PDA

View Full Version : fluoxetine for anxiety?

Pauli
14-05-14, 10:45
Hi guys, ive been taking fluoxetine for a long time for my panic attacks and anxiety. I was anxiety free for years, but recently it came back and downed on me like a ton of bricks. I thing this time is worse, but im not sure as its been so long since the last one. I have my dose upped from 20mg to 40 mg a day. That was 5 weeks ago, and im still no better...shouldnt the tablets be working by now? Is anyone else taking fluoxetine for anxiety? I would be so grateful for any thoughts.:unsure:

Electric_Worry
14-05-14, 11:16
I've been on 20mg for nearly four weeks and have yet to see much of an improvement. However, people say that it can take eight weeks or more before it starts to kick in, so I wouldn't give up hope just yet. You also have to consider that it simply might not work for you (or me) and so a different medication maybe required. I would wait a few more weeks first, but if you're unsure, have a word with your doctor.

If you haven't noticed, there is a sub-section of this forum about Fluoxetine/Prozac (http://nomorepanic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=51) that has a lot of posts about people's experiences with the medication. I've found it useful in reading about other people who have been through similar experiences.

Pauli
14-05-14, 13:02
Thank you for your tip, im new and still trying to work out this site :)

Rennie1989
14-05-14, 17:41
2-4 weeks is the guideline but sometimes medication can take up to 8 weeks for the positive effects to be felt. Have you changed or improved any aspects of your life to tackle this anxiety, like eating/sleeping better, hobbies etc?