PDA

View Full Version : Newby Neck Lump

Maddawg7
12-05-14, 20:32
Hi all!

I am a newcomer on this website and have to admit I am a sufferer of health anxiety. I had been on a medication for 10 years and came off of it last year and suffered major withdrawal symptoms (HUGE fears of dying, panic attacks, constant anxiety) from it and put me in a downward spiral. Thankfully, I have been able to get past it, but still have health anxiety. I know that I drive my husband nuts as he always looks at me and says "you are fine", but in this case I am struggling a little more than normal.

I had actually gone to my family doctor 2 weeks ago because my husband and I moved and needed a yearly check-up. I had him check a few lumps on my neck to just be cautious. I've had a lump on the back of my neck for about ten years that hasn't changed and it's mobile. He thought it was a calcified lymph node. It only measured .5 cm and said nothing to worry about. Another lump was about a pea size right beside my trachea. He said again, nothing to worry about because it is a fluid filled cyst in between the muscles in my neck. Finally, I asked him to feel a lymph node on the right side of my neck underneath my jaw, again he said it feels completely normal. I walked out of there feeling on top of the world.

However, this past weekend I was rubbing my next and felt a lump on the lower right back side of my neck, kind of where my neck and shoulder meet. I was just like, don't freak out, you are fine. Well I did some investigation and its a lump about the size of a marble, does not move, and does not hurt. It is only on my right side. I of course looked stuff up on the internet and see that lumps or lymph nodes that are deep and immobile with no signs of illness have a better chance of being dangerous.

I would not say I am freaking out, but it is constantly on my mind. Like I said, it doesn't hurt and I have not been sick for months. No other lumps, but I'm still paranoid of the worst case scenario. I don't know if I should just call my Dr.'s nurse and explain where it is and what I feel or make an appointment or not even worry about it. Like I said my mind likes to run away from me so any reassurance would be awesome, as my family usually dismisses me now.

Thanks so much guys! I appreciate it!

Emma2711
14-05-14, 09:39
I have been going through this recently and the lymph node is still swollen in my neck,my dr said this might be normal for me as I have one on my jaw that's been swollen for about 20 years!

Ask the dr to run some bloods

Cretinetta
14-05-14, 09:49
Hi Emma! I have tons of lymph nodes all over my body. They got swollen after mono and toxoplasmosis years ago. The biggest one is on my neck. It is almost 3 cm. My radiologist told me not to worry. As they are "good" lymph nodes. Had them for years. Try not to worry, we all have them. If you are still worried get an ultrasound with good radiologist. They are able to confirm the nature of those lymph nodes. Also I have some of those lymph nodes that won't move and feel quite hard. Get an ultrasound, it will get your mind at ease. I'm sure that there is nothing serious.

Jolly12
14-05-14, 14:26
Hey guys,

I understand how you feel. I found a lump where my collarbone and shoulder blade meet. Its rubbery and mobile. Its been there about 7 months, I have had an ultrasound and a fine needle biospy and so far its fine. Even though I have this information at my disposal, if I google it, I will undoubtedly find something to be fearful over. It is a challenge every day not to look something up, but try.

My husband sounds like yours, he says, "I feel like if you want something to be wrong with you, there will be." Obviously none of us wants something to be wrong with us, but I understand what he is saying, we will chase every ache, pain, lump or bump until we find something. Its almost as if we want someone to find something so we can say, "I knew it!" I will tell you though, when I stopped messing and poking around and worrying, the symptoms went away as well. You know those stories about people who had positive outlooks and their attitude helped them to "beat the odds?" I believe that goes both ways, keep your head up, try not to dwell and try to stay positive.
If you have seen a doctor, then STOP worrying. I promise, they will tell you if you need more tests, more tests and more appointments = more money. Also, if you are worried about it, give yourself peace of mind by going back. Is it better to be informed or uninformed? I struggle with these same thoughts, but I don't have a medical degree and I can't self diagnose based off of what I find on the internet and neither can you. Its hard, but just try to relax. There is uncertainty in life, there always will be, we can't control that, but we can control how we react to it. Either we control our emotions or they will control us.

There is a link in one of the Self Help Anxiety threads on here with an excellent podcast from the BBC. It won't let me post url to this site yet, but I have it on my blog - AnxietySafeHaven dot Wordpress dotcom.