PDA

View Full Version : Tips on how to deal with car ride tomorrow

GingerFish
09-05-14, 13:58
My panics attacks are currently going through a bad phase atm again, they flare up every now and again so to speak and tomorrow I'm going to the pool with my family and bf. I don't drive, my stepdad will be driving. The journey there takes about an hour. The car we have is very cramped and that doesn't help with my panics!

I was in the car the other day there and took a massive panic attacks and it has kinda dented my confidence as I had been doing great recently with dealing with them. Everyone says that I shouldn't feel bad because I was cramped in the back, the heating was on full blast, I hadn't ate and I was stressed about my gran being in hospital (thankfully she was out in a few hrs)

I plan to sit in the front tomorrow and have the window down and eat before I go but I'm still worried. I do have 2mg diazepam I was given for back spasms. I would take one but I am worried that they would knock me out because the last 2 times I have taken one, they knocked me out though maybe that was because I was at home and had nothing to do so they made me sleepy.

Anyhoo if someone could just give me tips on how to deal with the journey there and back, I would be most grateful. The tips will also help with other car journeys through time.

Annie0904
09-05-14, 14:09
I always have a bottle of Bach Rescue remedy with me on car journeys :)

GingerFish
09-05-14, 14:44
I'll need to try that Bach stuff. Heard that a lot people use that for anxiety.
My mum suggested taking a diazepam before bed tonight so that I get a good nights sleep and it might make me a bit calmer tomorrow. Sleep will help but I don't think there would be enough diazepam in my system by the drive to make me calm. I would take a tablet before the drive but I'm scared it would make me sleepy and I don't want to be tired at the start of a day out and I also want to beat the panics myself if that makes sense?

Cheesemonster13
09-05-14, 15:38
Hi GingerFish

You need to plan for the journey, as this will help prepare you for any eventuality AND give you back a sense of control.

1. Before the journey, consult the driver about possible stopping places on the route. If you know that you can ask them to stop in an emergency it might help to reduce your anxiety. It might be worth getting them to definitely stop for five minutes, halfway, to breakup the journey for you.

2. Eat breakfast before you go, but don't drink any coffee.

3. Ask everyone travelling with you to put bags and other stuff in the boot so that you don't feel so cramped in the car.

4. Take a bottle of water to drink. Also, one of those plastic spray-bottles filled with cold water - spray your face and wrists if you get too hot and sweaty.

Enjoy your trip :)

Magic
09-05-14, 16:12
Gingerfish, I have the same problem. Everyone who's car I get into I have to tell them.
Cheesemonster's advice is good. I could not say anything more.
Good Luck xx

PanchoGoz
09-05-14, 23:18
Pretend you're driving!

GingerFish
15-05-14, 14:13
Well I went in the car. We never went to the pool, we went to our local country park since the weather was nice. I was ok on the way up. I had a few minor panics but they were gone quickly and no one noticed but on the way back we drove on the busy by pass and suddenly boom! Major panic attack to the point I burst out crying and had to hold my mum's hand the entire way back. I was mainly crying with frustration because I was ok on the way up and was ok walking about the country park and had a great night. Everyone was understanding pretty much cuz everyone else is in the car except for my partner has panic attacks. I'm the only one who has panic disorder though.

My mum and bf said I am too hard on myself. I have done so well lately after being housebound ffor months that now I feel as though I'm back at square one whenever I have an attack and everyone says that's not true - as long as I'm still getting out there and dealing with them, it doednt matter if I still get attacks but I feel like a failure for still getting them, whether I can deal with them or not. When I get one now, I sit and thump my legs in anger and frustration, to the point I have bruises. Urgh its just so annying living with them day in day out.

shannabanna
15-05-14, 14:48
I always familiarise myself with the route first and identify places where I could ask the driver to stop, have a breather, go to the loo etc. Usually I don't need to do this but it settles me to have the reassurance that I can stop if I need to.

If I do feel panicky in the car I play alphabet games such as thinking of as many girls names beginning with A, B.... Just takes my mind off things. :)