PDA

View Full Version : sinus/allergies

violet33
11-05-14, 03:02
Ive posted recently about sinus issues. I recently had sinus infection with lowgrade fever. Took antibiotics which cleared that up. OK well following this I had post nasal drip into throat which i usually need to cough up because its annoying. Now 99.9 percent of what I cough up is clear BUT at times imsee a tiny bit of green. Now usually green is infection but my dr had told me thats not always true. Allergies without infection can cause green. But with my anxiety I freak fearimg bronchiyis developing into pneumonia. Now rhis isnt bronchitis because bronchial tubes & lungs are clear & whst im coughing is whats dripping down from post nasal drip. I just get SO FEARFUL its horrible! Has anyone heard of allergies causing green color? Thamk You! Freaking myself out here! With this anxiety its ALWAYS something.horrible to live in fear!

Serenity1990
11-05-14, 10:29
What allergies such as hay fever are is an inappropriate immune response to something harmless. As you're no doubt aware, the colour in your phlegm is white blood cells, which is how your body responds to perceived foreign threats. As such an inappropriate immune response such as hay fever will cause your phlegm to take on that colour.

This is why anti-histamines can be used to treat such allergies: they prevent the formation of certain white blood cells thus suppressing the inappropriate immune response.

Bronchitis or pneumonia would have been the most obvious thing in the world to a doctor listening to your chest.

Tanner40
11-05-14, 12:54
Violet, keep in mind that your doctor said that the green color was not always indicative of an infection, and could be caused by allergies. One of the most helpful things that we can do for ourselves is to learn to trust our physicians. Hope you're feeling better soon.