PDA

View Full Version : Drinking on prozac

Bgary530
17-05-14, 01:23
Hey all,
Just started 10mg prozac 5 days ago for anxiety/panic attacks. In the past I have enjoyed one or two cocktails before bed or with the family while at dinner. I have stayed with my routine the past 5 days and haven't noticed any differnce drinking while on prozac. I don't understand it thoug because I have read multiple people talking about blacking out after one drink while taking prozac? I realize Alcohol is a depressant and prozac is a anti depressant but I was never depressed to begin with I just needed help with the obsessive thoughts. My mom is also a glass or two of wine type of person and was also on prozac for 5 years and noticed no differnce with alcohol. Please no comments from people explaining to me that alcohol is the root of all evil and I don't need it. I'm just a person who liked to enjoy a drink with my family and friends. Just want to hear people's experiences thanks!

HalfJack
17-05-14, 01:47
I used to take Fluoxetine and drink, never a problem in the slightest. For some people it must be an issue I guess but not for me.

Bgary530
17-05-14, 03:00
I used to take Fluoxetine and drink, never a problem in the slightest. For some people it must be an issue I guess but not for me.

Yeah I feel the same way so far. I have always enjoyed a cocktail or beer at night but have never been the type or person to black out or go crazy just making sure I'm not missing anything here and it's not like drinking on a benzo or anything.

anthrokid
17-05-14, 04:04
Whilst prozac is always referred to as an 'antidepressant', it has multiple functions, not just to act on depression. It's an effective medication in terms of OCD, anxiety and disorders that involve repetitive or intrusive thoughts. Just thought I'd put that out there before talking about the alcohol side, just in case you were wondering why you'd been prescribed prozac.

SSRIs affect everyone differently. The reason people express caution in regard to drinking alcohol in conjunction with prozac is that, for some people, it can lead to faster or stronger alcohol effects than usual. If you've not noticed any difference between your response to alcohol since you've started prozac then you shouldn't worry yourself too much about it. The interaction between alcohol and prozac isn't a particularly strong one for the majority of people. However, be wary that if you consume larger amounts than the regular 1-2 cocktails you may be affected more than usual. One of the bigger impacts people tend to notice when taking SSRIs and consuming alcohol is increased drowsiness.

OncewasSupergirl
18-05-14, 23:18
It makes me feel very drunk very quickly and the hangovers are horrendous so I tend not to drink much at all x

pollynewsome
14-05-15, 14:45
ive been having one can of lager of an evening or a small glass of wine.. Like yourself i like a social drink but dont like to get drunk.. the only thing that worrys me is that i am week 8 in adn still having bad anxiety days.. a few good days mind in between.. but i do wonder if its the alcohol stopping the prozac from working properly.. Could this be the case?? But like i say i am talking one can of lager 440 can so not even a pint.. x