PDA

View Full Version : House of Agoraphobics

Monkey Kingdom Television
08-12-06, 13:28
Following on from last year’s highly successful House of Obsessive Compulsives, House of Agoraphobics follows three long term suffers through an intensive and emotional journey with Professor Paul Salkovskis, Clinical Director of the Maudsley Hospital Centre for Anxiety Disorders and Trauma at London’s Institute of Psychiatry.

The team of therapists once again implement the unique, intensive 14-day experimental treatment plan pioneered last year, this time on three sufferers of Agoraphobia with Panic Disorder – a fear of being in situations where escaping would be difficult, including big open spaces busy outdoor locations, streets, traffic and transport which induces panic attacks.

All three will leave their homes for a fortnight and move in together to undergo intense exposure and response therapy in the hope of curing them of their debilitating conditions once and for all.

The Programme is due to be aired on Channel Four, 19th and 20th December 2006

NPS_Paul
09-12-06, 16:19
This sounds like an interesting program and an exciting approach to tackling long term Agoraphobia. I'll certainly be tuning in - as a recovered Agoraphobic. Thank you for tipping us off, when it will be on, love Paul.

Love to all members

sandie
15-12-06, 15:38
I've just seen the trailer to this programme - it actually quite upset me.

I think I'm tempted to record the programme rather than watch it outright. I can then choose to watch as much or as little as I feel able to in my own time.

Sandie

Piglet
16-12-06, 00:33
I want to watch this too.

Sandie what was it that upset you hun??

Love Piglet :)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

natty
16-12-06, 15:32
where did u see the trailer sandie ? id like to see it .

trac67
16-12-06, 18:29
Natty,

the trailers for the programme are on quite often on channel 4, just keep a look out.

I will definately be tuning in, and my kids have asked me if they can watch it with me to give them a better understanding of how I feel when I am out, maybe we will all learn something from watching it :D

Love

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

sandie
17-12-06, 16:01
Hi Piglet

I found it upsetting watching the participants in such distress. Maybe because I've been very low just lately, seeing them so unhappy just exacerbated by my own feelings of distress within my own situation. I don't feel I am an agorohobic. I'm not entirely happy going out in case I meet people I know and they start asking intrusive questions and I have to start explaining things. When I'm out I'm 'forced' into viewing the world as it is, not how I want it to be - as it was once for me but isn't now.

Its complicated, but I find it extremely difficult not to relate everything back to the one main factor causing my anxiety; I forced myself to put on some christmassy music this morning - listened to about 5 tracks and had to turn it off. It just reminded me of better times - times I don't think I am going to have again. Just typing this message is actually quite difficult.

Sandie

Piglet
17-12-06, 16:17
Sandie,

Thank you for trying to explain this to me ((((Sandie)))) I think I understand.

I am going to watch it if I can but I expect I will find it hard viewing at first. In some ways I sorta think it doesn't apply to me and that I am not like that but of course I am, if I can't get to the local shops on my own etc then I am!!!

We'll all mentally hold hands shall we and go for it!!! :D

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

clickaway
17-12-06, 16:31
Sandie,

I know sometimes just seeing something on TV can trigger off bad thoughts because of our irrational fears. I remember once going through a phase of not being able to watch a lot of sport because my anxiety symptoms made me so weak thinking I would keel over if I was participating. That phase is now over, yet the symptoms are the same and am still too scared to run for a train for example.

I expect the House of Agoraphobics programme to have a positive outcome, and therefore by watching it, it will demonstrate that you can have a positive outcome as well. We all can, however remote that possibility seems at the moment.

Sending you positive vibes!

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

EvaMay
02-02-07, 11:43
I know this was on quite a while ago now but I couldn't watch it at the time, it made me so anxious so I didn't get to find out how he got them to London when they couldn't go past the end of their roads. Could anyone point me in the direction of this information I'm so curious to see if I could use it for myself. Thanks.

nomorepanic
02-02-07, 12:33
Leah

The post about it is here ...

The TV show "The house of agoraphobics" (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15782)

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

laurenessex
13-02-07, 12:27
I saw most of this....I was in two minds about watching it but in a way felt i had to as I do suffer from agoraphobia with regard to travelling, the feeling of being trapped...in unfamilirar places...theatres, cinemas etc...it was hard watching people who were so much worse than me although kind of reassuring when u found things that you urself could do...a right mix of emotions.

Rain
19-02-07, 13:12
I have just watched a programme called ''Pull Yourself Together'' about panic disorder on Sky's Community Channel (which is listed under documentaries).
The programme interviews three sufferers of panic disorder and also interviews the expert Paul Salkovskis who featured in ''House of Agoraphobics''.
If anyone would like to see this programme it is being repeated today (19th February) at 5.30pm.

pink daisy
23-09-07, 12:50
I was in the running to go on this programme.. They kept on phoning me every couple of days this was over a year ago.. I was due to get married at the end of the filming.. they interviewed some of my family on the phone as well but at the end when thy said that i wasnt going on it i then found out they had already picked out the people which were going on and they were looking for a male.... so they basicly used me for another sorce of Research!! I was not impressed at all.....