His main advice to me was to not stop doing the stuff I was doing before my panic attack, as its like a vicious circle and you have to break out of it to get on the road of recovery.

This website has been so helpful to me and all you people who have replied to my post have been great. I hope we all get over our bad moments and have a happy future as I'm sure we will.

Speak soon.

Regards

Ray

sarah
04-08-04, 23:09
Hi Ray

Welcome to the site.

I hope we can give you all the help and support you need here.

Luckily you have been diagnosed and sought help quickly. This should make your recovery a little speedier!!!!

Take care and any questions, dont hesitate to ask!!!

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

Ray
09-08-04, 11:17
Hi ppl

An update on my situation:

Went to work on Friday as mentioned above....the drive was hard....i was very anxious....espicially when I drove past the service station where i had my panic attack. However, I made it, arriving at work I was very tired as the drive had drained me emotionally and physically. Part of the reason is that I have been anxious after my panic attack and that has effected my appetite which went from eating like a horse to one meal a day!!!!. I left work at lunchtime as I wasnt feeling too great very exhausted...the drive back was better than the drive to work but when i arrived home i was absolutly knackered.

I had a word with tmy HR manager and explained to her my situation, she was very understanding and is going to try her best to get me a move to a office closer to home. She told me to take some more time off work and try and relax plus get my energy back.

My appetite is coming back now as my anxiety is reducing, i have noticed that my anxiety is at its greatest in the morning after I wake up and tends to dissapate during the day and by the evening I am some what normal.

I am getting my blood tested to rule out any other causes of my anxiety, i have also noticed that when i am out with my friends that my anxiety is reduced considerably because I am not thinking about it...so it is a mind over matter thing for me probably because my anxiety is mild compared to other people.

Anyway thats where I am at...still struggling on...i hope we all get over our anxiety and panic situations.

Speak soon.

Ray

apm
09-08-04, 11:50
Hi Ray- welcome. You'll find this site is stuffed with useful advice, and a great source of support when you're feeling uncertain about things, or just want some help.

Your story sounds very like mine, although I was at home rather than in the car (I do commute 80 miles a day, Kent to Essex). You'll be pleased to hear that the aftermath of acute anxiety fades after a while, and sleep will return to normal (I didn't sleep more than a couple of hours a night for 3 weeks), as will your life. I am 5 months in, and all is 97% back to normal. Just get the odd blip, which these days is more just like a bit of anxiety. I am also familiar with the feeling like something is stuck in your throat- unpleasant, but does go.

So, keep the faith- you got a wake up call, take a look at your life and health, and all will be well.

Best,

Alex.

Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
-Groucho Marx.

Tessie28
09-08-04, 16:22
Hi Ray,
sorry to hear you found going to work hard. When you have had panic attacks it very often moves on [or downscales] to anxiety. I was like that and getting better takes a time.

Did you talk it over with your GP? It might help. Meanwhile it sounds like your boss is understanding, that's good.

Remember that when you feel the level of anxiety rising [mine was always worse first thing in the morning] try to distract yourself. I know this sounds odd but I used to get out my Monty Python cd and others that made me laugh. Or I would sing along at the top of my voice to the radio [the cats in rehab now!!!].

don't know if that helps but keep posting,
love from Tess

Meg
09-08-04, 17:45
Hi Ray ,

Congrats on Friday - well done . You are doing all the right things.

Food - little and often . Its preferable to eat several nutritious snacks than one meal . Lessens the stress on the endocrine system . I hope you're on Vit B.

I had a word with tmy HR manager and explained to her my situation, she was very understanding and is going to try her best to get me a move to a office closer to home. She told me to take some more time off work and try and relax plus get my energy back.

Be wary of changing offices in a hurry , it will rubber stamp your system that it was right to be scared. Its much better longterm to overcome this and then move from choice rather than from avoidance and fear.

If its on offer you could do short working days rather than full ones but taking time off only gives you time to dwell and if you're well enough my advice is to continue at work but shorter hours for a few weeks.

Always good to have a check up but as you say i have also noticed that when i am out with my friends that my anxiety is reduced considerably because I am not thinking about it. thus its unlikely to be something else.

Keep up the good progress.

Meg

Robert Albert Bloch

Ray
02-09-04, 16:51
Hi ppl

Update - Back at work now manager has agreed to let me work form home a coupe of days a week to reduce the time spent on the road travelling to and from work. I work in I.T so working form home is the norm...guess i'm lucky that way.

My anxiety has gone and have been fine for about 2-3 weeks now.....driving to work has got better as well.

However some days although i have no anxiety i feel that I have a very unreal sort of feeling....i am aware where i am and what i am doing but its as if I'm in a virtual word.....sounds weird i knw but thats the best way i can explain it.

Any one else have this unreal sort of feeling????

Ray

Meg
02-09-04, 17:05
Hi Ray,

Very pleased to hear you are doing so well.

Great about the working from home thing now you have
proved you can cope with the journey.

What you're feeling may well be depersonalization and de realization . Brains way of protecting itself when stressed and awash with stress chemicals . Doesn't have to be panicky to get this .

As you learn to relax more it wears off

Congratulations

Meg

Robert Albert Bloch

sal
02-09-04, 19:13
Hi Ray

Pleased you managed to get back to work and your manager has let you work at home a couple of day to help lesses the stress of the travelling.

It is quite common how you are feeling like Meg says.

I hope you carry on to improve how you have over the last few weeks.

Good luck

Love Sal xxxxx

nomorepanic
02-09-04, 19:18
Hi Ray

Great news on going back to work.

