PDA

View Full Version : Keep getting new symptoms... anyone else??

Fizzy Warrior
14-05-14, 16:43
Hi.

My symptoms keep changing and I keep getting new ones. Sometimes some of the old symptoms go away when a new one comes along, but other times they stay, along with the new ones... am I making any sense?? :wacko:

Initially, I thought I was having a heart attack or some sort of heart problems, because I kept getting pains in my chest, arms and shoulders but my doctor assured me my heart was fine. At first I didn't really believe him and kept going back to him time and time again, until he finally managed to convince me that my chest pains were caused by my umbilical hernia (which I already knew I had) - this gives me almost-constant IBS-type symptoms and sometimes causes pains in my chest, and he also said the shoulder pain is not related to the chest pains but are caused by a long-term rotator cuff injury. So finally I believed him and am satisfied that I do not have cardiac problems. And almost as soon as this happened, I stopped getting chest pains and the shoulder & arm pains, although still there, are much improved. - This leads me to believe that they were largely caused by anxiety. But then I started to convince myself that I have throat or tongue cancer, because I got a funny feeling in my throat, like a tickly cough feeling, but only on one side of my throat, and I have also had sort of burning tongue sensations for about a week now. I haven't gone to the doctor about these things yet as I do think they are probably caused by anxiety. Maybe all of my symptoms are caused by anxiety... it does seem to be more than a coincidence that, as soon as I am completely reassured that I don't have one illness, I start developing symptoms of another one... doesn't it?! I'm pretty sure that that's what my doctor will tell me if I go to him again. I was just wondering if anyone else experiences this "swapping and changing" of symptoms, or if hearing about the symptoms of a particular illness seems to cause you to suddenly develop them? (As that happens to me as well)

Thanks for reading, I will appreciate any replies!

-x-

Serenity1990
14-05-14, 16:48
This is actually positive! This thread may be of some use:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showpost.php?p=373591&postcount=3

Fizzy Warrior
14-05-14, 17:05
Wow, thanks so much, Serenity! :D That makes perfect sense!
In my moments of panic (often late at night) I convince myself that I must have something seriously wrong with me, but then at other times, when I'm thinking more rationally, I realise that my collection of symptoms are so wide-ranging that they really can't all be related to one illness, so really, the only logical explanation is that they are caused by anxiety, and that article has proved it, because some of my symptoms really have disappeared as soon as I've accepted that they are not physical symptoms of any real illness. Even the dreaded Google (which I KNOW I shouldn't mess with!!) is in agreement on this one: If I Google any one of my symptoms individually, I get all sorts of scary results that convince me it's terminal, but when I have tried Googling them all together, as a whole, the only results any search ever comes back with is "anxiety-related".

I'm saying all this, telling myself that it is anxiety and that I just need to overcome it, that I am not really ill.... maybe some day I will fully believe it! I'm getting there...! :)

Thanks for that article, it has been a help. :)

Serenity1990
14-05-14, 17:21
Everything written by itoldyouiwasill is a great help!

Fizzy Warrior
14-05-14, 18:16
Thanks! :D