PDA

View Full Version : An Interesting and Helpful Conversation

Jolly12
14-05-14, 15:39
I had a great conversation with my husband last night. God bless him, he listens to me on a daily basis worry over one ache and pain to another. God uses people in our lives to speak to us and he offers reassurance daily.

Here is some helpful (in my opinion) information that I got out of our conversation.

If I want something to be wrong with me, there will be. I will always find something. I'm only 29 but liken myself to an old car, if you go poking around in there long enough, you're bound to find something. There are a lot of phantom symptoms brought on by anxiety and stress. They become exacerbated by Google searches, self help/diagnosis posts and the media. You have to decide what you are putting your trust in.

Personally, I am a Christian and I know I can put my trust in God. A friend of mine is a prayer warrior and she says, "I tell people that I guarantee 100% healing to everyone I pray for. It just may not be in this life. We are healed in death." No one really wants to think about dying, that's why we're here right? But it is a fact of life and it will happen. My chances of getting in an automobile accident are much higher than my chances of contracting cancer or another life altering disease, but that's not what causes my anxiety. I focus on the negative. I recently got a biopsy and they told me only 2-3% come back malignant. I focuses on the 2-3% and not the 97% that it would come back fine.

You all know those stories about people who are given months to live and they "press on" and have a "great attitude" and they whip the disease? That is the power of the mind and it works both ways. It can help you or it can be your worst enemy. That doesn't always happen, but even science has shown through the placebo effect that if someone believes that what they are doing is working, their bodies will follow suit. How I react and how I spend my time and who I surrender control to is my choice. Only mine.

I can spend my days being irritable and anxious, second guessing my doctors, looking up symptoms on the internet, being afraid to visit the doctor and so forth and perhaps live a long life well into my nineties without problems, but what did I do with my time? Was it enjoyable? No, I don't enjoy freaking myself out, and I certainly don't want to live that way.

On the other hand, sure I could never worry and then be dealt a devastating blow, but my story is not the same as yours and vice versa. What worked for me may not work for you, and that is okay. Each situation is different and I am not a medical professional and I cannot diagnose myself or anyone else, but I can confidently say that this too shall pass. There is hope, but you have to endure and work for it. This post will only (possibly) grant you temporary relief. You have to find permanent relief yourself.

God's blessings on you.

http://anxietysafehaven.wordpress.com/

Fishmanpa
14-05-14, 15:48
I actually had 2 heart attacks and cancer. I have since developed a bit of "scanxiety" but it doesn't affect me to any real detriment that a little CBT exercise or chill pill alleviates.

I could have written that that same post myself... In fact, I probably have a dozen or more times on these boards in response to HA worries ;) I really liked what you said on another post about chasing a diagnosis. Is it just to say "I knew it!.. Dr. Google was right!"? ... so true...

Great attitude Jolly!

Positive thoughts

Jolly12
14-05-14, 15:57
T -

It definitely a struggle, but we fight it every day. My husband said to me to, "You do crossfit 4-5 times per week, you eat healthy and you run. That doesn't mean that you will never get sick, but it means you are healthy enough to do these things. If you were on the verge of killing over, you wouldn't want to do these things, let alone be able."

I have confidence in people I have never met and media stories but not in my own body which proves every day to be a fighter. God made our bodies to take care of themselves and to be temples. That doesn't mean that they never break down, but its about reprogramming our thinking and the tape that plays in our heads on repeat every day that is full of negativity. We as a group out a lot of time into the internet and speaking and researching things for ourselves, what if we made that into something positive? The possibilities are endless ;-)

Humly
14-05-14, 17:40
Jolly, I love your post. I wish I had someone who would sit down and talk to me like this. It would help so much but this post helps too. Thank you.

Jolly12
14-05-14, 18:46
Humly,

I am here to talk if you need it - you have someone! :)

Humly
15-05-14, 07:31
Thank you x

Deepthinker
15-05-14, 17:06
Great post, Jolly! Very encouraging! Blessings to you and yours! Debra:)