PDA

View Full Version : Feeling trapped and on edge

NE21 worrier
10-05-14, 14:43
Hello folks,

I'm sorry to say I'm struggling a bit today. I've not slept well for a few days again now, and yet constantly feel shattered. As is often the case, work would seem to be the root cause of my anxiety. I spent two months off last year while I went on Sertraline and waited for some CBT to be sorted out. Things got much better for while but I've had a really crap few weeks there with lots of bad calls - a couple of them were even quite abusive which has done nothing for my self-esteem.

I'm already dreading going back in on Monday despite the fact that I have an escape route in that I have been recommended for appointment at a different employer. I have no start date at the new place so I feel as if I'm in purgatory at the moment. I just want to put my notice in already but can see how this could look damaging in the future so I'm just trying to get through each week at the moment.

I've also got a social event this afternoon with friends who generally cheer me up but I'm struggling to sum up much desire to go. Part of me just wants to curl up in bed and forget about the world but again I probably wouldn't sleep anyway. I'm even worried that, following my mixed form on the recent trip to Germany, some of them will get frustrated that I seem to be falling into the same traps as I was this time last year.

My appetite is usually the first thing to go when I feel like this and, while I have managed some lunch, it was a right struggle. I feel tight in the chest and as if I am burning up. I've got brain fog and feel... well, just sad really - as if I'm constantly close to breaking down.

I think I need to let someone know as I'm bottling this all up at the moment. My parents know I'm struggling at work right now - but I don't know if they realise just how close to edge I am.

Thanks for reading,
Peter :weep:

Annie0904
10-05-14, 16:23
I am sorry you are feeling down again Peter :( Like you say it is probably mostly due to work at the moment. Hang in there until you get a start date for the new employer and things might start to get better.
On a lighter note...I hope Newcastle will let Liverpool score as many goals as possible tomorrow :D

NE21 worrier
11-05-14, 11:19
Wow that has been a tough last 24 hours! :sad:

Rather than feeling on edge last night, I basically went over the top of it again last night. Descended into another set of panic attacks in the pub when out with my friends.

Broke down crying and shook quite violently, stayed out for a bit but then endured a fairly sleepless night. Got myself home on the first train (I was out in Middlesbrough) while the others were still sleeping off their exertions. Have sent apologies to my friends by text message. Now back in bed.

Work has again undoubtedly been the trigger - my confidence in my own ability recent days and weeks there has been utterly obliterated and, after discussing the matter as fully as I can with my friends, I've realised the job really isn't worth all this continuous stress. Considering I have another job starting soon, I'm therefore setting my heart on quitting - and that thought is the only thing which is relaxing me at the moment.

Even with this, though, there are logistical obstacles:
1/ I suspect I will be required to work my notice period (4 weeks) by the terms of my contract - when really I just want it over and done.
2/ I worry how leaving early due to stress will affect my next job. As far as I know, the new job is not frontline so I should find it easier to deal with - but this one and the last are both through government departments so they are connected in that way. I have also already done a health declaration for my new job in which confirmed I was managing my issues effectively - because I was at the time.
3/ I know this sounds daft but I don't even have a printer at home to run off a notice letter - It would be great if I could just not turn up tomorrow - I wanted just to run away again before going out with friends yesterday - but obviously I still want to do things in a proper way, after all.

I'm trying to deal with all of this in the calmest, most logical way possible, considering the ills of the last day or so. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Peter:)

Annie0904
11-05-14, 11:49
You don't have long left in that job now anyway Peter so see that as a POSITIVE. If you can carry on working then I think it would be best to do that but knowing that every day you are getting closer to the end of it. If it is really causing you too much stress then hand your notice in, but yes you will have to work your notice. No one needs to know why you handed it in early.

NE21 worrier
11-05-14, 12:33
Thanks for your reply, Annie. Hope you have had a relaxing weekend after your own recent difficulties. I won't say I regret visiting friends as they are absolutely brilliant for me and I expect that I would have gone over the edge even if I had stayed at home - or perhaps even been worse due to the guilt of letting them down.

