PDA

View Full Version : Back at doctors yesterday - medication

Dan21
10-05-14, 18:47
Yet again, I ended up at the GP yesterday, pleading for him to refer me back to the CBT team...which he thankfully agreed to do. My partner came to the GP with me this time to explain just how debilitating my HA is becoming; my partner is a constant rock and God only knows what I'd have done without her over the last few years.

Anyway, one thing I wasn't expecting was to come away from the surgery having been put on Citralopram for three months. I'm not at all sure how I feel about this as it makes me feel like I've failed to deal with things properly, plus I'm somewhat nervous about taking medication as I've never had to do so for such a prolonged period of time before.

Feel completely wiped out today, zero energy and a bit spaced. Poss due to the fact that again, I asked the doctor whether he though the symptoms I have signalled something seriously physically wrong to which he (and my partner) said not. Maybe the reassurance has made me relax a bit and that's why I feel so drained today. Maybe it's the medication. The continuing saga of health anxiety goes on...

jillyb
10-05-14, 19:07
Hi Dan, hope you're feeling ok. I've been on cit for 3 months now. I started with 10mg then upped to 20mg. The side effects have been manageable but the GP gave me diazepam at the beginning too. I am very phobic of meds but knew I had to do something with this hideous HA. Read the citalopram survival guide on here, it's really good. Good luck and I hope they work for you. My mood has improved but still fretting about my stomach issues. It's not a cure all and we have to put hard work in too. I'm starting more cbt soon so hopefully this will help. X

I've posted a post under links that I watched on YouTube about how to turn anxiety into calm. It's a lecture for some uni students but I found it very informative about how our bodies react and why.

Dan21
10-05-14, 19:33
Hi Jilly,

Thanks for your post - I'm glad that your mood is improving. Yep, the side-effects, whichever way they manifest themselves, are something I'm a bit concerned about so I figure I'll have to keep a watchful eye on that.

Me too, I'm on 10mg a day and have been told the doctor will up the dose to 20mg soon. It's a very new experience for me and one I hope will help me get a handle on what's becoming a serious problem in terms of the HA.

Hope the cbt goes well when you get there :)