PDA

View Full Version : gastro referral - now going to be JUNE

Darren1
14-05-14, 16:34
So I had a gastro referral this friday and recieved a letter monday telling me that its cancelled because Ive been sent to the wrong consultant.

The hospital just called me to check I got the letter and explained they cant yet give me a date for the replacement appointment but she thinks it will be in June.

I wanted this to be OVER by end of May to enjoy my summer, now im looking like JULY

Another summer and all the bank holidays ruined

HoneyLove
14-05-14, 17:01
Darren, they're only ruined if you choose it to be that way. Have you begun working on your anxiety at all? There's a lot that you can do for yourself while you're waiting for this appointment.

yenool
17-05-14, 09:10
Darren, they're only ruined if you choose it to be that way. Have you begun working on your anxiety at all? There's a lot that you can do for yourself while you're waiting for this appointment.

^ This.

Have you tried something like mindfulness meditation? Are you getting any CBT, other therapy or medication for your anxiety?

I did CBT in the past and found it helpful, in more recent years I have been quite critical of CBT in general..... but I have to admit that having started to pick it up again lately I have found it helpful.

I can say it does help me get my thoughts in perspective a little bit. It is amazing how distorted and overly negative thinking can become in some situations.

Looking at CBT Negative Automatic Thoughts (NATS) and Cognitive Distortions might be useful in this situation. - There are loads of self help CBT stuff online.

Just because the appointment has been pushed back until June does not mean your summer has to be ruined. The summer is yet to arrive and you can still make plans, go out and do the things you want to do OR you can sit around worrying about the appointment. It is not easy but the choice really is yours.

I think the fact that they are not rushing through the appointment is just further evidence that nothing life threatening is wrong. Just like nothing serious was wrong before with your neck, glands, etc.