Nevertheless, I naturally feel like a burden on them when I am like that and they just want to get on with having a good time. I'm glad I've left them to it today as very much I need my own space and rest. I'm already watching the football and looking forward to LFC v NUFC later on, though I expect the Reds will have many difficulties today given that we've been on the beach since February... all depends on West Ham.

As for the work situation - I remain conflicted: All my anxious instincts are telling me to run like hell - or basically negotiate as early a finish to the contract as possible, though I would surely need a GPs note for this and I don't want the GP stopping me from my new job.

Alternatively, it would be better from a professional perspective if I left after a fair notice period. In the meantime, I could speak to the union (I have a friend who is a rep who I can contact today) and management about adjusting my work hours for the last period, perhaps?

I certainly need to have some sort of meeting again but, having given previous assurances that I was doing much better, I'm worried about what would be said and keep playing out various scenarios in my head. The physical symptoms are reducing but the mind is still racing!

Peter

NE21 worrier
11-05-14, 19:48
I'm so scared of going in tomorrow to formally quit - even though I see it as the only way forward. Just hate the fact that my mind seems to associate this automatically with a personal failure :sad:

Annie0904
11-05-14, 21:05
It is not a failure at all Peter, I quit my job because of my anxiety but I am not a failure. I was strong for coping with it as long as I did. It is no good staying somewhere that makes you so unhappy and ill.

NE21 worrier
20-05-14, 22:21
Sorry I haven't posted on this thread until now. Also apologies, Annie - I didn't mean to suggest anyone who quits their job is a failure - I'm just frustrated because, while I can do the job reasonably well, the very nature of it will always add to my stress levels.

Anyway, in the end, I haven't quit yet but instead I spoke to my manager about what a horrible last weekend I had endured. I didn't have to take calls on the Monday morning but, after listening into some other advisors, my confidence perked up and I elected to go back on the phones from the afternoon. Overall, things went a bit better last week and I met up with friends on Saturday and had a glorious day at Wembley on Sunday on the Gateshead bandwagon (shame about the result!).

But I'm not out the woods yet. For, also, I must add that yesterday throughout, despite having taken the day after Wembley off, I was back on edge and I was physically ill this morning having eaten late last night. I'm all tight in the chest again and feel quite tense this evening. I feel as if I'm struggling generally at the moment and just muddling through.

And I'm absolutely desperate for that new job to get back to me...

NE21 worrier
21-05-14, 07:17
Slept well enough (approx 8 hours) but still feel tired.

Woke up at about 6am with masses of adrenaline running through me. Somehow got back to sleep but have now woke up again still with loads of adrenaline - feeling nauseous, and got a really tight chest :sad:

Annie0904
21-05-14, 10:01
I am sorry you are having a tough time with anxiety again Peter. Have you managed to get to work today? I really think the work is the root of your problem and once you get a new job hopefully you will improve.

NE21 worrier
21-05-14, 16:42
Yeah, I made it into work today and I just got on with it - I almost feel as if I'm on autopilot in there sometimes, taking call after call. As I was busy, my anxiety dropped away and I've been able to come home an hour early on a beautiful sunny day as I'm meeting a friend this evening.

My mood has picked up again but it's a rather exhausting battle again at the moment...

Annie0904
21-05-14, 16:45
I am pleased that your day got better. Morning anxiety is always the worst. Enjoy your evening :hugs:

NE21 worrier
22-05-14, 20:57
Just back from work - though I feel I've been to hell and back today. Lots of calls about overpayment letters and, by the afternoon, I had cracked. Called the Samaritans on my lunch in tears and spoke briefly to my mam - both advised me that I really needed to express my concerns again to my manager.

I did and they've made an adjustment so that I will no longer have to answer calls about overpayments. I have always been able to cope with the remit which I am on but I still feel really rather tense and upset about things. Hopefully now, though, I will still be able to go out of this job with my head held high.

Annie0904
22-05-14, 21:01
Sorry you have had such a bad day Peter but at least they have made some adjustments which will hopefully make it a bit easier for you to cope with.

NE21 worrier
22-05-14, 21:09
I hope so. I just wish I would stop feeling so tense all of the time. I even took 2mg diazepam this morning to get myself to work - and I don't like taking the stuff as I know it's not a long-term answer.

