PDA

View Full Version : getting my kids a kitty!!

eve22
15-05-14, 17:28
In about 3 weeks our kitten will be ready to come home, it was born about 2 weeks ago!
I have no clue on how to be a mommy to a kitty!
Can someone please help me on what to do when i bring her home and how to raise her with a 5month, 2,3 and 5 year old children!?
My husband is worried about it pooping in the house, im worried about how she will act with the kids vs verse !!

All honestly i love animals, 5 years ago my dog died and it hurt so much, my dad who also just passed 2 months ago got her for me, she was like my siter and my parents daughter!
I'm not great on losing things, with my anxiety and things i just have trouble getting close to things because of the fear of losing them!
I want a comfort pet, i'm tired of ANXIETY HOLDING ME BACK!!!!!!

Annie0904
15-05-14, 17:34
If you are buying your kitten from a good breeder it should be litter trained by the time you get it. Just make sure you have the litter tray in a place the kitten can easily get to. This site might be helpful to you https://www.whiskas.co.uk/kittens?gclid=CMzRou2trr4CFSGWtAod_yYAVw

Elen
15-05-14, 17:34
Hi

That is a very young age to be getting a kitten, normally the breeder keeps them longer than that.

You are going to have you hands full between your kids and a kitten. I would suggest having a space that she can get to away from your kids.

Are you having her as an indoor cat?

This will mean having litter tray etc, again best kept away from the children but needs to be easily accessible for the cat.

Can the breeder not give you any ideas? Keeping her on the same food to start with is also a good idea to avoid any upset tums.

It would be a good idea to get it checked over by your vet just to ensure that everything is ok.

I am sure that others will be on with other suggestions and good luck with your new addition.

Annie0904
15-05-14, 17:36
Oh yes Elen I just noticed the age :( They really should not go from their mothers until about 8 weeks old.

Fishmanpa
15-05-14, 18:08
Minimum age for a kitten to go to it's forever home is 8 weeks as mentioned. Even at that. It will be tiny. I'll be repeating what has been said but it's worth repeating. Definitely take it to the vet for a check up after you bring it home. Our boy had already gotten his first set of shots and came with health certification and papers.

With 4 little ones in the house it will be a big and scary place for that little fuzzball. It's best you have an area or room where it can become acclimated and feel comfortable for the first few weeks. Have a litter box (covered is best), food and water ready to go. Ask what the kitten has been eating and stick with that food. Most kittens, if they're from a breeder are litter trained or at least have an idea of what to do. In any case, when you bring it home, one of the first things to do is put it in the litter box. They get the idea really quick.

I suggest you introduce it to the children slowly. Little ones don't really know how to handle a cat properly so you'll have to teach them and have supervised time with them and the new baby. The kitten has to learn how to interact as well. They have sharp teeth and claws and play to them is basically hunting so you'll have to be careful on both fronts.

When I got my Pixie Bob, he was 8 weeks old. I kept him in my bedroom for the first week or so. He had his litter box in the bathroom and food and water nearby. When I was at work, He stayed in the bedroom. I did that until he was about 4 months old. After that he had run of our home.he's never had an accident, even when traveling (we put a litter box in the back seat of the truck and he can go if he needs to). Our boy is totally an indoor cat. We have him chipped as well just in case.

Keep in mind that cats are pretty sensitive to your moods. If you're stressed, it will sense that so having a calm and loving demeanor helps greatly in helping your kitty adjust and grow into a loving and affectionate companion. There are many books and videos on Youtube about raising a kitten. The more you know, the better the experience will be.

Positive thoughts

eve22
17-05-14, 14:45
Well i must have mixed up the dates, i called her and brought to her attention, there 5 weeks old now!
Sorry guys for the scare lol :doh:
This is the message.
"The kittens were born about 5 weeks ago, i will be dropping her off at your home at 2! Thank you for giving her a great home, i just do not have enough time for them because of my crazy work hours! See you soon!

Thank you for all the reply's, i was thinking of having her inside but what is something great to keep the fleas and tics away?
I guess YouTube will be my best friend on this to learn more about a kitten!

