PDA

View Full Version : It's just a metaphor

I'mdave27
14-05-14, 09:28
The old religious 'hell' is just a metaphor designed to keep you in fear. Hell is in my head. I'm constantly thinking about things , deep things , that shouldn't really matter but I can't help myself. I will buy a book on mindfulness read it then I'll think it's not mindfulness I need I'm just addicted to thinking/making up situations so I'll buy a book for addiction but then I'll read that and think I'm not addicted to anything I just have self esteem issues , the cycle repeats. How can I stop this and why do I think so much ? I think I read spiritual books because I am trying to make some worth of this life. It's the constant thinking I hate about such deep things. I'm probably over reacting but I've guessed when someone is doing something wrong and what they've done. Please help me stop thinking

Pauli
14-05-14, 10:27
Hi Dave, i also suffer from niggling thoughts, my problem is being scarsd of thought about having a panic attack...abd then it happens. Vicious circle. Are you on any meds?

ankietyjoe
14-05-14, 10:27
Meditation is the answer. It just takes a long time to really work well.

Thinking is automatic, your response to it is where you have a choice.

I'mdave27
14-05-14, 11:32
Yes I'm on 150 mg sertraline. It helps but it's for depression and anxiety but sometimes I just can't quieten my mind. Meditation maybe the answer but like I said I find it hard to sit still and be quiet

ankietyjoe
14-05-14, 11:56
Meditation IS hard, but the rewards are worth it

I'mdave27
14-05-14, 12:02
I use my phone and Internet a lot. Maybe too much. Could that be effecting my concentration ?

ankietyjoe
14-05-14, 13:09
Definitely. I have read that using 'electronic communication devices' too much has an effect on short term memory and concentration. It promotes short fix reward areas of the brain.