Nevertheless, I don't have much diazepam left for emergencies now and I doubt the doctor would prescribe any more without good explanation so even this is worrying me. Do you think it's just a case of waiting for time to pass for me to feel less tense now?

Annie0904
22-05-14, 21:12
2mg is a very low dose, might be worth speaking to your doctor about it. I think as soon as you can get a change of job you will be much more relaxed.

swgrl09
22-05-14, 23:21
It's worth asking. I have an rx for 2 mg for emergencies. When I run out, my doctor refills it... It helps that it takes me about 6 months to go through the 30 pills, so she knows I'm not relying on it.

NE21 worrier
23-05-14, 07:40
Still really tense this morning. Stomach and chest are tight, head feels shattered, didn't sleep well. Not sure I'm doing the right thing persisting even with the adjustment in place... :sad:

Annie0904
23-05-14, 08:29
See how it goes today Peter with the adjustments, if it still doesn't work then maybe you shouldn't persist. :hugs:

NE21 worrier
23-05-14, 08:31
I've called in sick with stress and anxiety and I've got a doctor's appointment at 10.20am. I feel as if I'm back to the start. Indeed, I really don't know if I'm doing the right thing at all and I think I'm going to have disappointed my manager after the reasonable adjustment which was made as I said I would be ok after the adjustment and I feel as if I've lied to her.

But I just couldn't go on like I am. I'm worried what impact this will have on any reference to my new job as I'm triggering formal absence procedures again. I feel as if I want to break down and cry as I'm so scared I'm compromising my future :weep:

Annie0904
23-05-14, 08:37
Peter, don't be concerned with the future at the moment. We need to deal with the here and now. The reality is that you are not well and need time to get better. I know that worrying about work only makes you feel worse. I was in the same position myself and I left work to gave myself time to recover without the pressure of going back.
I was able to get ESA for a year which helped out financially although it was no where near what I was earning.

NE21 worrier
23-05-14, 08:41
I feel slightly more relaxed already, having made a decision but I know my manager will be in contact with me as soon as she gets in to find out why I haven't made it in today. She's very reasonable but I think she will be disappointed that I haven't made it in because of the adjustment and the fact that I have coped well taking those calls before.

Nevertheless, I also feel absolutely destroyed, knackered and I know the tension is all still there :sad:

Annie0904
23-05-14, 08:48
She shouldn't actually be calling you if you have phoned in sick but if she does, just tell her that you have been ill all night and need to go to the doctors today.

NE21 worrier
23-05-14, 09:04
I spoke to another manager when I called in sick and I agreed to discuss my options vis a vis leave/sick when my manager gets in at 10 so I'm expecting a phone call.

I'm feeling a bit better now so I don't know if I've done the right thing. I feel really depressed and disappointed with myself about the whole situation that I've let it get this far...

blueangel
23-05-14, 09:11
Is there any other work they could put you on for now, such as doing admin/filing? That would get you out of the firing line for a bit and help with the confidence issues.

NE21 worrier
23-05-14, 09:16
There probably is. They're generally quite good at accommodating me, I just couldn't face going in today as I'm mentally gone - but, at the same time, I feel like I've let myself down and I'm not even sure I'm doing the right thing :(

Annie0904
23-05-14, 09:25
I remember feeling the same myself and you just make yourself worse by then worrying about NOT going in. Peter you have a long weekend to help you get your head round things. Don't feel guilty about taking today off. You had a really bad day yesterday which will have exhausted you. Explain this to your Manager and let her know that you really appreciated your chat with her yesterday and how she has helped you and that you hope to start with those changes next week.

NE21 worrier
23-05-14, 10:09
10 mins til docs appointment so I'm heading around now. Fortunately it's just around the corner.

I've just broken down again. Every time I think about work, I end being overcome by a massive sadness and in floods of tears and I don't even know why :weep:

Annie0904
23-05-14, 10:12
Aww Peter, I was just the same with work, it has to change for you as it is obviously the root of your anxiety. Let me know what your doctor says.