Annie0904
17-05-14, 14:56
I don't know if you can get it in USA but most people here use this http://uk.frontline.com/pages/default.aspx
If you are keeping her inside though fleas and ticks won't be so much of a worry.

eve22
17-05-14, 15:08
Yes, i think i have heard of it! thank you!

SADnomore
17-05-14, 16:20
Hi, Eve! I agree with Fishmanpa, poor wee baby will be overwhelmed, and you will want each of the children to have a chance to bond with it, which won't happen if it's just sort of thrown into the fray, lol! So will the kitten be 8 weeks by then? That's usual. They will have just been weaned and be able to be handled (gently) for short periods. Affection is of course, important for them and they will be lonely when awake, and mew. :weep: Missing mommy and siblings. Maybe the oldest child can be left for a little visit alone on the bed with it? Then the oldest can watch the others while you sit in the other room with a smaller child and the kitten and show her how to comfort the kitten with gentle strokes and talking to it. :) Kitty will sleep a LOT anyway for awhile, hope they're not too disappointed! Your youngest is so little she can probably wait til last turn (ooo, mean!) Lol, you know what I mean, she will be interested, but not clamouring so much and can be distracted to do something else! :winks: So maybe you can set up a take-turns schedule, and the "next" child can occasionally listen for the kitten's mew from your bedroom. I don't know how that will work, just a suggestion! It may seem easier just to let it all happen at once, but you do want the kitten to be a good companion and not just run and hide from the kids all the time (or run away!!) The investment of a good start for them all will pay off! ... I have a preference to keep our cats indoors. Safe from dogs, cars, fights with other cats, and being made sick from things they will encounter. Nonetheless, you will still need to have it fixed. A male will "roam" otherwise and spray (EWWW! talk about stink!), and a female will try to run off too. And attract spraying males to your door whenever she's in heat. You'll need to have an appointment set up for a little less than 6 months of age. We thought we had a few extra weeks, but our little kitten went into heat first and we had to pay double for her surgery. Also, she was really hateful afterwards and needed to be put back in the bedroom while she healed. Hissed at everyone. In fact we put her in a big kennel and covered it with a blanket, and put it back in the bedroom. Put her food and litter in there and took her out to stretch her legs while we would clean it and straighten up. One of us would watch her so she didn't jump. It was a couple of weeks before she was her normal self again and safe to let out to jump on furniture etc. Is your kitty a male or female?
So excited for you! Cats are fabulous pets! :bighug1:
Marie xx

eve22
17-05-14, 16:41
I knew you would be here for me:hugs: like always!!!!!
its a girl:D!! She is a pretty stone looking almost blue color with baby blue eyes!!
All that sounds like a great idea, i cant wait for her to get here, our vet is right down the street from were i live so i will take her there for a check up! then when she is ready to get fixed, lord knows we dont need no more babies round here !!! lol:roflmao:
Thanks for the reply!!!!!

SADnomore
17-05-14, 17:05
Don't need no more babies around there is right! That really made me LOL!! You have your hands full now, the kitty is meant to give them a distraction, right? Ha ha! And she will ... :D
p.s. She sounds beautiful! Maybe you can post a pic later?

Annie0904
17-05-14, 17:13
Would love to see a picture of your kitten. I love cats :) My 2 stay indoors and they are lovely company for me. My Siamese follows me every time I move. My other one is a Silver Bengal.
Have you got a name for your kitten yet?

Daisy Sue
17-05-14, 23:43
I've had kittens & cats most of my adult life.. only one of them was under 8 weeks when I got her and I had to use a baby's newborn size teat to feed her as she was too small to even drink milk from a saucer.

If your kitten isn't quite litter trained yet, you can help train her by having her face away from you, with you gently holding her two front paws, and scratch the paws in the litter, like they do after they've done a wee. If you do this for a few seconds a few times a day, especially straight after any puddles anywhere, she'll get the message :)

Don't give her normal milk to drink, you can get lactose free milk for cats from supermarkets, or just plain water.

