PDA

View Full Version : Can you mix the two

I'mdave27
12-05-14, 13:37
Is it possible to take sleeping pills while on 150mg sertraline ? Obviously not the herbal ones but i just need it for a night or 2 to get back into a routine

bernie1977
12-05-14, 13:41
When I was on ssri's citalopram and venlafaxine I was prescribed sleeping pills, zolpidem/stilnoct. If in doubt ring a pharmacist

I'mdave27
12-05-14, 13:42
I did ask pharmacist before she said it will make it worse. Can't win

bernie1977
12-05-14, 13:45
She said it would make the insomnia worse? Insomnia was one of the problems I always had when taking SSRI's. Is this a long term problem for you or do you think it could be the sertraline?

I'mdave27
12-05-14, 13:46
No it would make anxiety and depression worse. I don't see how though

bernie1977
12-05-14, 13:48
No I'm not understanding that either as lack of sleep makes my anxiety and depression worse.

SADnomore
12-05-14, 15:27
Actually, sleeping meds can indeed make at least depression worse. Mine says so right on the leaflet. Now my doc and I are in discussions about me coming off them again. It's zopiclone, (very much like zolpidem). Melatonin is fine though. Might hit you a bit harder. Try the lower strengths and see what works for you! Exactly what you want for resetting sleep schedules. Take it just before your preferred bedtime. Look for the sublingual, it's the best form.

SarahH
12-05-14, 16:50
I take Citalopram and Zopiclone and have done for years.... (too many I know but my Dr feels that if I don't sleep I can't function and she is right)

sarah

SADnomore
12-05-14, 17:21
Agreed, Sarah. But since the poster just wants something for a few days, I figure melatonin is worth a try! I wish I only had occasional insomnia. For me it's chronic :wacko: Zopiclone is the least of the evils, yes. Not a benzo, so not technically addictive, really. Still, my gp keeps muttering at me to try to go a few nights without (I have, and I sleep fitfully to say the least). They have found that it does create dependency, though not usually tolerance. Which is good, I find I never need more than one pill. ... So yeah, dave27 it beats taking a benzo if you must have a prescription sleep aid (I'd still try the melatonin first, no dependency there as it poops out at 2 weeks, lol!). Zopiclone is available in 3.75 which may well be enough. Do expect rebound insomnia though if you take it for more than a week and try to stop. This is where the dependency starts. Up to you. My doctor is getting right cranky about it, and lectures me every refill :weep: Lol!

Good luck!
Marie