NE21 worrier
23-05-14, 11:30
Hello Annie and any other readers,

I've been to the doctor and I'm glad I went. I actually broke down in the waiting room again but was able to compose myself for when I went to see him although my mind was/is absolutely racing and everything just seemed to come out in one big long jumble. Not unusual, I guess - it's a classic anxiety symptom.

I explained how a change at work had sent me over the top but also explained the reasonable adjustment and requested not to be signed off long-term at the moment as I may be a lot better at dealing at the lesser remit after a short-term dose of diazepam.

I also contacted my manager back rather than waiting anxiously on receiving a call as I knew this would make me worse. I explained that, even with the adjustment, at the minute I needed time to settle everything down - but that I had not been signed off and that, in an ideal world, the diazepam will have settled me down and I would be ok to resume on Tuesday.

At the same time, I didn't make any commitment to go back on Tuesday - just advised I would follow sickness procedure if I still couldn't make it in. I've just had a cuppa and my first couple of diazepam while I catch up on the election news. I imagine I will need some proper rest shortly.

Thanks for your help this morning. At least I go into this period with the benefit of knowledge of how the condition works so I think I'll be doing better again shortly. Hopefully, anyway...

Peter :)

Annie0904
23-05-14, 11:33
Forget about work for the weekend Peter and just relax and enjoy it :)

NE21 worrier
23-05-14, 11:35
Well, that's what I intend to do and what my manager is allowing me to do - as I've mentioned, she's a reasonable lass and has always treated me very well.

How are things yourself? Recovering well?

Annie0904
23-05-14, 11:42
I am still feeling a bit weak and going in for the op has triggered my anxiety a bit. I am trying to be positive. Going to Malta in 2 weeks so have to get myself sorted out :)

NE21 worrier
23-05-14, 12:09
I've never been to Malta but I have heard good things about it so I expect you'll have a good time - you've done well with your trips away recently.

Also, a couple of weeks is longer than you think if you just take each day as it comes so I'm sure there will be some sense of normality which will return by then.

You've been a great support this last few days and this morning again. You're like an internet mammy :bighug1::roflmao:

Annie0904
23-05-14, 12:13
Aww thank you Peter that is a lovely thing to say :)
I know what it feels like to struggle with problems at work so can really relate to you. :hugs::hugs:

NE21 worrier
27-05-14, 18:51
OK so I was back in at work today after taking Friday off. I was still very tense this morning so I was unsure if I should be going back but I did ok when I got there as I didn't have to do overpayment calls. I have been advised, however, that this is not necessarily a long-term arrangement but I don't know what I'll do if I have to take those calls again as I can only see them sending me right back over the edge and back on the Valium :sad:

To be honest, I think I would probably have to quit.

Also, another concern is that this has been classed as a sickness absence because there was no leave - and, as it is within a 12-month period of two other absences (include my stress-related absence last yr), I may be put back on a Stage One (formal conduct/discipline procedure).

I have been advised that this may affect my reference for the new job which I am *STILL* waiting to hear from. So I'm back at work but I don't necessarily want to be - and things might just get screwed up... :sad: :weep: :sad:

Annie0904
27-05-14, 18:59
You only had one day off so hopefully it won't affect it too much, hopefully they will overlook it. :hugs: Try not to worry about it...what will be will be and sometimes things just happen for a reason :)

NE21 worrier
27-05-14, 19:19
Yes, it's very much the attitude I am trying to convince myself to take - "things happen for a reason". It's to the point that, even if the reference does affect my chances of the new job, perhaps I just was never meant to do it. After all, I had the interview in January, got recommended for appointment in March and we're nearly in June and I've still not heard anything so this new department doesn't seem very organised either...

Perhaps neither job is the answer and, if I have to do overpayments again, I shall jolly well just to have find something else anyway. I know that's a form of avoidance but I'm just not cut out to do it. I need to back myself whatever happens and know that it is not the end of the world...

Annie0904
27-05-14, 19:40
I don't see it as avoidance at all Peter. You spend most of your life at work so it is no good being in a job that you are not happy in.

NE21 worrier
27-05-14, 19:55
Oh yes. I'm just a bit sad at how it's worked out. I actually really used to like the job but so much has changed that I can't ever see me getting that feeling about it back. I know from talking to colleagues that I'm not the only one like this. I see so many people just wandering around like zombies in there that it's a bit frightening in itself!

