PDA

View Full Version : Not coping

Lucyk
11-05-14, 14:10
Hello everyone!
I'm going to try and make a very long story short :)
I have suffered with depression and gad for 15 years or so now. I was much better and able to cope though up until 9 months ago I started getting boils on the inside of my legs I visited doctors over and over for antibiotics until one doctor offered me a blood test. I took it and it has come back that my b12 is extremely low so I am to start b12 injections which is fine but she is worried as to why I have b12 deficiancy and wants me to take a hiv test now I have been with my husband for 7 years (I'm 25 incase anyone wants to know) I wasn't terribly stupid with previous partners and never questioned or wondered about hiv in the past (naive I know) but now im questioning everything! I have diagnosed myself with hiv even thought I don't take the test until Monday. I'm sitting in a state of depression thinkin and feeling as I my life is over. I am not coping very well at all and I don't know what to do. Just need someone to talk to. :( thank you lucy xx

SADnomore
11-05-14, 17:19
Hi, Lucy! :welcome:
It has occurred to me that a blood test thorough enough to check for B12 was likely automatically run for HIV too. I suppose it may take a few days for that result to come through, is that what you meant by you'll find out "Monday"? Or you'll be taking a separate test on Monday. Please listen as the doctor reassures you then. It sounds extremely unlikely that you would have HIV, hunni, and I hope you will forget all about it soon. As for the B12, you may not be getting enough dietary-wise. I did the shots for a bit (I don't eat red meat), and then my doctor said to just eat more fish and eggs so I have been ;)
Best of luck, nice to have you aboard!
Marie

Oosh
11-05-14, 17:33
Are you vegan ? Vegans suffer from b12 deficiency.

Lucyk
11-05-14, 18:38
Hi :)
Thank you both for taking the time to reply :)

I have my first b12 injection tomorrow and a blood test for hiv.
I had a full blood count done about 2 weeks ago everything was fine apart from the b12 so had more bloods taken specifically for b12 last Thursday. Then the doc phoned me Friday and said it was quite low and because it's something to do with immunity she would like me to have a hiv test. She said it was also for my anxiety she wanted me to know they were checking for everything to put my mind at rest but it's only done the opposite. In reality I know it's highly unlikely I have hiv but I can't help but let my mind run riot.

And I'm not a vegan or vegetarian :)

Lucy xx

SADnomore
12-05-14, 03:33
Aw, your doc sounds very supportive! Good luck Lucy, and hope you get to the bottom of the B12 deficiency, although of course the shots will help :) xx
Marie

UKmamainUS
12-05-14, 23:41
Many things cause B12 deficiency - have you been tested for celiac?

Lucyk
13-05-14, 14:24
Hello everyone!
Just thought I would say I got all my blood results today and everything was fine an I don't have hiv which is such a relief! The doc think it's hereditary but sometimes you never know why.
Ukmamainus I have had about 20 different tests done of which I'm not sure exactly but something I will ask the doctor when I go back in a couple of weeks :) thank you xx

And thankyou everyone for your comments :) xx

SADnomore
13-05-14, 22:48
Awesome, Lucy! Good to hear you are feeling relieved and now very soon will have more reassurance to come, no doubt :D
Marie

---------- Post added at 15:48 ---------- Previous post was at 15:43 ----------

ps Bravo you for hanging in there, and for keeping the faith with your doctor. xx

applecore
25-07-14, 14:24
Are you vegan ? Vegans suffer from b12 deficiency.

A vegan diet, like any other, is as healthy or unhealthy, balanced or unbalanced, as the person eating it chooses to make it. It is therefore not inevitable that all vegans will have a b12 deficiency. Yes, you have to be careful, and some people take supplements if they feel concerned, but there are many advantages (not only for animals!) to eating a clean, plant-based diet.

I take a Vit B supplement, just in case.