PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety's back

joanne30
10-05-14, 11:33
My anxiety is really bad. My mum has been diagnosed with early stages of dementia, which is devastating. I'm having refresher driving lessons because I lost my confidence just after passing my driving test 13 years ago. I've just bought a car, but I'm regretting it now because I know I won't drive it because my anxiety is too bad. My driving instructor keeps saying that I should have looked around more for a better deal, because where I bought the car from has ripped me off. He also doesn't like the colour of the car I bought.
I feel like cancelling the order for my car and quitting my driving lessons. My anxiety is too bad.

Oosh
10-05-14, 11:38
Your instructor doesn't like the colour of your car ? Tell him to shut it !

If they've ripped you off, give it back then get a good deal. Dont give up completely !

Driving Is great. I think my life changed when I learned to drive, so be sure to stick with it.

Goldfinch
10-05-14, 12:32
Honestly, I can't see why the colour of your car is any business of your driving instructor! You have just had some devastating news, enough to make anyone feel terrible, and possibly it would be a good idea to postpone the lessons until you have had some more time to come to terms with it. And maybe find an instructor who doesn't keep making unhelpful comments.

Ange1
10-05-14, 13:51
Mmmm if your instructor thinks you've been ripped off and has the cheek to say he doesn't like the colour...bin him! Plenty of good driving instructors out there who act professionally and keep their opinions to themselves. If YOU think you've been ripped off then cancel if possible and look again.
I've been putting off driving for a year or so now with excuse after excuse to myself but a few weeks ago I decided to face it straight on as there were things I really wanted to do and couldn't without driving. Yes I was anxious ( well that's an understatement!)but it felt great after and gets easier every time. In a few months time you'll be wondering why you were so bothered by it. I'm going to look for a car now but I guess what I'm trying to say is the more you put it off the harder it gets. You've got a lot on your plate with you mum so don't be too hard on yourself and your instructor isn't helping x

Ryan92
10-05-14, 23:30
Hi joanne, hopefully you feel better after reading our comments :hugs:

Your instructor needs to learn to keep his mouth shut and think more of other peoples feelings. Do you feel he is making you more anxious ?, if so then chuck him. He should be there to help you and not to criticise your choices. There are nice and understanding instructors out there :)

If you like the colour of your car then you should be happy and not care what your instructor thinks.

I know how it feels to be very anxious due to driving lessons, I've not had any driving lessons for four years. The driving instructor who I was with was very understanding and patient but after a few lessons I couldn't cope with the anxiety anymore.

I was having panic attacks. I feel that with my current anxiety and lack of confidence I cant start driving lessons again anytime soon.

A family member of mine has dementia so I just want you to know you're not alone :)

Best wishes :hugs:

joanne30
11-05-14, 00:56
I don't think the instructor is making my anxiety worse. He's very complementary about my driving. He can be very opinionated, maybe I'm being over sensitive because of my anxiety. I'm anxious that when I have the car (it's been ordered), that I won't have the confidence to drive it and that it will be a waste of money. I don't want to change instructors because I feel relaxed with him. It's a very stressful time because of my mum.