PDA

View Full Version : Need help/advice from veteran Health Anxiety sufferers.

DollyBrown
15-05-14, 20:39
Hi everyone.

So in a nutshell I've been recently diagnosed with Health Anxiety. Although I've only just been diagnosed it has been building up for a few years and is now at quite a severe point.

I am only 22 years old and I am finding that it's completely taken over my life. I have a loving partner, a wonderful home, a beautiful baby, a stable job and I am due to continue my university education. I feel like I have much more than most people my age and I should be extraordinarily grateful for it and happy and content with life. But I can't find joy in anything anymore as this anxiety is constantly like an elephant in the room.

I feel like I am constantly in pain somewhere in my body. Sometimes I'm rational and think 'It's the anxiety causing that'. Most of the time I generally think the worst. I've probably believed that I've got every cancer going along with every serious disease possible. I'm terrified that one day it will be something serious but no-one will know because 'Oh, it will just be your anxiety' again.

I am currently going through Cognitive Behaviour Therapy sessions once a week. I'm on my 6th week and I really don't feel it's making much of a difference. I've always turned down any form of anti-anxiety medication that's been offered to me in fear of it making me worse.

Any help/advice anyone could give about coping or living with Health Anxiety would be very much appreciated. I'd love to hear other people's stories to know I'm not alone. If anyone has any first hand experience with CBT or anti-anxiety medication that would also be great to know! I don't think I can cope with this alone anymore :(

Jolly12
16-05-14, 14:58
Here is what has helped me:

1. One of my symptoms of HA is cyberchondria, I look up everything. What can be empowering though, is instead of looking up diseases you may have, look up what you know you do have and empower yourself. Research Health Anxiety and learn the triggers so you can recognize them when they occur in yourself.

2. Choose to look at things differently. For example, Cancer.org (the C word - I know!) says that 1 out of 4 people will experience cancer in their lives. Crazy huh? But instead of focusing on it like that, look at it like this: 3 out of 4 will NOT experience cancer in their lives. Same information just changing how you look at it.

3. I was on medicine for years, after 3 attempts, thanks to God, I finally came off. I take Magnesium and Vitamin D and they help. I also get to the gym 4-5 days a week. I don't drink as much as I used to either because alcohol exacerbates my symptoms.

4. I make a conscious choice every day to not look up my symptoms. I also am a Christian so I take time every day to pray and to meditate.

5. Be thankful for each day you have. Nobody is promised 70, 80, 90 years here. We aren't even promised tomorrow. As doom and gloom as that may sound, its a reality. You may not even die from health problems, I may not either. But even if I live to be 100, if I spent my whole life in fear, what have I really done? Just take it one day at a time. Don't focus on tomorrow, tomorrow will worry about itself, you can only focus on today. One day you may or may not be told your sick, but I bet it won't be today so tell yourself that.

6. Remember, your body is a powerhouse. Our bodies are made to heal themselves, they have an immune system and even science can't make a machine as intricate and finely tuned as ours. We are fearfully and wonderfully made.

7. We live in the western world, we have knowledge and information and medicine at our fingertips. You are a minority. You have more access to help than 3/4 of the world. You are blessed.

8. STAY POSITIVE.

luc
16-05-14, 19:52
Excellent response Jolly 12. I especially like the bit about spending a whole life in fear.

NotCool
16-05-14, 23:52
Yes, Jolly12 listed some good points, so i'll just recycle what she said: regular exercise, balanced diet, steady consistent sleep schedule, meditation, finding a hobby, trying to engage in meaningful social relationships, and don't give up on CBT.