I'm also just frustrated with it and with myself. I want to move on but I won't allow myself to do so until I have something else. I might have to change my mind even on this if I go back on overpayments. Sadly, my mind just will not settle tonight at all - after some good progress this weekend...

Annie0904
27-05-14, 20:17
I think that shows how badly work is affecting you. Your health is more important than anything. Have a look around and see if there are any other jobs going that you would be better suited to. :hugs:

NE21 worrier
27-05-14, 23:14
I'm feeling really ropey tonight - I've managed to have something to eat but I'm feeling drained and yet tearful and I've also had a couple of bouts of diarrhea. I get the feeling that, as I got back to work today, everyone thinks I'm ok - but the truth, deep down, is I'm really not.

I'm not panicking in terms of a panic attack but I feel constantly tense again and just generally miserable with my lot. Nicht gut :sad:

---------- Post added at 23:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:41 ----------

Just had a big rant about the work situation again to my understanding mother... the fact that I might be put back on overpayment calls is petrifying me. I'm crawling the walls again mentally and I think I'm going to need some diazepam again to settle me down even though I feel totally exhausted.

This isn't how I want to live my life. Trundling from one crisis point to the next. I think I'm going to have to face up to the fact that I need to quit, aren't I? :sad:

Annie0904
28-05-14, 09:01
Yes you are! I had to make that same decision last year and it was not easy to do but I was so much more relaxed after I made the decision. (apart from this blip but that is probs down to my operation last week).

NE21 worrier
03-06-14, 20:02
OK, so I didn't quit and things got a bit better for a few days with the reasonable adjustment - this is due to 'expire' from the start of next week as taking overpayment calls is seen as part of my duties.

And things are still not, well... quite right. For a start, today, I received an invitation to a formal meeting which could result in me going on a Stage 2 (one stage off the sack) for a poor attendance record. This is because my latest one-day absence falls within 12 months of the back end of a two-month absence last year between April and June. In the meantime, I had two days off in December for a sinus problem.

This meeting was not entirely unexpected but it is still a blow, I guess, as it has made me care even less about carrying on in the job. The meeting is next Wednesday afternoon and I can/will have union representation. However, I am still tempted to preempt the meeting by handing in my notice. As anyone who has followed my situation knows, I have been close to this before on several occasions as, overall, I find the job damaging to mental health.

I am worried, though, that if I decide to resign and work my notice period of four weeks, they will decide to put me on a Stage 2 from next week anyway and this will affect my future opportunities. I have been recommended for appointment at another job but it is a move between government departments and I think my reference will be affected and that I may not ultimately be appointed as I have not yet received a start date and security/reference checks are taking a long, long time...

Basically, I don't know what to do. Or perhaps rather I think I know what I need to do (i.e. resign!:)) but I'm not sure I've got the bottle to do this as I'm worried how it will be perceived later down the line...

Sorry I seem no further forward. As you can imagine, though, this is a tough decision for me so I'm taking a lot of thought over it.

Annie0904
03-06-14, 20:32
I would ask your union representative for advise. You could maybe discuss a compromise agreement. Which basically means they give you a sum of money to leave and a good reference. If you have had anxiety on your sick notes this may be a good option for them as with any Mental health problems they have a duty of care under the 2010 Equalities act. I can't remember how long you said you have worked there though. If you just decide to hand your notice in then they can't take you to stage 2. My daughter was about to be sacked from work (her first job after 6th form in a job she didn't want to do). She had a meeting with the Manager and she handed her notice in to prevent them from sacking her.

NE21 worrier
03-06-14, 20:40
Hi Annie,

Thanks for replying. Just to clarify a couple of things - I have a good friend at the union so I am likely to ask him to represent me... in fact, I should send a text message to him tonight explaining the whole thing as he doesn't really know I've been struggling again. More fool me on that one!

Also, I have worked in the employment for two years and two months, and in that role for 21 months. My most recent absence (just one day) was self-certified as, although I went to the docs for some diazepam, I didn't get a sicknote.