I work in IT too and when I was at my worst I took a month off work but they brought me a computer round and I carried on doing stuff from there. It gave me a reason to get up in the morning and also helped them at work.

Do you know what helped you get better? Anything specific?

Great news anyway!

Nicola

Ray
13-09-04, 17:33
Hi ppl

Thanks for all your positive comments and support, much appreciated and it really does help me.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Do you know what helped you get better? Anything specific?
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

To answer your question Nicola I would say TIME.

TIME to understand what had happened to me
TIME to investigate why I had a panic attack & then Anxiety
TIME to find out how I can help myself & where to go for advice
TIME to get back in the driving seat and start driving again
TIME to try and return my life to normal as was b4 my Panic Attack
TIME to look at my lifestyle and change it for the better

I would say I am still on the healing curve as I still have at least a couple of days within the week where i dnt feel as normal as I was before i had my Panic Attack. There are days where i feel like I'm walking on a tight rope with Panic on one side and Normality (If there is such a thing) on the other, and i find myself trying to balance my emotions throughout the day to stay on the side of normality. Sounds weird but thats the best way i can explain it.

How long did it take for you Nicola before you regained a sense of normality after your Panic attack?

Regards

Ray

sal
14-09-04, 00:45
Hi Ray

Pleased to hear things are improving for you and you are taking into account why this has all happened.

I dont suppose any of us will ever be able to answer all the questions but just by recognising them is a great step forward.

I can totally understand you feel like walking on a tite rope, feel like that quite often myself.

I feel like i am in between normality and losing it and what ever happens i will fall either way, normally the wrong way!!

Suppose you feel at times you are nearly there but then it all slips away from you, but once you have nearly got there you know you can achieve it again.

Time is the essense and we all need to recognise that. There is no time limit on this illness. We cant put a cast on and be promised to be well again in six weeks and i think that is the biggest and hardest struggle we have to accept.

You will be the same person again but only with added experience and knowledge which is only a positive step forward.

Hope you keep improving and well done to you.

Love Sal xxxxx

nomorepanic
19-09-04, 17:45
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">
How long did it take for you Nicola before you regained a sense of normality after your Panic attack?
<div align="right">Originally posted by Ray - 13 September 2004 : 17:33:12</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Hi Ray - do you mean after each specific panic attack or in general?

After each one I used to feel drained for the rest of the day - it is tiring work isn't it?

Nicola

Ray
20-09-04, 13:38
Yes it is tiring work.......

I ment in general.....how long has it been since your last serious panic attack?

Ray

Ray
20-09-04, 13:41
Thanks Sal

nomorepanic
20-09-04, 20:17
Ray

I haven't had one this year - just anxiety but not full blown panic.

It has taken me 11 years to get here however!!

Nicola

Ray
22-09-04, 15:15
11 years!!!!....looks like i got a long way to go....:)

nomorepanic
23-09-04, 20:28
Ray

Not atall. Mine was left un-diagnosed for so long.

Had a minor setback this week with my first real bad anxiety this year but hey I can fight back (read my post about "a bridge too far").

Not everyone suffers as long as me - I am not the norm I hope!!!

Nicola

sal
24-09-04, 01:08
Hi Ray

Not easy is it.

Nic is right read her post after she has done so well.

We have all suffered a length of time and have all felt there is no light but we are all still here, whether we have found it or still looking for it mate.

Good days and REALLY bad days but we all come out for the best in time.

Love Sal xxxxx

Ray
08-05-07, 15:16
Hi people thought I would give you an update.

It’s been 3 years now since my last post…. (See page 1 of this post for my story). Progress has been very good I’ve not had a Panic attack for over 2 years now and almost no anxiety however; there are still times when I feel on edge. I take this as it comes and have just accepted it as part of my life.

Controlling my breathing has been the key for me alongside positive thinking, forcing myself to get on with life and not be beaten by anxiety. I have also realised that caffeine is a big NO for me, sends me loopy and puts me on edge all the time, I don’t drink it anymore.

As I had my 1st panic attack whilst I was driving on the motorway, getting back on the motorway has been my biggest hurdle. I would say I have overcome this by 70% now but there are still times when I get anxious ahead of a long journey but I remind myself that I can’t have another panic attack because I now know how to control my breathing. My biggest achievement has been driving to Germany and back with a friend…I never thought I would do it but I did, and it was great.

As I read about Panic attacks and anxiety I knew that I was in no way a big suffer and was lucky in the fact that there were a lot of people who suffered more than I did. I went to my doctor to seek her advice and was amazed how quickly she was advising me to take medication, I refused. Thinking about it now I am glad I refused the medication because in my case I really do believe that I would be worse off if I started on them.

For people that are in same position that I was in 3 years ago, my advice is:

Read as much as you can about Panic attacks and anxiety. Knowing your fear / condition is the best way to overcome it.
Learn how to control your breathing – essential
Set yourself weekly targets…if you fail try again.
Tell your family and friends what you are doing so they can understand and help you.
Keep active regular exercise
Try to cut out stimulants – Coffee, Red bull etc
If you can, reduce your alcohol intake – I don’t drink anymore at all.
Take time out every week to relax….do what you enjoy.
If anyone as any questions they want to ask me feel free and I will do my best to answer them.

Take it easy

Ray

groovygranny
08-05-07, 17:11
Hi Ray

WELL DONE !!

Lots of good advice there - thank you for posting it!

:yesyes:

Southern_Belle
08-05-07, 17:54
Hi Ray,

Glad to see you are doing so well and excellent tips.

Laura :)

sarah1984
08-05-07, 21:36
Hi Ray,
Good to see you back and hear that you're doing so well. Thanks for the tips.