PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Basket Boy
09-12-06, 03:53
Hi everyone.

I have worked for the NHS for the past 25 years (no wonder I'm depressed...) and have been off work for the past 3 months with work-related depression/stress.

Have had great issues with sleeping which have been helped by starting Citalopram about 5 weeks ago. But still crash out during the day and can't seem to get to sleep until the early hours.

I am seeing a counsellor through work, which has been very helpful. And my family has been very supportive, along with a couple of my colleagues and my GP. I hope to return to work part time in the New Year.

I have been "lurking" on this site for a couple of weeks before registering, and it has been really useful to gain some insight into other people's experiences. Helps to put your own into perspective.

Take care everyone.

clickaway
09-12-06, 03:58
Hi and welcome,

As you can guess I too have sleeping problems! I just cannot turn off.

Things I do to try and help me get off include having a gap between being on the PC and turning in, and have just started a reading at bedtime regime. Both those things could help, but with me my anxiety seems to stir more sometimes when I hit the pillows.

I have found this to be a great and comforting site and I hope you find the same.

Take Care,

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

manmoor
09-12-06, 11:03
Hi Basketboy,

A big warm welcome to you.

Take Care

Mandyxx

sandie
09-12-06, 11:18
Hello basketboy

I sympathise greatly with the sleep issues. I'm absolutely exhausted at the moment - really badly sleep-deprived and its affecting everything I do. I haven't had a good night's sleep in weeks, and last night I only managed 2 hours so I'm bouncing off the walls at the moment.

Have found NMP really helpful and supportive - it helps with the loneliness too, as well as giving good practical advice. Glad you stopped lurking and joined.

I would welcome any views about Citalopram - is it better than prozac with less side effects; I wonder if it would help me - I've been on a terrible down for weeks now - don't seem able to be positive about anything (but then it's difficult to feel good when you are so tired). How has it helped your mood? Does it help with the panic attacks which seem to have increased in frequency and severity in the last few weeks?

Thanks

Sandie

jo61
09-12-06, 11:29
Welcome to the forum. I only discovered this site a few weeks ago and it's been very comforting to know that I'm not alone with this horrible illness.

Jo

honeybee3939
09-12-06, 12:29
Hi Basketboy

A BIG warm welcome to you, lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice here while making new friends on the way.:D

I take Citalopram also, they have been a great help for me on the road to recovery, sounds like they are helping you also.

Heres a few posts that may help too.

Sleep help
Sleep zzzzz (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5413)
insomnia, insomnia, insomnia etc.... (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6002)
Sleep problems (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6260)
HELP! Problems with sleeping. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7144)

love

Andrea
xxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

domino
09-12-06, 15:47
Hi basketboy, welcome to n.m.p. we are all here for you , help is just a click away. take care ,lorraine.:D:D

sandlin
09-12-06, 16:37
Hi

I too work for the nhs (10 years) and am currently off, had good counselling and have cbt soon. Its a great site - welcome.

Linda

yorkylover
09-12-06, 16:46
Hi and welcome,you will get lots of support and helpful advise here.You have come to the right place.;)

Ellen XX

Basket Boy
09-12-06, 16:54
Thank you everyone for this very kind welcome - it's so good to know there are people out there who understand!

Sandie - I will send you a PM shortly.

Chris.

Lynnann
09-12-06, 17:13
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum, you are no longer alone. You will make some great friends here and get loads of good advice and support.

Hugs to you

Lynnann

LickeyEndBlues
11-12-06, 00:02
Hi Basket Boy

Welcome. I was in education for about 28 years and was medically retired about 2 years ago so I think I can relate to what you are saying!!!

I too an on Citalopram and I have to say, once it settled into my system I felt a lot better...including getting better sleep patterns. I try to have a set routine and try to make myself get up...even after a bad night. Doesn't always work but it is a lot better that previously!!!

As you have discovered there is a lot of good stuff in here.

Take care

Iain

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

trac67
11-12-06, 01:07
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'