At this stage, I'm thinking there are three options:
(1) Carry on how things are, attending the meeting, accepting whatever is decided (with the help of the union) and muddling through
(2) Explaining my intention to resign to my manager tomorrow on the basis that I don't feel that I can meet the new requirements of my role if this does mean that I have to do OP calls
(3) Actually just taking a notice letter in and resigning

At the moment, my mind is flicking between (2) and (3). (1) would be great but I think I am well beyond doing something like that...

Annie0904
03-06-14, 20:45
If they would accept a compromise agreement it would be better for you as they would have to give you a positive reference too. Failing that, handing in your notice would be the next choice. Maybe your union rep could still persuade them to give you a good reference.

NE21 worrier
03-06-14, 20:52
I know it's my choice ultimately, Annie - but what are your thoughts on this plan:
(1) Obviously tell my union rep about the meeting but also about my instinct to resign
(2) Also tell my manager that I have given resignation serious thought in a pre-meeting meeting tomorrow to hear her view on this... even this would take some courage(!)

Also, if I just add, I don't see my treatment as particularly spiteful on the part of the employer. They're just following guidance in terms of stage ones, stage twos etc. My instinct is to get out while my nose is still clean enough...

Annie0904
03-06-14, 21:04
I would speak to your Union rep first to see what he advises. I got my Union rep to deal with it all for me and he did a really good job for me. If you just want it over with quickly though then resignation will be the best option and yes you could let them know of your intentions. If a compromise agreement is an option that would be the best for you as they would pay you a sum of money to leave.

NE21 worrier
03-06-14, 21:13
I don't really know how compromise agreements work (are they individual to each other?) but I'm not sure I would get any money as my contract is due to end in September whereupon I would be due two-month compensation (one for each full year in the job) for losing my job.

In any case, the money is not important here. I live with the parents, I have savings, I won't be going to the poor house anytime soon as conceited as that sounds...

Maybe a quick end would be the best thing for all concerned. I'm just trying to convince myself to make what would still be quite a brave decision - even when all logic suggests that it is!

Annie0904
03-06-14, 21:31
I left on a compromise agreement but I had worked there 15 years. It is a mutual agreement to leave. I think since most of your anxiety stems from work then the best way for to recover is to leave. Whilst looking for another job you could always do some voluntary work to keep you busy. I do think in your case that you need to leave and it seems like you are in an ideal position to do this with your parents support.

NE21 worrier
03-06-14, 21:41
Oh yes... that is why I was so looking forward to this other job that I am/was meant to be getting. It's afternoon work, slightly fewer hours, gives me the morning to go as I please - volunteer, study, exercise... basically live life by my own choosing rather than dragging myself up the A1 everyday.

Actually, on the new job, I have a friend who works there who is going to see if she can get a contact for me so that I can find out directly what is actually happening.

In the meantime, I have decided not to type out any resignation letter immediately tonight - but instead will meet my friend for the union over lunch tomorrow. Should be interesting and fun - I've not seen him for a while but he is always very good to me. He's not linked to the friends that I go on holiday with but I feel the same to him as them. I'm very blessed to have such people.

Anyway, I've bumped this thread so much tonight, I might just leave it for now actually feeling quite positive - certainly not on the verge of panic. I'm trying to think very logically about my options hence the (1),(2),(3) lists :D

Basically, Things aren't where they should be right now but I know this is not permanent and it will get sorted out one way or another. And, completely OT, I've had quite a relaxing night just watching England lose in the cricket and reading about the World Cup... ho'way the Three Lions! :footy:

Annie0904
03-06-14, 22:06
I think you have made the right decision to meet your union friend first. I will be in Malta next week so hoping to get the football on tv there :) night night, sleep well :)

NE21 worrier
04-06-14, 06:48
Oh dear... I've woken up early in a bit of a panic. My throat is tight and it is taking all of my willpower not to gag, I'm soaked in sweat and my mind is still racing over what to do about work.

I can't put up with this. I *NEED* to quit for the good of my health regardless of what my friend at the union says - but I'm scared to do this too.

