PDA

View Full Version : Diarrhoea after stopping omeprazole

julieG
12-05-14, 14:44
Hi folks. I've been on 20/40mg omeprazole for the last six months and stopped taking them 4 days ago. I've had diarrhoea for the last 3 days and also a bit of nausea (anxiety related nausea is the reason I was taking them). Do these sound like common side effects? Thanks in advance. X

nomorepanic
12-05-14, 14:52
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

julieG
14-05-14, 09:55
Apologies - I automatically go for health anxiety! Thank you x

bernie1977
14-05-14, 11:21
Did you stop taking them suddenly or did you taper off them? Omeprazole greatly reduces the amount of acid that your stomach produces so when stopping then suddenly you can get what is called rebound acid. When on omeprazole your stomach is only used to a small amount of acid so when you stop them without tapering normal acid production begins and you can also get extra acid due to suddenly stopping omeprazole. All this extra acid can cause a lot of gastric issues. It will pass in time