PDA

View Full Version : Underactive thyroid/Thyroxine pills

mum83
17-05-14, 19:32
Hi guys. I've had a phobia of taking pills since 2011 when a GP I no longer see prescribed me an antidepressant which I had a horrendous reaction to. Last month I was told I have an underactive thyroid (Tsh 8.2, T4 11.7 and Peroxidase antibody level >1300) and my GP prescribed me 50 mcg of thyroxine. Of course I read the list of possible side effects and it said I could experience "nervousness, restlessness" and a bunch of other stuff - and I made myself ill over it - could not take the pill. I spoke to an out of hours GP and he seemed to think I could be ok on 25 mcg, and he was happy to give me these. I've been on them successfully for 3 weeks, but yesterday when I went to see the original GP (for a different issue) who prescribed me the 50 mcgs, he was not impressed with me for having got a second opinion. He wants me to lose weight and says 50 mcg is best for me... Now I have a problem. I still have the original 50 mcg pills, should I start taking them now and give them 3 weeks to kick in before my next blood test is due? I think I want to try it, but will that mess up the test? So confused.

Catherine S
17-05-14, 20:20
Sorry, I answered your other thread before I spotted this one :)

ISB x

mum83
17-05-14, 20:44
:) Thank you!

yenool
17-05-14, 21:13
I think you should follow the original doctors advice really.
Why? Well...
1) You have tried 25mg with no negative or allergic reaction
2) 50mg is still a low dose of thyroid medication
3) It is thyroid hormone so you are replacing a natural hormone not adding a foreign substance to your body
4) Being hypothyroid can actually cause mental symptoms like depression. Your anxiety may actually be improved by taking the medication.
5) Getting proper thyroid levels will improve your overall health; reduce fatigue, muscle aches, aid weight loss, etc.

Also, the side effects like nervousness, racing heart, restlessness, etc, really only happen if you are taking too much medication. Your doctor has started you on a low dose and will monitor your blood levels carefully to make sure that does not happen.

mum83
17-05-14, 22:13
Thank you Yenool. You're right. I'm think I'm going to go for it in the morning! :)

kivyt73
18-05-14, 01:22
I am med phobic as well and hypothyroid and did not want to take my thyroid pills but I knew I had to and now I wonder why I waited. I truly think this is a wonder drug and I feel so much better since I started taking it. No side effects at all. You will be fine just take it and keep yourself busy and before you know it you won't even think about it anymore.
Ivy

mum83
18-05-14, 13:42
Just to let you know, I took 50 mcgs this morning and I'm still alive! I have faced my fear and it's a great feeling.

Now, for the other things I have to work on...

julia
18-05-14, 20:35
I hate taking meds terrifies me but knew I had to take my thyroxene I have taken it since 2007, 150 mcg you will be fine if I get a but hyper ,nervous etc as you Saud a blood test and change if amount soon gets it under control thus us one med you dont need to be scared if will be closely monitored and easily altered you will feel soooo much better when on correct dose I promise xxx

---------- Post added at 20:35 ---------- Previous post was at 20:33 ----------

Sorry about spelling using phone and not wearing glasses lol!!

pringles
18-05-14, 22:19
Hiya mum 83.. I do not have a thyroid gland so that makes me completely under active. I was diagnosed at five weeks old. Taking thyroxine obviously saves my life but has no negative impact on my life apart from yearly blood tests. Of course its different if you are just diagnosed but its not a life threatening problem just a life changing one. Those tablets will make you feel much much better once settled. Just take each day at a time. Im on 150 mg a day and used to take 200mg so I know how you feel. good luck with it all xx