PDA

View Full Version : gums hurt after dentist appt

swgrl09
17-05-14, 01:11
So I had a dental cleaning done Tuesday ... the hygienist, although a very nice man, was a bit rough with the metal tools he used to clean under my gums and between my teeth. My gums are STILL sore today. I can't use my mouthwash because it burns my gums. My electric toothbrush hurts too.

Is it normal to be sore this long after??? Ugh this is one reason why I hate going.

Humly
27-06-14, 19:42
Hi just read this post and I am in exactly the same boat. My gums are really sore at the back and my tooth feels as if its hurting because of it. Why they have to poke and prod the gums like that to "check" them I just dont know. It really hurts now and when she cleaned them with some contraption I nearly jumped out of the chair. Horrible. So its only 2 days later but my anxiety is telling me I have an infection etc etc. How long did yours take to settle down?

Munchlet
28-06-14, 23:49
I think it depends on who does the treatment, normally I'm fine after a visit to my dentist/hygienist but last time my gums were really sore for a couple of days after. She used a metal probe and an electric one and it really hurt, felt like she'd gone too far under the gumline if that makes sense. Anyway it did hurt for a couple of days after so I would say yes if the person who has done it has been a bit rough it's normal to feel a bit sore/tender after.

I also remember once my dentist was quite rough and caught my gum with a drill and I had a swollen lymph node after that (was before my ha days so didn't worry at the time!).