PDA

View Full Version : LOST

Descartes
08-12-06, 07:13
My name is Carl

Im new to this site and relatively new to anxiety.

2 years ago i broke my leg in a work accident and was in hospital for 2 months and off work for another 14 weeks.

When I got out of hospital I was more or less housebound because of my leg.

I started going out again but suddenly started feeling very nervous all the time. It got to a point that I dare not leave my house. It wasnt until last year that I went to see my doctor who told me I was suffering from anxiety?????

I have been on medication for it and was feeling so much better. Until last August. It seems my life has just turned upside down.

I think it was all due to me working away from home so much more and with total stress at work. This put a strain on my relationship and we decided to split up in August.

Since then I have found myself drinking more and more.

Again, ,my doctor prescribed some medication.

I started having severe anxiety attacks. As such, I have been unable to go on site with my job. I was a project manager for an engineering company.

Last month, I was advised by my doctor and work to take 3 months off.

I am now under an assessment of a psychiatrist.

This has made me feel so low to such an extent that I feel truly lost and alone. I live on my own and seem to be just drinking all the time.

The phyciatrist said it is just a phase and I should come out of it. He claims I am also suffering from mild depression.

Someone suggested this site and I was wondering: How long will I feel like this? Will I have this awful feeling of being nervous for the rest of my life?

I hate the thought of doctors and psychiatrists. I have always been an independant person. But now i feel so weak!

I even feel silly writing this.

elanna
08-12-06, 08:01
hey there, welcome to the site.

in my opinion the only person who can stop the anxiety is you. so how long you suffer from it will depend on you. first things first, alcohol and medication don't mix, i would advise stopping drinking straight away. you need to get out and do somehting to relax you whether its going for a jog, a massage or joining a yoga class...someother way of getting your stress and anxiety out without having an attack.

i had severe attacks(about 3 a day) for 5 years... i finished with my partner at the time and said enough is enough, i'm not going to feel like this for the rest of my life. i went and had one session of hypnosis and they stopped for 8 years. onlky recently started feeling anxious and have already made an apppointment for hypnosis for later on today!

you've taken a big step just coming here and posting.read as much as you can about the panic attacks so that you know the processes that you body is going through when you have one. it helps me.

you don't mention friends and family in your post. if they don't know what's going on, i would advise to pick one person you get on well with and trust and tell them whats going on. you will need someone to call when ur feeling panicky or low. it really does help and will often bring you down from a panic attack before it gets into full swing.

yorkylover
08-12-06, 10:01
Hi Carl,welcome to no panic.There is alot of support here for you and we all fully understand how you are feeling.Please dont feel alone,there is always someone here.
Drinking is a bad move,it makes you more anxious,more depressed.Yes it makes you feel good first,but as soon as you stop the problems begin.
Dont worry about the psychiatrist,its only someone to off load to.
You are not a weak person,just going through a bad patch,and it does get better.;)
take care
luv

Ellen XX

bluesparkle
08-12-06, 10:58
hi carl...
firstly dont ever feel silly about writing anything here the people are great and will listen and help all they can
i am now recovering although it is a slow prosess but i have tried to struggle on for many years but recently got help from doctor and also some other members of the mental health team(god a few months ago i would never have addmitted that or written it)
i agree with ellen if you are posting here and getting help then you are not a weak person in fact i believe we are all strong people as this panic/anxiety stuff is alot to cope with.
it will get better honest.
and yes i know its easy for me to say but try not to use the drink to help...
come here and post or use the chat room
take care
rach

manmoor
08-12-06, 11:04
Hi Carl,

A big warm welcome to you.

Take Care

Mandyxx

Ma Larkin
08-12-06, 11:06
Hi Carl, welcome to NMP. My anxiety and panic hit an all time high when my relationship ended. It was pretty bad, but I'm back to near normal now depression wise. I don't think I could give up drinking. I only drink lager, but I drink it every night, even if it's just one drink. I can't even say it makes me feel worse to be honest, although probably 99% of people will say it does.

I'm a single mum with 3 children aged 18, 9 and 6. My 18 year old is out most of the time, so I'm left with the two little ones and sometimes it could be weeks before I get any adult conversation at night! I work full-time and have my colleagues, but it's not the same as having someone to talk to who you can trust. That's why I love coming on this site. It is so reassuring and there are son many people in the same boat.

You'll get some really good avice and there are loads of different topics that you can look at. So, never feel weak or silly Carl. Take one step at a time and you will get there.

Try and have a stressful weekend and keep us posted on the Psychiatrist.

Les, xx

Descartes
08-12-06, 16:00
Thanks for all the posts.

What seems strange is that I was going to the gym 3 times a week. Playing rugby. Going out with my mates.

All the time though, I was getting more and more nervous and dare not say anything to anyone.

None of my mates have any idea why ive stopped playing rugby. Ive basically said I have an injury!!

I feel a little better today. Trying not to drink.

Thanks

honeybee3939
08-12-06, 17:25
Hi Carl

A BIG warm welcome, lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice while making new friends on the way.:D

First Steps:
First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

love

Andrea
xxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

clickaway
08-12-06, 21:56
Hi Carl and welcome!

I concur with a lot of what has been said already.

Decreasing the drink and expanding the exercises would be a good first move.

It's important that you get a social support system in place - you may find a buddy here on this site, but somehow you need to confide in *one* of your rugby mates. You may surprise yourself and find at least one of them has experience of panic attacks or depression. You may even find some mutual support, but definitely a bit of relief.

You can overcome depression and anxiety, but by accepting and sharing it you are more likely to make faster progress.

Its hard I know, but we all have to be barve here!

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

LickeyEndBlues
11-12-06, 00:28
Hi Carl,
Whilst I havent broken my leg I can relate to a lot of what you say. as I read through your initial post I found myself nodding...and no I wasn't dropping off!!

Like yourself I found I was drinking more and cutting myself away from old friends and interests. I also played rugby, but the body was aching still on a Thursday so I let it go. I now go to watch games on a regular basis and have developed a good friendship circle within that.

There is no specific length of time within this illness as it is dependant on so many factors.....not much help that I guess!! Feeling weak is natural but would you feel the same if it were another sort of debilitating illness. Meds and therapy will help you pull through this.

There are plenty folks as you can see on here who will relate to what you say, I find that empathy is a pretty powerful supportive tol.

Take care

Iain

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

trac67
11-12-06, 00:58
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'