:sad::weep::sad:

Humly
04-06-14, 07:39
Hi. Just had a quick read of your post and it sounds as if your job is really making you ill. A really good friend of mine went through a similar situation in that he was under so much pressure at work he just cracked and ended up having a breakdown and was off work for 4 months. I must admit his work were very good to him and he was able to change jobs to something a bit less demanding but I also think they were very wary because stress in the workplace is a very serious matter these days and they were probably scared of being sued as work was the cause of his problems. I just think that your health is more important than the job and if you decide you want to leave then it might be for the best. Many people are very unhappy at work and in the end if its making you ill its not worth it. I hope you manage to sort things out whatever you decide and good luck x

NE21 worrier
04-06-14, 07:48
Thanks for reading and contributing.

I've typed up a resignation letter (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=155285) and arranged a meeting with my union rep friend but this is the closest I've got to resigning and I'm not sure I will back out as my reasoning is pretty clear: basically, what you state yourself - that my health is more important than my job and the latter is currently affecting the former.

I'm off to work now so I'll update this thread (or my other one about my resignation letter) when I get back........

NE21 worrier
04-06-14, 13:22
Well, so far - no one from the union has got back to me, and my friend is not in.

And I've not handed my notice in. I'm bottling it again...

Annie0904
04-06-14, 13:30
I would contact the Union again and tell them it is quite urgent.

NE21 worrier
11-06-14, 18:36
BUMP An update on this...

In the end, I didn't quit - after speaking to my friend at the Union, I decided to stay on and I've actually done ok. Had my stage 2 meeting today where I was well represented by the Union who pointed out I had only had three days off from two periods in the last 12 months (since the long-term absence which has now fallen off as it is more than a year ago).

It's still not my ideal job, though - and so I was thankful to hear the other job which I applied for finally get in touch, offering me a start date of 20-June. The problem is that my standard notice period is 4 weeks and the date I've been given is just over a week away!

As my current job is only temporary til September and this new opportunity is permanent, do you think there is a possibility the current employer may adjust the notice period? Btw, they are inter-related in that they are both govt departments (although entirely separate govt departments).

Thanks,
Peter

Annie0904
11-06-14, 19:43
I would ask them if they can do this and hopefully they will especially as it is inter related. Things seem to be looking up for you now and I hope that you will be happy in the new job :)

NE21 worrier
11-06-14, 19:56
Aye, I'm really hoping so, Annie - although I'm worried they will think my request to cut my note so short will be unreasonable.

It'll be a right kick in the knackers if it is blocked, though. I think I really need this change of scene - get out of the contact centre environment which is not to my favour and more time to develop myself (shorter hours). I must learn to use the time during the day, however (i.e. volunteer, study, exercise), as I have had afternoon/evening shifts before and spent too much time doing too little...

How's your holiday going by the way?

Peter x

Annie0904
11-06-14, 20:31
If they won't let you leave at short notice maybe the other place will give you a later starting date.
I am really enjoying my holiday, can't believe how relaxed I feel :)

NE21 worrier
13-06-14, 19:12
:DFANTASTIC UPDATE!:D

Well, I've done it! My employer, recognising the short-termness of my current contract, has agreed to let me go - subject to me working until next Thursday - and I start my new, hopefully less stressful, job on Friday.

Can't wait. Now enjoying the World Cup with a beer and life doesn't seem so bad again :)

*And breathe*

Annie0904
13-06-14, 19:35
Aww Peter that is great news :yahoo:

aprilmoon
13-06-14, 19:37
Congratulations Peter :yahoo:

NE21 worrier
13-06-14, 19:58
Thanks Annie and April. Much appreciated.

I'm quite proud of myself - so many times in this current job I have been on the verge of quitting, and perhaps I should have, and saved me a certain amount of distress. I've not read back through this thread but I just know it has been a bit of an ordeal, and was well before I began this thread too.

Ideally, though, I've always wanted to go out on my terms after lining something else up. I'm just so pleased it has finally happened.

Thanks to NMP (especially Annie) for your support,
Peter :)

Annie0904
13-06-14, 20:44
I really hope that this is the beginning of the end to your anxiety Peter, reading through your threads, work has been the main cause of your anxiety and I am sure this new job will be much less stressful for you. I am so pleased for you that it has worked out the way it has. :D