PDA

View Full Version : How to differentiate OCD thoughts from REAL fears?

endless
08-12-06, 13:45
I read Brainlock and found the four-step method useful. However, I sometimes can't figure out whether my fear is real or just OCD. If it's just OCD, I can use the method to deal with it. But what if it's not? What if it's something I SHOULD worry about? I fear that I would mistake a real fear as OCD and cause terrible consequence. So my question is, how can you tell it is really OCD instead of legitimate worries?

strawberrie
08-12-06, 17:29
hi endless

i am trying to use the 4 step method for my health anxiety, and I think the thought 'but what if this time it actually is a real problem' is always there. I think deep down you know if something is a real problem or not. That's what i find with my health anxiety anyway - if i get a symptom i feel that if i look at it logically i know its nothing serious, but for some reason my health anxiety tells me to ignore logic and freak out about it.

Something else i read about is to think 'what would most people do' - it can be easier to think about how other people would react because it takes the emphasis away from your own feelings. You can't always stop something bad from happening, but if you do what you think most 'normal' people would do, then you can't really ask more of yourself than that.

i hope that helps a little bit [^]

mag

honeybee3939
08-12-06, 17:41
Hi

Heres a post that may help

Obsessive Compulsive Behaviour in Thoughts (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2282)

Love

Andrea
xxxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"