Oh and keep threads & elastic bands well hidden! I speak from experience :(

eve22
18-05-14, 01:32
I sure will post a pic, but how do you post pic on here??
I'm getting so excited, even tho i do have my hands full being a stay home mom gets boring at times, always need something extra!!

Thank you ladys!!

Im glad i can always come back and look at this so i can remember it all!!!

Annie0904
18-05-14, 08:27
Under the quick reply box, click on Go Advanced. Click on the paper clip and it will come up with another box to download your photo. When you have downloaded the photo click on the paper clip again and attach the photo.

eve22
18-05-14, 15:06

eve22
18-05-14, 15:07
My baby on the left and my best friends on the right, we were pregnant at the same time!!!

Annie0904
18-05-14, 15:08
:D

---------- Post added at 15:08 ---------- Previous post was at 15:07 ----------

so cute :)

eve22
18-05-14, 15:32
Thank you :D

eve22
18-05-14, 17:57
2131lol oh my!! i found this it sent me to the floor laughing!!!!:roflmao:
SORRY FOR THE BAD WORD!!!!

Annie0904
18-05-14, 18:41
:D

SADnomore
18-05-14, 18:42
First of all, I would give both those babies another cookie just for being so darn cute!! Lol! ... Oh, those funny cat photos that turn up on Facebook are so hilarious, aren't they? Cat expressions like that really go with those captions! Ha ha! My favorite is a photo of a little kitten sitting looking guilty on a laptop keyboard with the caption "If not for sits, then why is warm?" :roflmao:

Annie0904
18-05-14, 19:13
These are my 2 cats

SADnomore
18-05-14, 19:39
Oh, they're stunning, Annie! We have a (large) :ohmy: Siamese/Ragdoll cross boy, and a little purebred Siamese girl. They are kinda demanding, but my husband loves that about them :wacko: How do yours get along? Ours are best friends :hugs:

Fishmanpa
18-05-14, 19:55
Since you're talking about kittens, I figured I post a pic of our boy when I first got him at 8 weeks. He's a Pixie Bob and you can see the resemblance to his bobcat ancestry. He'll be 4 in November and weighs in at a solid 15lbs of solid cat. Tell me this isn't totally "awwwwww" :)

Positive thoughts

Annie0904
18-05-14, 19:59
Aww Fishmanpa he is so cute :)
My 2 get on really well. Chai (the silver Bengal) was 2 when we got Ryuu (12 weeks old) they got along really well right from the beginning and look out for each other. Once Chai got locked in the bathroom and when I got home Ryuu ran straight to me meowing frantically to tell me :)

SADnomore
18-05-14, 20:15
Awww! So sweet, FMP! Our older cat, Thomas, was about 4 when we got Suki. She was just a handful like that too. Used to chew on my husband's thumb, lol!

Fishmanpa
18-05-14, 20:15
They're both beautiful Annie! We keep thinking about another but we're going to wait until we move to a bigger place. This way we'll have room and also Socrates won't be so territorial. He's spent his whole life in our current residence and he's the king here. I wouldn't want to upset the apple cart if you know what I mean. I think in a new place he would adapt better an take the baby under his wing. We discussed it and would get another Pixie Bob... a female this time.

Positive thoughts

SADnomore
18-05-14, 20:19
Thomas and Suki. They didn't get along the first few days, but she wore him down with her demanding little mews and he became like a "mother' to her, lol! They are still pretty tight, but catching them like this is rare, as his coat is thick and he gets too warm (although she would love it, spoiled thing she is!)

Annie0904
18-05-14, 20:24
Aww so sweet :) These cat pictures are cheering me up tonight

eve22
18-05-14, 20:26
Oh my goodness all of you all's cats are ADORABLE!!!!!
THE BOMB.COM:D
to cute!!!
lol facebook has some off the wall things!

swgrl09
18-05-14, 20:42
I am such a "cat lady" and these pics are sooo cute!!! I don't know what I'd do without my two cats.

eve22
18-05-14, 21:43
:D Im glad your getting cheerful:hugs: