PDA

View Full Version : New pet anxiety

PamG
12-05-14, 22:02
Good evening all,

If you have read any of my other posts you will see I was diagnosed with GAD and depression exactly 1 year ago today. It has been a bit of a bumpy ride so far. What I have learned is the ssri's are not for me. I am not currently on any medication (except diazepam or lorazepam PRN). What I would like to ask you all is have any of you had an anxiety attack before singing on the dotted line for something new? It happened to me when I bought my new car, thankfully (but stupidly!!) I was able to get my money back and back out of the deal. Today, after my girls constant request and my husbands want also, we got a new car from a rescue centre. I love cats and have been brought up around them all my life. I brought our new cat home today and have been in a mild state of anxiety ever since. I even called my mum up in tears that I didn't want it in my house any more. I asked her to take it away (not that I would ever want any harm to come to any animal!!) but she said no. My hubby came home from work and loves our new addition. The girls came in from nursery and love the new addition. I can't get over my anxiety. What's wrong with me. I do want a cat, but can't seem to handle having one at the moment. Am I being silly?

Any stories or advice appreciated.

Pam xx

Annie0904
12-05-14, 22:14
No Pam you are not being silly at all, I was just the same when I got my youngest cat. I wanted him so badly but when I got him home I got so anxious that I asked my daughter to take him to her house. She took him for a week then brought him back to me. Now I just love him so much, he never leaves my side, follows me to every room I go in.
I am not sure if it is the sudden responsibility or what but others have posted before about this very same thing. You will get used to your new cat soon :)

Pipkin
12-05-14, 23:29
Pam,

The link below is about anxiety when getting a puppy - I think you'll see you're not on your own and that it does get better.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34189

Pip

PamG
13-05-14, 07:38
Thank you for the replies. I had a full panic attack last night then seemed to settle. The car slept all night and has only just got up. I see the delight in my daughters faces and I know I have to just hold on for a few more days till this hopefully passes. Thanks for the encouragement.

Pam x